So I watched game tape last night . . .

Stickney

Kids in bed, wife travelling, what better than to review some NW game tape last night?

First, I am not a football expert. I know a few things. I don't know a lot more.

I never should have watched. It was even uglier and more painful in rewind.

A few observations:

1. Baker Steinkuhler played a very good game.

2. Why NU didn't try some deep passes early and often on Saturday is baffling.

3. NW wanted to win. They had creative plays. They played hard. They used Colter in nearly every way possible.

4. NU's lack of offensive creativity and unwillingness to use weapons is stifling (Turner, Heard, Green, Bell, Reed).

5. You have GOT to give Rex some rest. Why burn the redshirts if you don't use the Trio of RBs?

6. Where was that diamond formation?

7. And the defense. Oi. NW schemed very well. They isolated NU's weaknesses early, often, and continuously.

Bo and staff got outcoached. The team got outplayed.

My Hawkeye fan friend informs me that we just got "North-effin-westerned."

• Fire 3

Kids in bed, wife travelling, what better than to review some NW game tape last night?

First, I am not a football expert. I know a few things. I don't know a lot more.

A few observations:

3. NW wanted to win. They had creative plays. They played hard. They used Colter in nearly every way possible.

4. NU's lack of offensive creativity and unwillingness to use weapons is stifling (Turner, Heard, Green, Bell, Reed).

5. You have GOT to give Rex some rest. Why burn the redshirts if you don't use the Trio of RBs?

7. And the defense. Oi. NW schemed very well. They isolated NU's weaknesses early, often, and continuously.

That is awesome. I could have written that, word-for-word, except I'm not brave enough to rewatch the game. Everything you wrote is what I saw, and was baffled by, live at the game.

Love that you typed "oi." I say oi all the time, but I rarely type it. That alone made me think you were inside my head. +1

I will tell you why we didn't throw the deep ball, 25 mph winds, the only deep ball thrown by martinez was caught up in the wind and fell like a dead rock, could have been picked off if the defense was ready to look for it to die in the air like that. I bet the defense would know this and expect it on the next deep ball. No wind/little wind and we would have had it in our playbook for sure.

I will tell you why we didn't throw the deep ball, 25 mph winds, the only deep ball thrown by martinez was caught up in the wind and fell like a dead rock, could have been picked off if the defense was ready to look for it to die in the air like that. I bet the defense would know this and expect it on the next deep ball. No wind/little wind and we would have had it in our playbook for sure.

Fair point, you can't see wind on tape.

But NW took a couple shots. Even if unsuccessful, I think you need to try something to loosen them up deep. How about Turner on a reverse pass or something. NW certainly had some creative formations. More importantly, they had a gameplan to isolate and attack NU's weakness.

NU on both offense and defense seemed to have gone vanilla.

But, understood, wind was a factor.

I agree with you for the most part but here's a couple things I noticed courtesy my DVR:

2. Deep passes - agreed we haven't tried as many recently like earlier in the year. However, we didn't really need any against Mich. St. and it was apparently pretty windy vs. NW so that might have something to do with it.

4. I think you're a little off here. It has been well-discussed in another thread that Turner seems to be coasting recently and needed a wake up call. I think Reed's problem is blocking. I'd like to see him more in the offense but he misses a lot of blocks which I think is costing him playing time. I thought Bell was actually pretty involved - five catches and two drops (I think). That leaves Green and Heard but it's just pretty tough to take Burkhead off the field - although I agree with point #5.

6. We did run at least one play where we had the two flanking backs but minus the deep back. I'd like to see more of this as well. Also, I think for the first time since Wisconsin we broke out the zone read fake then fire the ball to the flat. I think that play really has potential.

Unfortunately, I have an inability to rewatch losses like that...My DVR recording on each TV was deleted shortly after 0:00. Prior to DVR, I recall the Jamaal Lord INT in the EZ Texas game...I took the freshly recorded VHS tape, along with a baseball bat, out into the street and dispatched it with great prejudice...

4. I think you're a little off here. It has been well-discussed in another thread that Turner seems to be coasting recently and needed a wake up call. I think Reed's problem is blocking. I'd like to see him more in the offense but he misses a lot of blocks which I think is costing him playing time. I thought Bell was actually pretty involved - five catches and two drops (I think). That leaves Green and Heard but it's just pretty tough to take Burkhead off the field - although I agree with point #5.

I can't disagree. I understand trying to make a point with a player. But, I also know some guys don't practice well.

I also know that some guys make one on field mistake and get pulled and sent to Siberia (seemingly) and others make mistake after mistake and earn blackshirts.

I just saw how NW used both Persa and Colter (because they are their best players and they need Colter in the game at wherever they can put him). Guys like Green and Turner and Bell look similar to me. And it would rest Rex.

But, as I said, I can't disagree based on my limited knowledge (but I can be critical, haha).

The one thing I noticed about their defense other than they had 8 or 9 in the box was that they flowed (2nd and 3rd level) to the sideline super fast. Misdirection would have been very helpful...when Taylor runs speed option he does one of two things first off he rarely pitches unless there is nothing there...and against NW he immediately ran to the side line on speed option plays, and most times NW was there because they were flowing at the snap. If he does pitch he often has very poor spacing because he takes off full speed of course and by the time Rex gets the pitch and he is either almost out of bounds or so close to Taylor the defender who was about to tackle Taylor is right there to tackle Burkhead as well. I would say we need to use the FB more but the blocking at FB has not been superior this season either. Plays using a FB have been reduced significantly btw. I think Marrow would have been huge for NU, it's too bad he could not enroll.

A few observations:

That is awesome. I could have written that, word-for-word, except I'm not brave enough to rewatch the game. Everything you wrote is what I saw, and was baffled by, live at the game.

Love that you typed "oi." I say oi all the time, but I rarely type it. That alone made me think you were inside my head. +1

I too am in the brave enough catagory, I deleated the game on Sunday.