Rex Burkhead

As others have said, he's not flashy, and he doesn't have the exposure required.

Remember Suh in his last year, when we were clamoring for him to be invited to New York? That trip wasn't cemented until he singlehandedly dismantled the #2 ranked team in a high profile CCG. Rex needs something on that level to be in the conversation.

As others have said, he's not flashy, and he doesn't have the exposure required.

Remember Suh in his last year, when we were clamoring for him to be invited to New York? That trip wasn't cemented until he singlehandedly dismantled the #2 ranked team in a high profile CCG. Rex needs something on that level to be in the conversation.

honestly, i just can not see bo or carl putting rex in on defense.

• Fire 1

To put it simple, he is a star in Nebraska. Thats it, thats all. I see where espn B10 bloggers give him Mr Oct, which is nice and all, but Coker was reconized nationally, BIG difference. Thats what it takes to win a heisman. I am not saying Coker ever will, but he does have 2 more years after this one to punish the B10. http://www.bigten.or...nce-awards.html

Coker has had a good season but the only stat that he leads Rex Burkhead in is rushing yards by about 80, Rex has a better ypc, TD's. But the biggest difference is who each team played and right now Iowa State/Penn state might have been your best opponent vs ours of your choice, Wisconson, Ohio st, MSU you could even say Washington. I can only imagine the stats Burkhead would have right now with Iowa's current schedule.

Here is the break down, like I said it's all about national reconition, as there are several very good rb's in the B10. As for espn, make up your own mind about what they say, but atleast you can admit the top 4 are all pretty darn close to each other.

http://bigtennetwork....asp?cat=2&lg=4.

As for sos, give me a break. Out of the games you mentioned you had ONE away game, yet the 2 you mentioned for Iowa were away games. OSU down and missing guys? Wash? Really? I will say you all played MSU very well, but it was your D who won that game for you. I also noticed Coker had almost as many rushing yards against MN as the whole Husker team. You won we lost, I get that, but those rushing yards were against the exact same team. So lets compare apples to apples if you want to get into a pizzing match. I have said Rex is good and so are many other RB's in the B10, what more do you want? Sorry if I am not jumping on the Rex train, given he does not lead in any catagory.

You haven't stopped to consider that maybe Coker piled up 200 some rushing yards on one of the worst teams in the NCAA because he HAD to in order for Iowa to even be competitive? I mean, he piled up all those yards and Iowa still lost. Rex Burkhead didn't play most of the second half against Minnesota, and they didn't even need him to do much in the first half because our WR took the ball 82 yards for a TD and our defense scored a TD and Brandon Kinnie took a screen pass 60 some yards to the goalline.

Rex is the best RB in the Big Ten right now. And for you Husker fans who aren't interested in debating whether Rex can stay with Coker in terms of "national recognition" you might want to see what a former Heisman Winner and one of the best college RBs of all time had to say about Rex's Heisman chances.

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/roziers_regard_for_rex.html

"What is he, a junior?" Rozier asked. "He'll be up for the Heisman next year if he keeps doing what he's doing."

Suh had a website made just for him with quotes, stats, highlights and etc. made by the university to promote him; if Rex goes into next season with any amount of national/conference hype and starts the season off strong, don't be surprised if we see a website made for him as well.

Don't act as if Suh was below the national radar before the Texas game -- He was already considered the top DT in the upcoming draft before the season started, and the Thursday night primetime game against Mizzou was his national coming out party. He had a College Gameday segment, personal website, moving up the mock draft charts, etc.

it's gonna be a shame if Rex Burkhead's worthiness is based on ypc. Not that his ypc is something to be ashamed of, but it is not a good statistic to use to evaluate him. Alot of what Rex is being called on to do is be the absolute workhorse and leader of the offense, not so much the big play guy.

Suh had a website made just for him with quotes, stats, highlights and etc. made by the university to promote him; if Rex goes into next season with any amount of national/conference hype and starts the season off strong, don't be surprised if we see a website made for him as well.

Don't act as if Suh was below the national radar before the Texas game -- He was already considered the top DT in the upcoming draft before the season started, and the Thursday night primetime game against Mizzou was his national coming out party. He had a College Gameday segment, personal website, moving up the mock draft charts, etc.

You're right about that website the University put together, I had forgotten about that. It wasn't really a Heisman promotional campaign, it was more about getting him on the radar for the Lombardi and Outland trophies... We could easily see the same thing happen with Rex, and if he puts up numbers like he did this year and Nebraska is in the BCS title talk, he very well might get an invite to New York City.

