Jamal Turner not playing against MSU is just dumb....

Another thing to think about, is that any one of, or more than one of the freshman running backs can still be red-shirted right? Not to say that this will happen, as I'm sure that they all want to play, but if one of them wants to red-shirt a year down the road, why not?

Nope.

My mistake, I didn't realize you could only red-shirt your freshman year.

Oh, I thought you meant this season, in which case that ship has sailed. One of them could in the future but I'd say that's unlikely barring a medical redshirt for one reason or another. The way this season has played out I don't see why one of them didn't. Based on 20/20 hindsight Braylon might have been the best RS candidate.

Another thing to think about, is that any one of, or more than one of the freshman running backs can still be red-shirted right? Not to say that this will happen, as I'm sure that they all want to play, but if one of them wants to red-shirt a year down the road, why not?

Nope.

My mistake, I didn't realize you could only red-shirt your freshman year.

Oh, I thought you meant this season, in which case that ship has sailed. One of them could in the future but I'd say that's unlikely barring a medical redshirt for one reason or another. The way this season has played out I don't see why one of them didn't. Based on 20/20 hindsight Braylon might have been the best RS candidate.

Ah my fault, many times what I am thinking doesn't translate to my finger tips. But yes, I meant another year rather than later this year. And I would agree, it is unlikely, but if it was me, maybe I would consider it. That would put me as the "only" Senior running back that year. Of course, I wasn't a highly touted runningback now playing for a top 10 D1 school. :moreinteresting

I think where people are going with this is that the fab 3 should be used how Oregon uses their rbs. Putting a few at slot, on screens, more diamond, forget their youth and put them in space and let their instincts and ability take over. This is the perfect week to let them break out and allow them to grow up.

Coach Fisher and Coach Beck laid out in very black and white terms why Jamal isn't seeing the field much. What's with the extra speculation?

BECAUSE.....ever heard of coach speak? There's been enough coach speak posted on these boards to get some valid assumptions that the coaches hide the truth on many occasions.

I would say that this is "coach speak". This is for real.

"Tim Marlowe is practicing like a veteran and doing all the things he needs to do to earn playing time. I'm going to play the guys that know how to get lined up and are doing the things in practice to get themselves on the field."

Fisher said Turner is "still a big part of this offense" and will continue to play. But he'd also like to see more consistency from him on the practice field.

"You have to understand that maybe something you did a couple of weeks ago that you're not getting a lot of reps on, you're expected to know," Fisher said, "and be able to run specific routes and know how to get lined up and make plays when your number's called."

In 2009 Mark Ingram won the Heisman. He carried the rock 271 times. In 2009, Trent Richardson carried the rock 145 times. This is how teams spread the wealth so to speak with their young up and coming stars. Did Rex really need to carry the rock 30+ times last Saturday? If he did, what will change next year for the fab-3? Burkhead carried the rock 81 times as a freshman. This was 81 carries on an offense that was natorious for three and outs. At the current pace, there isn't anyone in the fab-3 that will even have half the carries Burkhead did as a freshman.

i would take freshman rex over any of the 3 freshman rbs we got right now, he was physically more ready to play and take the hits his freshman year than i then they are at this point

We have mismanaged how we use the tFR (fab-3, Turner and Bell). We should have RS'd Turner & Green/Heard. You can see the frustration setting in with AGreen....... And next year with Rex back, IDK.... how they're going to get any more PT

Agree, Green is getting frustrated. He's learning that the old run-end-around-the-tackle-for-a-touchdown may work in high school, but not college. I don't see Green transferring, however. Unfortunately, I could see Heard transferring since he's down the depth chart. It's unfortunate since all three backs are great.

At some point don't they need to realize they are Freshman? They are getting some PT, but they are behind a back that is MUCH better than they are right now. You want to play a lot on Saturdays, beat the guy ahead of you. Don't transfer because you can't beat him out. I think these guys can be good, but have to realize that we are in the middle of a TOUGH B1G schedule, and I want Rex getting the ball A LOT more than a freshman RB who's never experienced D1 college football. Rex played his first 2 years because he was good enough too. He didn't transfer because Helu was in front of him. And now look where he's at.

