Another thread about crowd noise and fans at the game

Landlord

This is my first post so I want to wade into the deep water very slowly. I don't attend many home games but was able to be there yesterday. My seat was in the north end zone. Of the three games I've seen in the last 10 years this one had the least amount of noise level (the other 2 were both Texas games so maybe that was understandable). That being said I thought most of the people around me were making noise while Northwestern had the ball. My observation was that maybe the team wasn't the only ones emotionally spent from the last 2 home games. I think OSU and MSU took a lot out of this team and this crowd.

Players are taught, though not always successfully, to try to overcome negative emotions on the field and not let the previous play affect affect the next play. Probably fewer than 20% of fans have ever played in a real football game. They see the game like a movie, where you can let your emotions run the gamut from elation to extreme frustration. When a few bad things happen, fans too often let the fear of being let down again affect their decibel level.

What was with the crowd counting along with the play clock?

The blue hairs people complain about probably yelled themselves out in the '60s and have been attending games since.

They were counting along to alert Martinez how much time he had left to get the snap off.....that was my take. I was watching it on stream and could barely notice the crowd at all until the 3rd/4th quarter

That's because there were too many blue-hairs. Keep the blue-hairs out and let younger people have their seats.

Here we go again........ What the hell are you youngins going to do when you reach "that age"? Since I am 55 and apparently now a blue hair, does that mean I am not worthy of being a Husker fan? I get to go to one game a year with my 80 year old Mom, and for the record, we BOTH stand and yell for the whole game! We love our team as much if not more than you all do! Have a great day......and Go Big Red!

and...go

That's because there were too many blue-hairs. Keep the blue-hairs out and let younger people have their seats.

Here we go again........ What the hell are you youngins going to do when you reach "that age"? Since I am 55 and apparently now a blue hair, does that mean I am not worthy of being a Husker fan? I get to go to one game a year with my 80 year old Mom, and for the record, we BOTH stand and yell for the whole game! We love our team as much if not more than you all do! Have a great day......and Go Big Red!

and...go

Hold on there ohiohusker....I'm merely interjecting random stupid comments that make absolutely no sense to get peoples panties in a wad. Personally, I have no problem with blue-hairs, students, whomever, showing up at the game. Just seems the blue-hair vs students argument gets brought up every year. Thought I would just toss that nugget out there to get that ball rolling ;)

I thought the whole atmosphere in Memorial yesterday was flat. You could just feel it...less than usual enthusiasm for the tunnel walk and preceding video, the Husker power chant was a little muted, ect. I kind of got the feeling that everyone was hoping it would be 28-0 at halftime, so that they could afford to to miss the first half of the third quarter in exchange for a couple of extra drinks at halftime.

None of this has anything to do with why we lost. But yeah, that was awfully quiet for 85k+. They may have been louder, had we not given up 470 yards. To Northwestern. With Persa on the sideline. Mere speculation on my part.

You could definitely tell watching the game on TV that the team came out flat and so did the crowd. Sometimes our crowd can get the team fired up, but I guess the fans just had no interest in doing that.

Yeah...we didn't lose because the fans failed to fire up the team. If the team needs that to get amped up, then I guess we can just pencil in 6 or so losses every year for every away game.

How pathetic of a fan showing did we have today? At least there weren't any boos (that I could hear on tv) but my goodness, you couldn't hear anybody making any noise whatsoever besides the students on the television set; someone that was there, is that how it sounded live? I saw Bo even pleading to the crowd to make some noise - in the 4th quarter Northwestern had a 3rd or 4th down and they cut to a shot of a few older gentlemen sitting down looking around, seemingly oblivious to anything game-related.

GET OFF YOUR DADGUM REAR END AND MAKE SOME NOISE! And everyone that left with over 2 minutes left down 10? That's pathetic.

