Jamal Turner not playing against MSU is just dumb....

I'm not sure why everyone keeps bringing up Rex. They have no real reason to be upset about that. It's the fact that they might not start a game in their entire college careers because there are three of them.

That should be motivation for them to work harder.

If one of them transfers because they don't think they'll ever get to start over one of the other two, that's a cop-out. Plain and simple.

I understand that they're college kids and maybe that work ethic hasn't set into them just yet, but it eventually has to.

The whole premise of this thread is just dumb. As a coach, I hate when people without first-hand knowledge substitute their uninformed opinion for the choices the coaches make. Look, the coaches are there at practice with these guys every day. They are in meetings with these guys every day. Second guessing a coach's decision on playing time is just mental masturbation.

Why not just title the thread "My son should be the starting quarterback"? I get emails from parents questioning my coaching decisions all the time... "Why isn't my son playing more? He was on a select team in junior high!" It might be that I see your son in practice every day, and he just hasn't impressed me with his skills enough to take playing time away from other guys who are performing better.

As for Jammal "definitely scoring" on the play --- not so fast my friend. The Spartans might have reacted differently if Jammal had lined up wide and gone in motion. He might have been tackled for a loss, because the Spartan defense would be expecting Jammal to get the reverse. Marlowe in motion didn't raise a danger flag in the defense's mind, and that might have been the key factor in the play working.

• Fire 1
HiSD--Is it possible that the coaches feel like the young man has some things to learn? Maybe this is a long-term lesson that's being taught here.
Hard to tell. If he is screwing off or not playing hard, then, yes, it's a lesson. However, I get the sense that he simply lost the practice battle and didn't get to play. I could be wrong, but if I am right, then it's ridiculous that he could not come in for a single play. If we have seen one flaw with this coaching staff it's that they want to play the top 22 and nobody else.

I think it had to do with his public statements about his QB!

when did this happen?

The whole premise of this thread is just dumb. As a coach, I hate when people without first-hand knowledge substitute their uninformed opinion for the choices the coaches make. Look, the coaches are there at practice with these guys every day. They are in meetings with these guys every day. Second guessing a coach's decision on playing time is just mental masturbation.

Why not just title the thread "My son should be the starting quarterback"? I get emails from parents questioning my coaching decisions all the time... "Why isn't my son playing more? He was on a select team in junior high!" It might be that I see your son in practice every day, and he just hasn't impressed me with his skills enough to take playing time away from other guys who are performing better.

As for Jammal "definitely scoring" on the play --- not so fast my friend. The Spartans might have reacted differently if Jammal had lined up wide and gone in motion. He might have been tackled for a loss, because the Spartan defense would be expecting Jammal to get the reverse. Marlowe in motion didn't raise a danger flag in the defense's mind, and that might have been the key factor in the play working.

Would Jamal have scored if he had done the end-around? Hard to say. I don't believe Turner is that much faster than Marlowe, who is an under-appreciated burner. Jamal looks like a more fluid runner out there, but the DB had the angle on Marlowe and that's why he got caught (same thing happened to BK against the Gophers). Turner may have given the DB some shake-n-bake and scored, but Marlowe did his job getting it down to the 1 yard line. From there the rest of the team should have been able to punch it in. That's on the playcalling and execution, not Marlowe.

Yes. . .but in those parents' defense. . . You're a terrible coach. :)

• Fire 1

Look, bottom line, our young backs should have gotten some additional touches last Saturday, especially when Rex started cramping up. Yeah, it worked out when he went back in and scored that long pass play, but sprinkling in a play or two here and there with Green and Heard is to Rex's long-term benefit. Getting 30+ carries a game is an unhealthy lifestyle. Against a team like Northwestern with their run defense issues, we better get some production out of the young guys. The meat of the schedule is two weeks from now. That's when we need Superman for four quarters.

I'm not advocating even keeping Rex out for an entire series. Just rotate here and there for a play or three, keep fresh legs on the field. This isn't rocket science.

And as to the response about one of the backs transferring based on Cody Green's situation--c'mon, be serious. The running back position is fundamentally different from the quarterback position in that you can contribute heavily regardless of whether or not you're a starter. I just read an article in the OWH about the chemistry between the young guys, who apparently all live together. Could a transfer happen? Sure. But these guys are in their FRESHMAN year. They have all the time in the world to make huge contributions to this program. And last I checked, we're not taking another RB in this class. The future is bright for all of them.