I always thought Martinez would be the guy to go to NYC if Nebraska was in title contention, but this year, even with Martinez playing pretty well (other than the Wisconsin game), Burkhead is seen as "the guy" and Martinez has become more of a manager. Wouldn't surprise me next year to see Burkhead in the midst of Heisman talk, considering that most of this year's Heisman candidates are all upper classmen for the first time in what seems like a while.

You're right about that website the University put together, I had forgotten about that. It wasn't really a Heisman promotional campaign, it was more about getting him on the radar for the Lombardi and Outland trophies... We could easily see the same thing happen with Rex, and if he puts up numbers like he did this year and Nebraska is in the BCS title talk, he very well might get an invite to New York City.

I always thought Martinez would be the guy to go to NYC if Nebraska was in title contention, but this year, even with Martinez playing pretty well (other than the Wisconsin game), Burkhead is seen as "the guy" and Martinez has become more of a manager. Wouldn't surprise me next year to see Burkhead in the midst of Heisman talk, considering that most of this year's Heisman candidates are all upper classmen for the first time in what seems like a while.

Just because it didn't specifically say "Suh 4 Heisman" or something similar doesn't mean it wasn't made with that in mind :) It popped up right when fans were all talking about starting some amateur websites and facebook/twitter accounts to promote him

The Heisman holds little validity in my eyes anymore, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Suh not winning in 09 was the nail in the coffin for me, I could care less whether Rex gets Heisman buzz or not.

I agree. It wasn't even that Suh didn't win in 2009 that ticked me off, but it was that he finished behind Colt McCoy. Unbelievable.

That said, the Heisman is still perhaps the most talked about award in sports, and it would bring a lot of good publicity to Nebraska just to have a guy in the running.

The Heisman holds little validity in my eyes anymore, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Suh not winning in 09 was the nail in the coffin for me, I could care less whether Rex gets Heisman buzz or not.

I agree. It wasn't even that Suh didn't win in 2009 that ticked me off, but it was that he finished behind Colt McCoy. Unbelievable.

That said, the Heisman is still perhaps the most talked about award in sports, and it would bring a lot of good publicity to Nebraska just to have a guy in the running.

exactly, it has no integrity, but it still has a lot of value.

To put it simple, he is a star in Nebraska. Thats it, thats all. I see where espn B10 bloggers give him Mr Oct, which is nice and all, but Coker was reconized nationally, BIG difference. Thats what it takes to win a heisman. I am not saying Coker ever will, but he does have 2 more years after this one to punish the B10. http://www.bigten.or...nce-awards.html

Coker has had a good season but the only stat that he leads Rex Burkhead in is rushing yards by about 80, Rex has a better ypc, TD's. But the biggest difference is who each team played and right now Iowa State/Penn state might have been your best opponent vs ours of your choice, Wisconson, Ohio st, MSU you could even say Washington. I can only imagine the stats Burkhead would have right now with Iowa's current schedule.

Here is the break down, like I said it's all about national reconition, as there are several very good rb's in the B10. As for espn, make up your own mind about what they say, but atleast you can admit the top 4 are all pretty darn close to each other.

As for sos, give me a break. Out of the games you mentioned you had ONE away game, yet the 2 you mentioned for Iowa were away games. OSU down and missing guys? Wash? Really? I will say you all played MSU very well, but it was your D who won that game for you. I also noticed Coker had almost as many rushing yards against MN as the whole Husker team. You won we lost, I get that, but those rushing yards were against the exact same team. So lets compare apples to apples if you want to get into a pizzing match. I have said Rex is good and so are many other RB's in the B10, what more do you want? Sorry if I am not jumping on the Rex train, given he does not lead in any catagory.

It was our D that won us that game? And here I was thinking that 24 points against one of the best defenses in the country was good. And taking up all but 5 minutes in the 3rd quarter on two touchdown drives of 80 and 89 yards that sealed the game. The D played awesome, but to say they won it for us is a joke.

Rex is awesome because he leads a team that is winning. Sorry we aren't jumping on the Coker train because he is leading a team that keeps losing.

Minnesota.

Who's this Coker guy? I haven't heard of him. Rex just needs to keep playing the way he has been. It has been great for the team because it takes pressure off Taylor's shoulders. Taylor doesn't have to make the big plays running, all he has to do is manage the game and do what is asked of him, and he has been doing a great job of it so far.