Jamal Turner not playing against MSU is just dumb....

turner is in the unenviable position of having a competent backup on the field along with a stout wr corps. even if he is the best, which he clearly is extremely talented, he is less valuable on the field right now than he might think.

Likely due to the (unsubstantiated) rumored situation with Brion, who's have some trouble with the playbook.

I hope to be able to refrain from calling coaching decisions stupid, and would prefer that we use words such as unusual or questionable since they know alot more than we do.

We have mismanaged how we use the tFR (fab-3, Turner and Bell). We should have RS'd Turner & Green/Heard. You can see the frustration setting in with AGreen....... And next year with Rex back, IDK.... how they're going to get any more PT

Agree, Green is getting frustrated. He's learning that the old run-end-around-the-tackle-for-a-touchdown may work in high school, but not college. I don't see Green transferring, however. Unfortunately, I could see Heard transferring since he's down the depth chart. It's unfortunate since all three backs are great.

At some point don't they need to realize they are Freshman? They are getting some PT, but they are behind a back that is MUCH better than they are right now. You want to play a lot on Saturdays, beat the guy ahead of you. Don't transfer because you can't beat him out. I think these guys can be good, but have to realize that we are in the middle of a TOUGH B1G schedule, and I want Rex getting the ball A LOT more than a freshman RB who's never experienced D1 college football. Rex played his first 2 years because he was good enough too. He didn't transfer because Helu was in front of him. And now look where he's at.

I'll tell you this, if they transfer because they don't get handed playing time....see ya. Work your butt off and prove you are worth playing.

We have mismanaged how we use the tFR (fab-3, Turner and Bell). We should have RS'd Turner & Green/Heard. You can see the frustration setting in with AGreen....... And next year with Rex back, IDK.... how they're going to get any more PT

My brother and I have a running bet that at least one if not two of the fab-3 RB's transfer. Personally, I think AGreen is as good as gone.

And this is based upon.........?

It is based upon small little tid bits of info. I pick up from time to time. I remember hearing over and over how Cody was a team player and would never think of transferring, but last I checked he's no longer on the roster. They should have shirted at least one if not two of the fab-3. If they all stay for next season, Rex better be willing to sit quite a few plays out or we'll most likely lose two of the fab-3 the following year.

they are freshmen, i think they realize it will take time to get their reps up. i mean, they are on the field already, so that must be promising for them.

as far as the bold part, they are not mutually exclusive. you can be a team player and transfer. and the mere fact that people brought up the fact of him transferring means something. i was a big proponent of green, but he probably transferred because he no longer fit in here, not because he did not get a fair shake.

Coach Fisher and Coach Beck laid out in very black and white terms why Jamal isn't seeing the field much. What's with the extra speculation?

yeah i thought that had something to do with it, about how in practice he did not remember all his assignments, and wasn't consistently lining up properly.

amirite?

Straight from the horse's mouth:

"Tim Marlowe is practicing like a veteran and doing all the things he needs to do to earn playing time. I'm going to play the guys that know how to get lined up and are doing the things in practice to get themselves on the field."

Fisher said Turner is "still a big part of this offense" and will continue to play. But he'd also like to see more consistency from him on the practice field.

"You have to understand that maybe something you did a couple of weeks ago that you're not getting a lot of reps on, you're expected to know," Fisher said, "and be able to run specific routes and know how to get lined up and make plays when your number's called."

Quoting this exchange between Hercules and All-purpose, and Hammer's post, because they answer the question in the OP. I don't want this to get lost in the overall conversation of how the coaches are handling playing time for various players. This is the public explanation for why Turner didn't see the field this week. It'll get fixed and he'll be out there again, most likely this week.

My brother and I have a running bet that at least one if not two of the fab-3 RB's transfer. Personally, I think AGreen is as good as gone.

It is based upon small little tid bits of info. I pick up from time to time. I remember hearing over and over how Cody was a team player and would never think of transferring, but last I checked he's no longer on the roster. They should have shirted at least one if not two of the fab-3. If they all stay for next season, Rex better be willing to sit quite a few plays out or we'll most likely lose two of the fab-3 the following year.

You're info is probably a little out dated. He (Green) was very frustrated earlier in the year and it was pretty well know. However the past two games he come around after he got in the game earlier and played a bigger roll against Minn. I saw him for a minute Saturday and he appeared to be in very good spirits which wasn't the case after a few games earlier in the year.

The log jam at RB will clear up after this season. There is a very strong possibility that Ameer could try defense as they practiced him during the by week when we were searching for additional players at both DB spots.

Coach Fisher and Coach Beck laid out in very black and white terms why Jamal isn't seeing the field much. What's with the extra speculation?

yeah i thought that had something to do with it, about how in practice he did not remember all his assignments, and wasn't consistently lining up properly.

amirite?

