Fans thoughts on Joe Paterno coaching on Saturday...

TheMatador

About the facebook ad - This is the thing that upsets me is there are actually people that find that stuff funny. I am not blaming the poster that had it in here and I feel Knapplc is correct in disallowing it. But to me the reflection on our society that a joke can be made about kids being abused is to a certain extent just as appalling as the events of this case.

It isn't all going to Joe, but he's getting all of the attention because he's God at Penn State. If he had gone to the authorities and told them about it, they would be a lot more likely to investigate thoroughly.

Or said something to The Second Mile, or said something to campus police, or said something to the actual police, or made an anonymous phone call to Social Services, or banned Sandusky from campus/contact with the team/the facilities/etc.

Joe had opportunity after opportunity after opportunity after opportunity to do something about this. Instead he had one short conversation with his superior, and never touched the subject again until the Grand Jury brought him in to testify.

He is the Big Cheese on that campus. But he failed in his role, utterly and miserably. And children suffered because he did "the bare minimum."

About the facebook ad - This is the thing that upsets me is there are actually people that find that stuff funny. I am not blaming the poster that had it in here and I feel Knapplc is correct in disallowing it. But to me the reflection on our society that a joke can be made about kids being abused is to a certain extent just as appalling as the events of this case.

It's not me that is disallowing it (although I agree wholeheartedly with the policy), I'm just the instrument of that policy. I would be happy to take responsibility for that decision - I just didn't happen to make it. All I'm doing is enforcing it.

I know it seems sick that people are making jokes about this, but that's one way that society deals with tragedy. You hear jokes about plane crashes, 9/11, murders, etc. There were jokes about Michael Jackson's abuses, there were jokes about Rodney King, there were jokes about OJ and the murders. At some point it's just overwhelming to people that stuff this heinous happens, and joking about it - wrong though it may seem - is one way of dealing with it.

Not saying that's right or wrong, just that it's an identified coping measure in psychology.

There is nothing funny about this situation. That being said, some people including myself dont know how to deal with certain things like death, or molestation. So they make jokes to try and cope with it. I dont think its meant to be mean just how some people deal with this horiffic situation.

It's not me that is disallowing it (although I agree wholeheartedly with the policy), I'm just the instrument of that policy. I would be happy to take responsibility for that decision - I just didn't happen to make it. All I'm doing is enforcing it.

I know it seems sick that people are making jokes about this, but that's one way that society deals with tragedy. You hear jokes about plane crashes, 9/11, murders, etc. There were jokes about Michael Jackson's abuses, there were jokes about Rodney King, there were jokes about OJ and the murders. At some point it's just overwhelming to people that stuff this heinous happens, and joking about it - wrong though it may seem - is one way of dealing with it.

Not saying that's right or wrong, just that it's an identified coping measure in psychology.

Wow Knapp we had the same thought.

Assuming there's any merit whatsoever of the rumors surrounding a once RB turned LB that was dismissed from our team, I find a bit of hypocrisy flowing here. Obviously one crime to some degree is a lot more heinous than the other. I think we also forget about a certain gun being locked in a cabinet that was wanted because it was used to commit an alleged felony by two NU coaches. A county attorney went on record stating a certain coach attacked the credibility of witnesses testifying against his players. Again, this is not nearly as bad. However, over the years we have built our own glass house so to speak.

Assuming there's any merit whatsoever of the rumors surrounding a once RB turned LB that was dismissed from our team, I find a bit of hypocrisy flowing here. Obviously one crime to some degree is a lot more heinous than the other. I think we also forget about a certain gun being locked in a cabinet that was wanted because it was used to commit an alleged felony by two NU coaches. A county attorney went on record stating a certain coach attacked the credibility of witnesses testifying against his players. Again, this is not nearly as bad. However, over the years we have built our own glass house so to speak.

Where is the hypocrisy? Who here is saying they're fine with those things?

• Fire 1

I really, really wish he wouldn't coach. I think this is an instance where legality does not live up to moral responsibility. Knowing about something to this degree and not acting to stop it is a disgrace to all people out there that call themselves Men. If you have to rely on a "policy" to figure out if you are doing the right or wrong thing in this type of situation, you're doing a disgrace the human kind.

That being said, I think that JoePa is handling this completely wrong by trying to focus on a football game. I think the University is handling it wrong by standing behind the people that allowed this all to happen. I believe if JoePa had any real moral convictions, he would not coach any longer. It almost seems like by coaching they are gripping to the law to protect them instead of the moral and ethical code we have to each other as humans, and more importantly to innocent children who are so vulnerable.

He may be trying to coach this game to have one more home game for his legacy, but his legacy is no longer defined by a football field. It's defined by his selfishness of choosing his football legacy over that of abused children for the likes of at least 9 years.

We don't know what JoePa knows or didn't know. However, it seems many are more than willing to throw him under the bus. We do know to some degree what some past and present coaches at NU knew, and it seems we're completely fine with it.

There is nothing funny about this situation. That being said, some people including myself dont know how to deal with certain things like death, or molestation. So they make jokes to try and cope with it. I dont think its meant to be mean just how some people deal with this horiffic situation.

they are not making fun of the kids, just the absurdity of the situation. bigredpowerwagon is right, we just do not know how to deal with it.

We don't know what JoePa knows or didn't know. However, it seems many are more than willing to throw him under the bus. We do know to some degree what some past and present coaches at NU knew, and it seems we're completely fine with it.

Gun <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Rape of Children

Perspective. Get some.

As far as McQueary goes, and according to his testimony to the grand jury, he witnessed the rape of a ten year old boy in a Penn State locker room....WHAT WAS HIS REACTION ???? He didn't know what to do, so he told his daddy what happened and asked him for advice..... WHAT A LACK OF COURAGE, DECENCY, AND MANHOOD.....I think this question should be asked of the victims and their family members...I know what their answer would be.....

I don't have a problem with McQueary up to the point where he figured out nothing was going to happen with Sandusky. I would much preferred that he go in that shower and beat the hell out of Sandusky and save the kid, but I understand his reaction. It was human to be terrified of what he had witnessed. I see freaking out, reporting it, and hanging out for a while waiting to see what those in authority did.

However, that's where my understanding of his actions ends. From that point he HAS TO do something when he sees Sandusky on campus. HAS TO. That's where he failed, IMO.

Sorry we will have to agree to disagree on this, it was a cowardly act to leave that boy with a rapist and not try to help him.

I didn't say it wasn't a cowardly act. I said I could understand how he freaked out and reacted the way he did. That is NOT condoning his behavior.

i don't think any of us could imagine witnessing that. it is unfathomable. at least he did something. i feel bad he was put in that position and had to witness such an atrocity.

I'm sorry, but I would like to think that most of us would intervene if they saw a young child brutally assaulted by an adult, either by a physical intervention, or by dialing 911. I don't feel any compassion or understanding of McQueary in that situation.

i would like to think that too, but how would you even register what you were seeing. i am not saying he should not have intervened, i am just saying i can not imagine being in that position.