Belly G

Okay today was the second time in the past four days that I've heard Nebraska's option game referred to as the Belly G option. First by Urban Meyer while he was calling the game Saturday. Now Northwestern Coach Pat Fitzgerald just said it during an interview on 1620. Where the heck did this term come from? Its the first I've heard it in 35 years of following Nebraska.

Okay today was the second time in the past four days that I've heard Nebraska's option game referred to as the Belly G option. First by Urban Meyer while he was calling the game Saturday. Now Northwestern Coach Pat Fitzgerald just said it during an interview on 1620. Where the heck did this term come from? Its the first I've heard it in 35 years of following Nebraska.

i know, i googled it, it was much too technical for me.

The belly G is just one part of the option play in the book.

Basically it's a read off the DE, if the DE comes upfield hard the guard pulls and takes him out and the QB hands to the fullback and the back goes through the C gap (tackle's outside leg hole) if the DE doesn't do that the QB keeps it and it becomes a typical G-Option.

Nebraska ran this play for YEARS before the Callahan era. Eric Crouch was a G-Option Wizard.

NebraskaG.png

• Fire 1

The current Huskers run two main options; the belly option and the Speed Option. The belly option was the option perfected by Coach Osborne's teams. Its really built around the path of the fullback and quarterback. The QB reverses out, opening away from the play call. The FB takes an off-tackle path. After the fake from the QB, the FB bounces outside to lead the QB if he keeps. Its always ran out of a two back set.

The term "G" simply means "Guard" and it stems from the "G" blocking scheme where the Guard on the play side pulls and then immediately targets the end man on the line of scrimmage. The play side tight end and tackle both block down which should seal the edge. The fullback then has to read the guards block. He can then go inside or outside of the pulling guard, but has to read the guard to determine where his block needs to go. The quarterback then has the "option" to keep or pitch based on the pursuit of the unblocked linebacker or DB attempting to move up in support.

Because Martinez also spins away from the playside, he can also handoff to the Fullback with the Fullback trap. When it works, there is usually nobody within 10 yards of the fullback by the time he reaches the 2nd level of the defense. When it doesn't work, the FB can be stood up for a 2 yard loss.

• Fire 4

The current Huskers run two main options; the belly option and the Speed Option. The belly option was the option perfected by Coach Osborne's teams. Its really built around the path of the fullback and quarterback. The QB reverses out, opening away from the play call. The FB takes an off-tackle path. After the fake from the QB, the FB bounces outside to lead the QB if he keeps. Its always ran out of a two back set.

The term "G" simply means "Guard" and it stems from the "G" blocking scheme where the Guard on the play side pulls and then immediately targets the end man on the line of scrimmage. The play side tight end and tackle both block down which should seal the edge. The fullback then has to read the guards block. He can then go inside or outside of the pulling guard, but has to read the guard to determine where his block needs to go. The quarterback then has the "option" to keep or pitch based on the pursuit of the unblocked linebacker or DB attempting to move up in support.

Because Martinez also spins away from the playside, he can also handoff to the Fullback with the Fullback trap. When it works, there is usually nobody within 10 yards of the fullback by the time he reaches the 2nd level of the defense. When it doesn't work, the FB can be stood up for a 2 yard loss.

Yep, it's called that because of the Guard pulling. The announcers(esp. Meyer) actually went over it pretty well during the game. He actually mentioned there are probably only 3-4 teams in FBS that run it. Spielman said GTech, and Meyer said no and corrected him that GTech runs the Dive option.

The Belly G is unlike the lead option like Georgia tech runs where the FB dives to begin the play taking the place of the guard, and in the G option the guard leads the play. We actually run 2-3 different options, but the Belly-G was the won we ran the most against MSU and really the one we have ran the most over the last 3 or so games. We sprinkle in the Dive option and the speed option also.

Yep, it's called that because of the Guard pulling. They actually went over it pretty well during the game. It is unlike the lead option like Georgia tech runs where the FB leads the play, in the G option the guard leads the play. We actually run 2-3 different options, but the Belly-G was the won we ran the most against MSU and really the one we have ran the most over the last 3 or so games. We sprinkle in the FB lead and the speed option also.

NCAA football for the ps3 has taught me absolutely nothing. what a waste.

Thing I don't like about this play is that they usually expect the guard to sort of hook around and get on the outside of the DE if he doesn't go upfield/ if its called an option ahead of time. From my experience it was really hard to make that block. Not sure if we've been doing it exactly the same though.

Yep, it's called that because of the Guard pulling. They actually went over it pretty well during the game. It is unlike the lead option like Georgia tech runs where the FB leads the play, in the G option the guard leads the play. We actually run 2-3 different options, but the Belly-G was the won we ran the most against MSU and really the one we have ran the most over the last 3 or so games. We sprinkle in the FB lead and the speed option also.

NCAA football for the ps3 has taught me absolutely nothing. what a waste.

lol

To quote Urban:

"Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G Belly G"

What gives, are you paraphrasing for the sake of brevity?

I thought I would puke if he said that phrase one more time.

Great explanation of the play guys. I never played football, but love to watch it and it's this kind of stuff that let's me enjoy it more--and why I troll message boards.

I love it when announcers point out plays and what they're seeing as coaches..cause most the time I'm paying attention to the ball or whatever food item I'm shoving into my face and not learning anything.

I think he kept bringing it up because he was impressed. I got the feeling he was impressed with our defense too because he repeatedly mentioned our "2 deep set thingy" (my words...not his)

-----------

Oh and yeah, my first post. A troll no longer! Yeah me.