We'll Know We're Officially Back When . . .

We'll know we are officially back when we regularly start blowing the Northwesterns of the world out. I don't like how Boise State plays a wimpy schedule, but, I"ll say this for them, they always destroy teams that they are supposed to beat. Once we start doing likewise then we'll be back (that, and if we start beating top 5 teams!).

How will you define blowout............?

Point differential ?

10 or less points allowed ?

I expect Northwestern to score a bit on us tomorrow, but not to be able to stop us virtually at all. So, if we were to prevail say.............51 -24.........would THAT be a blowout ?

If they move it on us consistently with a mobile QB and make the freshly laundered blackshirts look less than dominant....................is there any amount of points that we can score that would fit the definition of a blowout ?

Just interested in your opinion...............

We'll Know We're Officially Back When....

...you don't have to ask these kinds of questions anymore.

Well, as most of us Husker fans might want to feel this way Badgerfan, it has been very painful to have gone through the CallaCLOWN period who set our program back 5 years...if not more. I really don't think we are officially back when we are playing in BCS bowl games - and win - on a yearly basis. Just my humble opinion.

We'll Know We're Officially Back When....

...you don't have to ask these kinds of questions anymore.

I agree, but you have to understand how far we dropped as a program when Callahan was at the helm. As a fanbase, we are so excited to see our team get back to where we once were.

I think we're officially back when we...

1) WIN a conference championship

2) COMPETE in a BCS bowl game

Some other minor things would be us rolling over teams we should (Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, etc), rarely ever being blown out (08 Mizzou, OU - 09 Tech - 11 WISC), and it would also be a good sign if we consistantly had a player in the Heisman trophy discussion. The great teams always do.

• Fire 1

We'll know we are officially back when we regularly start blowing the Northwesterns of the world out. I don't like how Boise State plays a wimpy schedule, but, I"ll say this for them, they always destroy teams that they are supposed to beat. Once we start doing likewise then we'll be back (that, and if we start beating top 5 teams!).

So, if we were to prevail say.............51 -24.........would THAT be a blowout ?

If they move it on us consistently with a mobile QB and make the freshly laundered blackshirts look less than dominant....................is there any amount of points that we can score that would fit the definition of a blowout ?

Just interested in your opinion...............

A blowout occurs when the backups are in . . . early in the 4th. Score wise, it would have to be by at least 24.

Air Force...Nevada? I get what you mean, but they don't constantly destroy teams they should.

As for the matter discussed in the OP, I will say we are "officially" [and if by that term you mean back into the national championship picture well into November] back when we can put together a season which ended in a BCS bowl victory and make another BCS bowl the following year. Consistency is the key to claiming teams are elite.

We knew in 1983 (Miami never beats us on a neutral field).

We knew in 1993 (The refs took such good care of Charlie Ward).

We knew in 1994 (Rubbed Miami's nose in their own dirt).

We knew in 1995 (The Ole Ball Coach got out coached by TO and an out dated offence).

We knew in 1997 (The Miracle Catch and an over matched Tennessee with Payton Manning).

You will know when you know.

T_O_B

G>B>R

We start beating teams before we even play them. In the heyday that was the Huskers of the past, we so soundly beat teams on a regular basis (conference foes) that the next year they still remembered the beatings and pain that went with their loss. Their will to win was replaced with the will to simply get out of the game in one piece. Now every team we play thinks they can beat us. Even ISU played us tough. A loss to A&M?! The only time we should be challenged is in our MNC bid or BCS bowl.

Currently, we do not appear to have the place foot on neck mentality that would also denote we are back.

We are close to beating teams we should, but IMHO, as HIS stated, we should be in a place that our backups get a significant amount of playing time. In the 80's and 90's our depth was so good because so many of the second team got to play against the best the other teams had offer. We are improving, and getting closer, but not there. A complete game form start to finish would be a good start.