I'll tell you this, if they transfer because they don't get handed playing time....see ya. Work your butt off and prove you are worth playing.

While I definitely agree with this, one has to also look at it from their point of view. We recruited three RB's. Someone whether it be the players themselves or the coaches decided not to redshirt any of them. Basically, they all three are losing a year of eligibility when two of them rarely see the field. My dad used to call this too many roosters in the hen house. Heard is averaging around three carries per game. In three games, he didn't even get a chance to carry the rock. Aaron Green is averaging just over 2.5 carries a game and did not get a chance to carry the rock in two games. I think all three of these RB's are better than David Horne, but Horne even though he was redshirting until they burnt it after the first five games saw significantly more playing time than these guys.

I remember when we called that DEPTH. Who did we have on the 95 squad for running backs? Benning, Childs, Phillips, Sims, and Green. That was 5 quality backs...now how many of them transfered?

Look, bottom line, our young backs should have gotten some additional touches last Saturday, especially when Rex started cramping up. Yeah, it worked out when he went back in and scored that long pass play, but sprinkling in a play or two here and there with Green and Heard is to Rex's long-term benefit. Getting 30+ carries a game is an unhealthy lifestyle. Against a team like Northwestern with their run defense issues, we better get some production out of the young guys. The meat of the schedule is two weeks from now. That's when we need Superman for four quarters.

I'm not advocating even keeping Rex out for an entire series. Just rotate here and there for a play or three, keep fresh legs on the field. This isn't rocket science.

And as to the response about one of the backs transferring based on Cody Green's situation--c'mon, be serious. The running back position is fundamentally different from the quarterback position in that you can contribute heavily regardless of whether or not you're a starter. I just read an article in the OWH about the chemistry between the young guys, who apparently all live together. Could a transfer happen? Sure. But these guys are in their FRESHMAN year. They have all the time in the world to make huge contributions to this program. And last I checked, we're not taking another RB in this class. The future is bright for all of them.

/thread thanks for coming

Coach Fisher and Coach Beck laid out in very black and white terms why Jamal isn't seeing the field much. What's with the extra speculation?

BECAUSE.....ever heard of coach speak? There's been enough coach speak posted on these boards to get some valid assumptions that the coaches hide the truth on many occasions.

"Tim Marlowe is practicing like a veteran and doing all the things he needs to do to earn playing time. I'm going to play the guys that know how to get lined up and are doing the things in practice to get themselves on the field."

Fisher said Turner is "still a big part of this offense" and will continue to play. But he'd also like to see more consistency from him on the practice field.

"You have to understand that maybe something you did a couple of weeks ago that you're not getting a lot of reps on, you're expected to know," Fisher said, "and be able to run specific routes and know how to get lined up and make plays when your number's called."

I know...Hercules and Thor...I wanna believe the coaches...but this is still coach speak to me lol. I hope they are telling the truth. My own definition of coach speak is as literal as it gets...the coach speaks and with that he gives you clues and honest truth about certain issues and also lies in the process. As negative as that sounds...that is what the coaching staff has shown me in prior interviews. I don't condone it nor do I really get aggravated by it....it's not a HUGE deal to me. The whole, "JT talked negatively about Taylor in the press situation," still has me wondering a bit....

I know...Hercules and Thor...I wanna believe the coaches...but this is still coach speak to me lol. I hope they are telling the truth. My own definition of coach speak is as literal as it gets...the coach speaks and with that he gives you clues and honest truth about certain issues and also lies in the process. As negative as that sounds...that is what the coaching staff has shown me in prior interviews. I don't condone it nor do I really get aggravated by it....it's not a HUGE deal to me. The whole, "JT talked negatively about Taylor in the press situation," still has me wondering a bit....

You're not accusing the coaches of coachspeak, you're accusing them of flat-out lying, and then you're making a leap that the coaches would bench him because of public comments that were barely even critical of Martinez, without any evidence.

You're not accusing the coaches of coachspeak, you're accusing them of flat-out lying, and then you're making a leap that the coaches would bench him because of public comments that were barely even critical of Martinez, without any evidence.

Once again...read my post. I stated my definition.