[/rant]

That is a big crock. Hell I could hear the crowd counting down the play clock watching the game on TV. To blame the fans for poor coaching is to buy into the argument that its the fans fault for that piss poor coaching. And who blames the fans? Pelini. Pelini because he doesn't know what he is doing 1/2 the time yet. Pelini...because he is still a young, inexperienced hothead that is a poor loser and lashes out at everyone and every thing when it hurts. Now...I have to say that "losing" when he knows he shouldn't, seems to have brought him down a notch or 2 when it comes to dealing with the press conferences after the game. He seems to have settled down a little. The more calls he get's for his head on a platter...the more humble he will become, I believe.

Oh...and by the way...just because you are a polite cusser ("dad gum") doesn't mean that you aren't a prick. And just because a few fans leave early doesn't make them pathetic. It just means they have better or other things to do. Hell...I dont sit around in a theater and watch a movie that I don't like. They paid for their tickets, they can leave anytime they want.

You whiney little fans that cry like this after a loss need to get some balance in your pathetic little lives. And for those of you that want the "blue hairs" to leave so that you can get their tickets, remember...if it wasn't for those blue hairs...you wouldn't have a team to whine about. Snot nosed little punks. lol

Sometimes I think that the best thing that could happen to Nebraska would be for it's football team to go back to the pre-Devaney era of indifference...THEN...we would see who the REAL fans are. Future blue hairs no doubt.....

• Fire 4

How pathetic of a fan showing did we have today? At least there weren't any boos (that I could hear on tv) but my goodness, you couldn't hear anybody making any noise whatsoever besides the students on the television set; someone that was there, is that how it sounded live? I saw Bo even pleading to the crowd to make some noise - in the 4th quarter Northwestern had a 3rd or 4th down and they cut to a shot of a few older gentlemen sitting down looking around, seemingly oblivious to anything game-related.

GET OFF YOUR DADGUM REAR END AND MAKE SOME NOISE! And everyone that left with over 2 minutes left down 10? That's pathetic.

[/rant]

That is a big crock. Hell I could hear the crowd counting down the play clock watching the game on TV. To blame the fans for poor coaching is to buy into the argument that its the fans fault for that piss poor coaching. And who blames the fans? Pelini. Pelini because he doesn't know what he is doing 1/2 the time yet. Pelini...because he is still a young, inexperienced hothead that is a poor loser and lashes out at everyone and every thing when it hurts. Now...I have to say that "losing" when he knows he shouldn't, seems to have brought him down a notch or 2 when it comes to dealing with the press conferences after the game. He seems to have settled down a little. The more calls he get's for his head on a platter...the more humble he will become, I believe.

Oh...and by the way...just because you are a polite cusser ("dad gum") doesn't mean that you aren't a prick. And just because a few fans leave early doesn't make them pathetic. It just means they have better or other things to do. Hell...I dont sit around in a theater and watch a movie that I don't like. They paid for their tickets, they can leave anytime they want.

You whiney little fans that cry like this after a loss need to get some balance in your pathetic little lives. And for those of you that want the "blue hairs" to leave so that you can get their tickets, remember...if it wasn't for those blue hairs...you wouldn't have a team to whine about. Snot nosed little punks. lol

Sometimes I think that the best thing that could happen to Nebraska would be for it's football team to go back to the pre-Devaney era of indifference...THEN...we would see who the REAL fans are. Future blue hairs no doubt.....

This post is awesome.

Fans were flat for most of the game and so was the team!

Big game last week for fans and the team, I understand the players being a bit out of focus but the fans have no excuse.

As many thought Burkhead should have been taken out against MichSt with 7 minutes left to rest for this week. He was not of course, even after he tweaked his ankle. Running the ball 35 times is a bit much and expecting him to be the same the next week is just not going to happen.

We need to FOCUS on PState and move on from this game

You know, at some point you need to do something on the field to give the fans something to yell about. And if Bo is worried about the crowd making noise....I think he's got way more important things to worry about than the crowd noise. I would think you would be much more irate about what went on on the field and on the sideline than the crowd.

I thought the crowd did their part and then some. The play was poor through most of the game. i thought we and I was there did our part and then some.