Fans thoughts on Joe Paterno coaching on Saturday...

TheMatador

What, exactly, did JoePa think he was reporting to his superior? That's the key question. Something was said to him, and that something was important enough that he went to his superior with it. What was it?

^This.

I read on the PSU boards that when Joe was told about the incident from the GA that it was not even close to the detail that the Grand Jury statement was. But Joe said that it was obvious that whatever had happend disturbed the GA greatly. So the GA might have only said he saw sexual abuse, which might have been all Joe said to the AD. However, that should be enough to act on what you have been told.

IF JoePa was serious about the PSU motto of "Success with Honor" and he was truly a compassionate man who cares for kids and the players he coaches he would've taken action. He would have taken the GA to the AD and he would've made him tell both of them exactly what the GA witnessed. The police would've been called immediately and the GA would've been supported and encouraged to tell exactly what he had witnessed. If anyone believes that Paterno didn't know the exact details of what happened I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you. And now that same GA has a full-time staff position for PSU! Looks like he's had his success with absolutely NO HONOR! The old coot needs to go yesterday along with all those who did nothing.

What, exactly, did JoePa think he was reporting to his superior? That's the key question. Something was said to him, and that something was important enough that he went to his superior with it. What was it?

^This.

I read on the PSU boards that when Joe was told about the incident from the GA that it was not even close to the detail that the Grand Jury statement was. But Joe said that it was obvious that whatever had happend disturbed the GA greatly. So the GA might have only said he saw sexual abuse, which might have been all Joe said to the AD. However, that should be enough to act on what you have been told.

Think about this for a sec: That same GA (McQuery) coaches WR's....He's actually coaching as we speak.

Now how WEIRD is that. He's looking that those players...... while everyone knows that he's the 1 guy who saw it all and didn't follow up on it for 8-9 years..... and worse still..... was around Sandusky everyday since then :o . Seriously - how is that even possible? How? How do you cross paths with the same guy that you saw in that shower? Do you say hi to him? Look at him? Hug him? WTH?

Just imagine the flack PSU fans will get for the history of there program. People give us slack about Phillips, some PSU fan starts to talk smack and the opposing team just says at least my team doesn't rape little boys. It will be like that for them FOREVER. What a sad sad change in events. No, joe should not be there.

Not quite. Their team didn't do that.

It was an ex-coach.

Big difference.

I don't know, while I get your point I think you are discounting the legendary coach factor. This Guy is akin to Charlie McBride, actually more popular amongst PSU fans than Charlie. He is a part of their lore so in essence he is a part what that team represents.

^This.

Think about this for a sec: That same GA (McQuery) coaches WR's....He's actually coaching as we speak.

Now how WEIRD is that. He's looking that those players...... while everyone knows that he's the 1 guy who saw it all and didn't follow up on it for 8-9 years..... and worse still..... was around Sandusky everyday since then :o . Seriously - how is that even possible? How? How do you cross paths with the same guy that you saw in that shower? Do you say hi to him? Look at him? Hug him? WTH?

exactly. exactly.

Just imagine the flack PSU fans will get for the history of there program. People give us slack about Phillips, some PSU fan starts to talk smack and the opposing team just says at least my team doesn't rape little boys. It will be like that for them FOREVER. What a sad sad change in events. No, joe should not be there.

Not quite. Their team didn't do that.

It was an ex-coach.

Big difference.

I don't know, while I get your point I think you are discounting the legendary coach factor. This Guy is akin to Charlie McBride, actually more popular amongst PSU fans than Charlie. He is a part of their lore so in essence he is a part what that team represents.

Also McQuery is and was a part of the team when he witnessed the shower rape...so no its not the actual players, but it does trace back to the program and they will bear the pain of the connection. How many times have we all hated hearing the phrase "former Nebraska Cornhusker Lawrence Phillips" and screamed at the TV about how he's been gone from NU for 5-10-15 years....yeah the stink is on the whole program and its not going anywhere soon.

I said the exact same thing a while back, buried in some other thread. It is inconceivable that you could have witnessed that, then NOT do/say anything over the next several years when you see this guy around campus, with young boys in tow.

Paterno and McQueary need to resign immediately......or the Penn State board of directors need to fire them before Saturday. Paterno is one of the most powerful individuals at Penn State, and at his discretion. allowed his buddy, Sandusky, who Paterno knew damn well was a ChoMo, to continue allow his ChoMo buddy to remain on the Penn State campus in some type of official capacity FOR YEARS......As far as McQueary goes, and according to his testimony to the grand jury, he witnessed the rape of a ten year old boy in a Penn State locker room....WHAT WAS HIS REACTION ???? He didn't know what to do, so he told his daddy what happened and asked him for advice..... WHAT A LACK OF COURAGE, DECENCY, AND MANHOOD.....I think this question should be asked of the victims and their family members...I know what their answer would be.....

I said the exact same thing a while back, buried in some other thread. It is inconceivable that you could have witnessed that, then NOT do/say anything over the next several years when you see this guy around campus, with young boys in tow.