"Tim Marlowe is practicing like a veteran and doing all the things he needs to do to earn playing time. I'm going to play the guys that know how to get lined up and are doing the things in practice to get themselves on the field."

Fisher said Turner is "still a big part of this offense" and will continue to play. But he'd also like to see more consistency from him on the practice field.

"You have to understand that maybe something you did a couple of weeks ago that you're not getting a lot of reps on, you're expected to know," Fisher said, "and be able to run specific routes and know how to get lined up and make plays when your number's called."

Quoting this exchange between Hercules and All-purpose, and Hammer's post, because they answer the question in the OP. I don't want this to get lost in the overall conversation of how the coaches are handling playing time for various players. This is the public explanation for why Turner didn't see the field this week. It'll get fixed and he'll be out there again, most likely this week.

I give Jamal a little credit for the fact that WR's something totally new to him, but from the sound of things he could be working a lot harder to get everything down. I hope he's not one of those guys who thinks he's good enough that he doesn't have to know how to run routes correctly, but he seems like more of a "confident but not cocky" kind of guy to me.

BECAUSE.....ever heard of coach speak? There's been enough coach speak posted on these boards to get some valid assumptions that the coaches hide the truth on many occasions.

Its going to be great to get Jamal on the field, but I think HiSD is jumping to conclusions. I completely trust the coaches' judgement here. You have 2 veterans that know the system and know what they're doing in in Marlowe and Kinnie, and you want that experience and leadership on the field. You also have an explosive guy, a beast in his own right, in Enunwa - who is one of the best blocking wide recievers I have ever seen. Add in the explosive speed of Kenny Bell (who also has more experience than Turner) and its actually really really easy to see why he hasn't seen the field. If he isn't practicing well and we have more experienced playmakers to use, its really a no-brainer.

Agree, Green is getting frustrated. He's learning that the old run-end-around-the-tackle-for-a-touchdown may work in high school, but not college. I don't see Green transferring, however. Unfortunately, I could see Heard transferring since he's down the depth chart. It's unfortunate since all three backs are great.

At some point don't they need to realize they are Freshman? They are getting some PT, but they are behind a back that is MUCH better than they are right now. You want to play a lot on Saturdays, beat the guy ahead of you. Don't transfer because you can't beat him out. I think these guys can be good, but have to realize that we are in the middle of a TOUGH B1G schedule, and I want Rex getting the ball A LOT more than a freshman RB who's never experienced D1 college football. Rex played his first 2 years because he was good enough too. He didn't transfer because Helu was in front of him. And now look where he's at.

I'll tell you this, if they transfer because they don't get handed playing time....see ya. Work your butt off and prove you are worth playing.

While I definitely agree with this, one has to also look at it from their point of view. We recruited three RB's. Someone whether it be the players themselves or the coaches decided not to redshirt any of them. Basically, they all three are losing a year of eligibility when two of them rarely see the field. My dad used to call this too many roosters in the hen house. Heard is averaging around three carries per game. In three games, he didn't even get a chance to carry the rock. Aaron Green is averaging just over 2.5 carries a game and did not get a chance to carry the rock in two games. I think all three of these RB's are better than David Horne, but Horne even though he was redshirting until they burnt it after the first five games saw significantly more playing time than these guys.

amirite?

I give Jamal a little credit for the fact that WR's something totally new to him, but from the sound of things he could be working a lot harder to get everything down. I hope he's not one of those guys who thinks he's good enough that he doesn't have to know how to run routes correctly, but he seems like more of a "confident but not cocky" kind of guy to me.

That is totally incorrect thinking when it comes to Turner. He does nothing but work hard. He's been compared to Rex as far as work ethic and personality.

You're info is probably a little out dated. He (Green) was very frustrated earlier in the year and it was pretty well know. However the past two games he come around after he got in the game earlier and played a bigger roll against Minn. I saw him for a minute Saturday and he appeared to be in very good spirits which wasn't the case after a few games earlier in the year.

The log jam at RB will clear up after this season. There is a very strong possibility that Ameer could try defense as they practiced him during the by week when we were searching for additional players at both DB spots.

Sucks for Ameer if that is true. I remember the article about him and he came to Nebraska because they told him he would be able to play RB. All of the other teams scouting him wanted him on defense.

Sucks for Ameer if that is true. I remember the article about him and he came to Nebraska because they told him he would be able to play RB. All of the other teams scouting him wanted him on defense.

He made the offer as long as he got to continue with his returns. If we get Jackson here in January along with SJB development this could change.

He needs to show respect to his team and coaches by waiting his turn. He needs to develop anyways...he's NOT a better I-back than Rex from what I have seen so far....