• Fire 1

Look, bottom line, our young backs should have gotten some additional touches last Saturday, especially when Rex started cramping up. Yeah, it worked out when he went back in and scored that long pass play, but sprinkling in a play or two here and there with Green and Heard is to Rex's long-term benefit. Getting 30+ carries a game is an unhealthy lifestyle. Against a team like Northwestern with their run defense issues, we better get some production out of the young guys. The meat of the schedule is two weeks from now. That's when we need Superman for four quarters.

I'm not advocating even keeping Rex out for an entire series. Just rotate here and there for a play or three, keep fresh legs on the field. This isn't rocket science.

And as to the response about one of the backs transferring based on Cody Green's situation--c'mon, be serious. The running back position is fundamentally different from the quarterback position in that you can contribute heavily regardless of whether or not you're a starter. I just read an article in the OWH about the chemistry between the young guys, who apparently all live together. Could a transfer happen? Sure. But these guys are in their FRESHMAN year. They have all the time in the world to make huge contributions to this program. And last I checked, we're not taking another RB in this class. The future is bright for all of them.

once again, husker_x nails it.

i would say the problem is that the young backs are more finesse, at least right now, and burkhead is a workhorse (with a little finesse). he gets an extra yard or two each play, and even with our dominating play against msu, we could not take a win for granted. i still agree with you, just a little advocacy for the devil.

HiSD--Is it possible that the coaches feel like the young man has some things to learn? Maybe this is a long-term lesson that's being taught here.

Hard to tell. If he is screwing off or not playing hard, then, yes, it's a lesson. However, I get the sense that he simply lost the practice battle and didn't get to play. I could be wrong, but if I am right, then it's ridiculous that he could not come in for a single play. If we have seen one flaw with this coaching staff it's that they want to play the top 22 and nobody else.

Uhmm that's not a flaw, it's the direct result of not putting teams away early. And, it is also not accurate to claim they want to play the top 22 and nobody else. They rotate many on the D side and some on the O side. Having your best players on the field is not a flaw, it is smart. Not doing it would be a flaw.

Exactly. A guy would think that would be perfectly obvious. But for some NU fans....

GBR!!

Coach Fisher and Coach Beck laid out in very black and white terms why Jamal isn't seeing the field much. What's with the extra speculation?

BECAUSE.....ever heard of coach speak? There's been enough coach speak posted on these boards to get some valid assumptions that the coaches hide the truth on many occasions.

Why worry about it?

Either you have "I'm good friends with Bo Pelini's aquarium guy, and he says...", you have "I have absolutely no idea what's true but I bet it's really..." or you have the people who trust what the coaches say. Until the coaches hold a press conference and say "Psyche! We lied to you guys and you totally bought it! Alright, here's what's really going on" (which isn't happening obviously), we have two options: try to stick our collective head up the bull's ass to see if that's really a t-bone, or just take the butcher's word for it.

That is totally incorrect thinking when it comes to Turner. He does nothing but work hard. He's been compared to Rex as far as work ethic and personality.

It may very well be. I don't know the guy, so I can't say much about his work ethic. Maybe he's just having a difficult time digesting everything that he has to remember.

I honestly agree with ya Hercules on your response to my statement. We are in the dark on these changes.

Being very blunt. If JT doesn't fumble and doesn't drop the ball like he did in the prior games he'd still be in there. Its the same reason he was set to be the co #1 punt return guy week one. Then the day before the game and the practice warm ups he dropped too many.

It appears that dropping easy TD passes doesn't impress Fisher like it did Gilmore.

Another thing to think about, is that any one of, or more than one of the freshman running backs can still be red-shirted right? Not to say that this will happen, as I'm sure that they all want to play, but if one of them wants to red-shirt a year down the road, why not?

Another thing to think about, is that any one of, or more than one of the freshman running backs can still be red-shirted right? Not to say that this will happen, as I'm sure that they all want to play, but if one of them wants to red-shirt a year down the road, why not?

Nope.

My mistake, I didn't realize you could only red-shirt your freshman year.