This is my problem with throwing JoePa under the bus. For all we know, JoePa was only told by a GA that he witnessed something that could be construed as sexual in nature. I don't know that JoePa ever knew any of the elaborate details. If he didn't, I'm not sure he really even broke any moral laws. I say this even though I firmly believe that child molestation is the most heinous crime a person can commit. If JoePa was up on the stand in a trial, there's not a judge in the World that would ever allow his second hand testimony as it would be nothing more than hearsay. The most guilty one here it would seem is the GA that actually witnessed this going on. It would appear to me that he is an accomplice to a crime because he didn't notify the police of a felony. I fully understand the indictment of JoePa's superiors for covering it up, but again they were only relying on second hand information given to them by the GA. Why in the hell is the GA now coach not been arrested?

As far as McQueary goes, and according to his testimony to the grand jury, he witnessed the rape of a ten year old boy in a Penn State locker room....WHAT WAS HIS REACTION ???? He didn't know what to do, so he told his daddy what happened and asked him for advice..... WHAT A LACK OF COURAGE, DECENCY, AND MANHOOD.....I think this question should be asked of the victims and their family members...I know what their answer would be.....

I don't have a problem with McQueary up to the point where he figured out nothing was going to happen with Sandusky. I would much preferred that he go in that shower and beat the hell out of Sandusky and save the kid, but I understand his reaction. It was human to be terrified of what he had witnessed. I see freaking out, reporting it, and hanging out for a while waiting to see what those in authority did.

However, that's where my understanding of his actions ends. From that point he HAS TO do something when he sees Sandusky on campus. HAS TO. That's where he failed, IMO.

This is my problem with throwing JoePa under the bus. For all we know, JoePa was only told by a GA that he witnessed something that could be construed as sexual in nature. I don't know that JoePa ever knew any of the elaborate details. If he didn't, I'm not sure he really even broke any moral laws. I say this even though I firmly believe that child molestation is the most heinous crime a person can commit. If JoePa was up on the stand in a trial, there's not a judge in the World that would ever allow his second hand testimony as it would be nothing more than hearsay. The most guilty one here it would seem is the GA that actually witnessed this going on. It would appear to me that he is an accomplice to a crime because he didn't notify the police of a felony. I fully understand the indictment of JoePa's superiors for covering it up, but again they were only relying on second hand information given to them by the GA. Why in the hell is the GA now coach not been arrested?

you are right, but with a crime as heinous as this it is hard to see anyone near it as anything but guilty. he was either ignorant or in on it, either are unforgivable when you are the head coach with as much power as him. it seems like there was enough information that he should not have just washed his hands of it after reporting it. i mean would not you be interested if you reported that and still saw sandusky around. would not you want to know what happened regarding them taking care of it, the punishment, the extent of the transgression? he just did the minimum and acted as if nothing ever happened.

I agree whole hearted on he GA, I mentioned earlier in this thread that I find his lack of action to save the boy to be h worst part. However on JoePa, regardless of whether he knew intimate details or not, he definitely knew enough that he should have done more. He knew enough to call the AD to set up a private 1 on 1 discussion in person to discuss the issue. They decided in that meeting to ban the scumbag from campus with boys, lots of good that did, so they knew enough to act and they didn't. They acted out of what was best for them and the program by not making this public instead of worrying about that boy or future victims.

As far as McQueary goes, and according to his testimony to the grand jury, he witnessed the rape of a ten year old boy in a Penn State locker room....WHAT WAS HIS REACTION ???? He didn't know what to do, so he told his daddy what happened and asked him for advice..... WHAT A LACK OF COURAGE, DECENCY, AND MANHOOD.....I think this question should be asked of the victims and their family members...I know what their answer would be.....

I don't have a problem with McQueary up to the point where he figured out nothing was going to happen with Sandusky. I would much preferred that he go in that shower and beat the hell out of Sandusky and save the kid, but I understand his reaction. It was human to be terrified of what he had witnessed. I see freaking out, reporting it, and hanging out for a while waiting to see what those in authority did.

However, that's where my understanding of his actions ends. From that point he HAS TO do something when he sees Sandusky on campus. HAS TO. That's where he failed, IMO.

Sorry we will have to agree to disagree on this, it was a cowardly act to leave that boy with a rapist and not try to help him.

That bold sentence right there is why JoePa SHOULD be thrown under the bus. He knew that a witness told him that he had seen "something of a sexual nature" between a grown man and a boy. JoePa knew enough of the "elaborate details" to report what he saw to his superior.

Do you truly believe that Paterno did not hear the word "sex" in that conversation? That is the entirety of what McQueary came to talk to him about - seeing Sandusky raping a child.

Paterno is on the hook, as we speak, for Failure to Report and for Obstruction of Justice. It is unclear whether he is guilty of either or both, but what is absolutely clear is that he did not do everything in his power to assure that children were safe. That is completely inarguable.

I don't see how you can defend that.