Fans thoughts on Joe Paterno coaching on Saturday...

TheMatador

Matador, I removed the link. The question stands on its own. Do Husker fans want JoePa to coach?

Personally, no. He should never coach again.

Based on what has appeared in the open media, Joe Paterno is guilty of a crime...a serious crime. This offers a good opportunity for the university (and the rest of us) to show that there is some things more important than his "legacy" or a football game - or a football season for that matter. Most of the reporting on this dwells on how this will affect the Penn State football team - not a lot about the victims. So, I agree. He needs to stay at home Saturday and for the rest of the season.

I agree he should go, but what crime is he guilty of?

Not reporting a felony to the police.

I'm in the camp of wait and see the facts before I make any judgements, but if it goes down in the direction the news seems to be heading, then make an example out of him to show that the University does not tolerate this behavior.

From what I've gathered an assistant coach approached Paterno many years ago. He reported witnessing the accused in a shower with a young boy. Joe went to his superiors to address the situation, left it in their hands, and moved on.

Given this, I don't know what to think. Obviously the act itself is despicable. Did Paterno do enough - my heart says absolutely not. He should have confronted the assistant coach. Probably should have socked him too.

But where does legality fit into this? I don't know enough to begin to comment.

But should Paterno followed up on this? Yes. Yes and Yes. And if all the allegations were true, he should have spearheaded the immediate termination and then criminal prosecution of that assistant coach. For his terrible acts. For all the boys he abused. For all of the trust he betrayed in families and friends, both of the children and the university. Joe should have put the foot down and shown that this type of behavior is completely unacceptable and will be punished most severely.

And if Joe let this happen, then he is nearly as guilty as the accused. And I hope he feels the weight of suffering from the victim's on his shoulders, knowing that he could have stopped it.

It doesn't sound like you are in a wait and see mode. You already found him guilty. Even if Joe had done investigating he would've been lied to when asking questions. Plus why should Joe believe some grad assistant over a defense coach that he has known much longer? It's like saying that a friend you had known for a very long time had done something terrible and yet some new guy comes up and tells you he did do something bad and yet you will believe the new guy? I think not. People always get a sense of something more could've been done after the fact.

• Fire 2

I'm in the camp of wait and see the facts before I make any judgements, but if it goes down in the direction the news seems to be heading, then make an example out of him to show that the University does not tolerate this behavior.

From what I've gathered an assistant coach approached Paterno many years ago. He reported witnessing the accused in a shower with a young boy. Joe went to his superiors to address the situation, left it in their hands, and moved on.

Given this, I don't know what to think. Obviously the act itself is despicable. Did Paterno do enough - my heart says absolutely not. He should have confronted the assistant coach. Probably should have socked him too.

But should Paterno followed up on this? Yes. Yes and Yes. And if all the allegations were true, he should have spearheaded the immediate termination and then criminal prosecution of that assistant coach. For his terrible acts. For all the boys he abused. For all of the trust he betrayed in families and friends, both of the children and the university. Joe should have put the foot down and shown that this type of behavior is completely unacceptable and will be punished most severely.

And if Joe let this happen, then he is nearly as guilty as the accused. And I hope he feels the weight of suffering from the victim's on his shoulders, knowing that he could have stopped it.

Plus why should Joe believe some grad assistant over a defense coach that he has known much longer? It's like saying that a friend you had known for a very long time had done something terrible and yet some new guy comes up and tells you he did do something bad and yet you will believe the new guy? I think not. People always get a sense of something more could've been done after the fact.

I'm sorry, but this is just plain stupid. What would have been the motive for the grad student to so graphically lie? Would Joe expect Sandusky to tell him the truth? When something this shocking occurs, you have to take extraordinary measures to investigate.

Matador, I removed the link. The question stands on its own. Do Husker fans want JoePa to coach?

