Fans thoughts on Joe Paterno coaching on Saturday...

TheMatador

I'm new to the message board, and I apoligize for the immediate link, but I'm curious what the Nebraksa nation thinks about Penn State, the upcoming game, and the fact Joe Paterno may still be on the sidelines this Saturday. Clearly, the Penn State student body wants JoePa to coach

He absolutely should not be coaching...but its debatable that he has been "coaching" for years now.....any coach that sits in the booth, without radio equipment on, obviously isnt "coaching" his team.....he has just been a figurehead for that program for years now....nothing more....

This case makes me sick...Nothing would please me more than NOT seeing Paterno at a stadium ever again....

Matador, I removed the link. The question stands on its own. Do Husker fans want JoePa to coach?

Personally, no. He should never coach again.

Based on what has appeared in the open media, Joe Paterno is guilty of a crime...a serious crime. This offers a good opportunity for the university (and the rest of us) to show that there is some things more important than his "legacy" or a football game - or a football season for that matter. Most of the reporting on this dwells on how this will affect the Penn State football team - not a lot about the victims. So, I agree. He needs to stay at home Saturday and for the rest of the season.

Matador, I removed the link. The question stands on its own. Do Husker fans want JoePa to coach?

Based on what has appeared in the open media, Joe Paterno is guilty of a crime...a serious crime. This offers a good opportunity for the university (and the rest of us) to show that there is some things more important than his "legacy" or a football game - or a football season for that matter. Most of the reporting on this dwells on how this will affect the Penn State football team - not a lot about the victims. So, I agree. He needs to stay at home Saturday and for the rest of the season.

I agree he should go, but what crime is he guilty of?

I'm in the camp of wait and see the facts before I make any judgements, but if it goes down in the direction the news seems to be heading, then make an example out of him to show that the University does not tolerate this behavior.

From what I've gathered an assistant coach approached Paterno many years ago. He reported witnessing the accused in a shower with a young boy. Joe went to his superiors to address the situation, left it in their hands, and moved on.

Given this, I don't know what to think. Obviously the act itself is despicable. Did Paterno do enough - my heart says absolutely not. He should have confronted the assistant coach. Probably should have socked him too.

But where does legality fit into this? I don't know enough to begin to comment.

But should Paterno followed up on this? Yes. Yes and Yes. And if all the allegations were true, he should have spearheaded the immediate termination and then criminal prosecution of that assistant coach. For his terrible acts. For all the boys he abused. For all of the trust he betrayed in families and friends, both of the children and the university. Joe should have put the foot down and shown that this type of behavior is completely unacceptable and will be punished most severely.

And if Joe let this happen, then he is nearly as guilty as the accused. And I hope he feels the weight of suffering from the victim's on his shoulders, knowing that he could have stopped it.

Not only is he presumed innocent until he's proven guilty legally, but from my understanding, there's technically nothing they can charge him with.

That said, if he was "placed on administrative leave pending the results of the investigation and trial", it wouldn't be out of the ordinary.