The Walking Dead

This guy has yet another strong take and makes a lot of good points.  He does mention here that the comic ALL OUT WAR arc was better, and he's not wrong, but overall the arc was just hard to do on both mediums.  Gimple also handcuffs the direction of every story arc so there's that.  I think the 2nd half will be a lot stronger, but season 9 should be fantastic.

Edited by Redux
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And now it is sounding like AMC refused to give Lauren Cohan a decent raise and she has accepted a role on a new show.  So, congrats AMC and Gimple, you have officially screwed the pooch.  Gimple makes Carl die for basically no reason other than to swerve the comic fans, and AMC causes main fixture Maggie to leave the show.  There is basically no coming back from this now, the source material is going to be more like suggestive at this point.

I would say this...don't leave a hit TV show because you think you are bigger than it...I remember when all those girls kept leaving Baywatch because they wanted more money and of course the "Hoff" wouldn't pay them more...he basically just said "I can always find another hot blonde with a great body to play the part" and he did.

More actors should be like Steve Sanders from 90210...just stay with the show that is working and collect your checks.

Yeah I think it's  a bad move on her part, hopefulluy both sides cave.  They have a "you can only be on this show" clause.  And the show she is going to sounds like a flop waiting to happen.  Maybe they just write her character off for a season and she comes back, that would be ideal.  After killing off Andrea and Carl far too early, this woud be a major blow to rewrite another major character having to take on a different role.

Edited by Redux

Right now she is signed on for a pilot for ABC.  For starters, there's no guarantee it will be picked up, and secondly, since it's only a pilot, it's easy for her to get out of it.  This is more a leverage move for her to get the pay raise. I'm not too worried about this one yet.

Saw that, while being denied, I still think it's a leverage move.  Smart for her, she's showing she's willing to walk and has deals in place.  I'm sure by end of March she'll have a contract and AMC will have stepped up to the plate.   If not, the show will have to deviate so much from source material, it won't be recognizable anymore and will most likely not survive past season 9

Outside of the Carl situation, I wasn't too upset with Gimple and what he's done.  In fact, I've actually liked the last season and half.  Curious what they do the rest of the season and when they bring in the new antagonist.   I'm fairly sure there will be another time jump at the end of this season, maybe Judy grows up and takes some of the roles that Carl would have had.  And by the way, I HATE HATE HATE that Kirkman teased that Carl may not die on the show.

2 hours ago, sho said:

Outside of the Carl situation, I wasn't too upset with Gimple and what he's done.  In fact, I've actually liked the last season and half.  Curious what they do the rest of the season and when they bring in the new antagonist.   I'm fairly sure there will be another time jump at the end of this season, maybe Judy grows up and takes some of the roles that Carl would have had.  And by the way, I HATE HATE HATE that Kirkman teased that Carl may not die on the show.

I don't hate the show by any means, even though I'm pretty disappointed by the whole war storyline and how they dropped the ball with it, the season has been enjoyable for the most part.  The Carl getting bit arc isn't and wasn't shocking.  They only did it to trol l the comic fans and it was a terrible move.  Chandler Riggs would have seen this thing through til the end, instead they are eliminating a MAJOR role of all stories moving forward.  If they try to rewrite it for Judith, it's not goimg to be good.  The time jump would be too far off in the future.  Basically I expect Enid to take Carl's role which is severely underwhelming.  Or, and I actually prefer, they are purposely swerving the fans again and Carl actually got bit by a Whisperer (see my post from Dec. 13).

The entire Whisperer arc is going to be really good on TV I think, regardless who they do or don't kill off.  I'm not giving uo on the show, but I'm not anywhere near as invested in it.  The comic is WAY better.