Does it bother anyone else when Rex returns punts?

I don't think the coaches are putting Rex in there to get more touches but to more simple use him as a 'fair catch' guy. With AA having some inconsistency, it's better to get the ball and turn it over to our offense. Now.....if we are sitting at a very decent lead - meaning BC getting some reps - then they will give Abdullah chances to redeem himself. I personally wouldn't mind Rex back there no matter what the situation was.

It really doesn't matter who returns the punts because our coverage is awful.

That made no sense? This thread is about when we are fielding the catch.

Which isn't very often. You know i'm right though. Name one good thing about our punt coverage. We don't go for the block and we hardly ever get a chance for our returner to make a big play.

I agree that the thread isn't about our coverage team, I was just joking. Lighten up guy.

Which isn't very often. You know i'm right though. Name one good thing about our punt coverage. We don't go for the block and we hardly ever get a chance for our returner to make a big play.

I agree that the thread isn't about our coverage team, I was just joking. Lighten up guy.

i think i get it now, anyone back there will have to call fair catch...?

Actually you're wrong and your original comment didn't make sense. Punt coverage is the unit on the field when WE are punting. Punt return is the unit on the field when we are receiving the punt.

I was wondering about that too..(Why have Rexy back for punts).

I don't usually think of returning punts as being that much more dangerous than any other play..especially to someone that looks/runs more like a fullback than anything else.

But Rex does have deceptive speed..maybe just not the elusive like moves.

Why did I click on that awful Humpty Dance thing?

For some reason the OP reminds me of when we almost lost Jarvis Redwine (and it may have cost him some heisman votes) for the rest of the season when a Mizzery player tried to take out his knee while he was a blocking back for an extra point.

Never liked Warren Powers after that

If Abdullah can't hang onto it, why not give Turner a chance? It's not like we're using him for anything else right now....I think it's all in Ameer's head now, so hopefully he gets it turned around soon. The field position he has given us (especially against tOSU) has been a key factor in our success.

I'd say rest Rex at all costs, because all it takes (like the vid above) is one bonehead play, or dirty targeted play, and his game/season is done. If a coach in need of a big win against us saw Rex back there...he might just get a caveman like Eric Martin to run though the signal and get flagged/ejected. I could see Bielema calling a "hitman" in....

Abdullah said in a tweet that he's not going to play like he did Saturday again. Of course, the point is that he now has to prove.

Burkhead seems to be the go to fair catch man when we might be pinned at or behind our 30 yard line. I have no problem with him being in there to do fair catches, but I hope they're not putting him in there to actually return the punt. He does enough for this team.