Starting Defensive End?

True2tRA

Who should be out there more?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's going to continue to be that rotation we're seeing. I presume Ankrah will continue to start opposite Stache, but we'll continue to see plenty of Williams and Martin. There was no dropoff when the "backups" came in, and I put backups in quotes because they're really just "not starting." They play a ton.

Martin was let loose to go get Cousins last week, and it was one of the first times he's been set free all year - same with Stache. That mushy "contain" thing they do too often makes me want to vomit. I wish they would just let these guys pin their ears back and blast the QB early and often. So what if he breaks free for 15 yards every couple of plays? Every other play we're going to tag him pretty good, and soon those 15 yard scrambles are going to be two yard scrambles. It's hard to run fleetly downfield when your ribs are half staved in.

Bo runs a smart defensive scheme. It's just not aggressive. I'm a big fan of McBride's heavy-pressure defense. I wish we would go back to that.

• Fire 1

Against MSU, we had a couple of snaps (mostly passing situations) that we had Stache, Josh, Carter and EMart on the line. Highly effective, I thought. It will be interesting to see what we do against NWU. Persa isn't near as top end fast as he was before his injury last year, but can still move in the pocket pretty good. Colter, on the other hand, is a really good athlete that runs the zone read very well.

As always, you need great disipline to play defense, but it's even more paramount this week. Don't over look the Cat's

I think Ankrah has stepped up, but then again all of them have. If Ankrah is starting, that likely says good things about the staff feeling he's probably the most complete player.

Sam McKewon's monday recap article specifically praised Williams for stepping up his game. Emart is a terror when pass rushing, but has been known in the past to be a bit of a liability in playing the run. The whole defense seems to be defending the run a lot better the last two and a half games, though, so it's really anyone's spot to take.

I'd have to guess it stays the same, with Ankrah starting, higher doses of Williams mixed in, with Caveman getting more reps in pass rushing situations.