Based on what has appeared in the open media, Joe Paterno is guilty of a crime...a serious crime. This offers a good opportunity for the university (and the rest of us) to show that there is some things more important than his "legacy" or a football game - or a football season for that matter. Most of the reporting on this dwells on how this will affect the Penn State football team - not a lot about the victims. So, I agree. He needs to stay at home Saturday and for the rest of the season.

He received second hand information, and did the legal requirement of reporting it to university officials. Legally speaking he did nothing wrong. Morally speaking however, he could have done a lot more and should have.

so this will be his last home game.

The committee that's meeting Friday may yet decide to act otherwise.

Good point BUT i doubt they will act that soon. i feel from past things here if they did do that they would have the biggest riot ever take place. For some reason they like to riot here :dunno

Plus why should Joe believe some grad assistant over a defense coach that he has known much longer? It's like saying that a friend you had known for a very long time had done something terrible and yet some new guy comes up and tells you he did do something bad and yet you will believe the new guy? I think not. People always get a sense of something more could've been done after the fact.

I'm sorry, but this is just plain stupid. What would have been the motive for the grad student to so graphically lie? Would Joe expect Sandusky to tell him the truth? When something this shocking occurs, you have to take extraordinary measures to investigate.

Maybe the grad assistant didn't like Sandusky? People lie all the time. People have been known to say outrageous things so they will be heard.

Legend and everything, I'm not sure if he deserves this graceful exit.

Hopefully our team shows up and makes it as ungraceful as possible on the field, if he does in fact coach this game.

My personal opinion is that PSU should fire him right now, yesterday.

I assume that most people who do not want him held accountable immediately have not yet read the grand jury report.

I will not get into if what he did was illegal or not but what he failed to do was definitely inhuman.

If a grad assistant told you what he had witnessed in the showers and all you did was tell the AD and then not follow up and not do everything in your power (and JoePa has all the power in the world at PSU) to keep that guy away from your program, then I say you are a scumbag and at least partially responsible for all of the harm caused after that point in time. I cannot fathom the reasoning behind sweeping this deal under the rug or claiming you did all you were required to do. Unconscionable.

Maybe the grad assistant didn't like Sandusky? People lie all the time. People have been known to say outrageous things so they will be heard.

The grand jury investigation deemed him the most credible witness. His story, or rather the pattern of Sandusky's behavior, has been corroborated by 8-9-10-? and counting victims, a janitor, and a school principal among others. I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt but that ship has sailed.

Not just a felony.

Not reporting a 10 year old boy being sodomized, in the PENN STATE FOOTBALL SHOWERS, by his Ex-Defensive Coordinator!

Then for years afterwards seeing Sandusky continuing to roam around Penn State Football Facilities with LITTLE BOYS and doing NOTHING!!!!!!!

The grand jury investigation deemed him the most credible witness. His story, or rather the pattern of Sandusky's behavior, has been corroborated by 8-9-10-? and counting victims, a janitor, and a school principal among others. I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt but that ship has sailed.

I'm not trying to say he is innocent. Just that in this day and age people get so emotionally wrapped up that judgment has already been given before the trial. If he is found guilty i am sure the the other inmates will gladly hand out the punishment.

He received second hand information, and did the legal requirement of reporting it to university officials. Legally speaking he did nothing wrong. Morally speaking however, he could have done a lot more and should have.

Legally speaking he is a mandatory reporter. He didn't inform the Department of Public Welfare as he is required, he informed his boss. Failure to Report is a misdemeanor. So no, he didn't do what he was supposed to do, legally.

Morally, he failed as well. This is his worst error, the unforgivable error. He was informed by a witness that a boy was being raped by Sandusky. Morally, he had an obligation to do every single thing in his power to make sure this was not true, and beyond that, he had a moral obligation to assure the players on his team, their families, and future recruits that he was not allowing a predator to have access to the team in any way. We know he failed in that because Sandusky was present, in the team's weight room, as recently as last week, and has had similar access since the day of the report in 2002.