Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

"Right now I'm not the football coach, and that's something I have to get used to." - that's a great statement Joe Pa.

Where did u see this quote?

ESPN reported it as his statement. after watching further it sounds like he said it to some students outside his house. Who the hell knows at this point.

This is one of those moments when you will remember where you were when you found out for a very long time.

I'm not going to lie, this is going straight down the memory hole. I'm not making a political statement or anything but so far there have only been two events I think I will always remember vividly...9/11 and the moment when Osama Bin Laden's death was announced. This will not be a moment that flashes before my eyes while I die beneath that french hooker.

• Fire 1

Ridiculous... this was a modern day witch hunt fueled by careless media making a lot of assumptions and suppositions with no real basis on factual evidence - that the BoT fired Paterno is not surprising given the rumors they've been trying to oust him for years, but fervor for which "we" were clamoring for his firing to "punish" him is repugnant.

The whole "he should have morally done more" argument is the result of hindsight and a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking. It's always much easier to see how a someone screwed up after the fact and what they should've/could've done to change things - it's much, much harder to perform at that kind of level of self-realization during a situation. As for the "I would've done this or kicked this person's ***&^^*, " well, we're all real tough on the internet, but the majority of us would have done no more than he did - reported it to his superiors - and of those who actually may have done more (which is very few) even fewer could actually back it up. Honestly, disgusted at what was done to those boys, disgusted it was covered up and disgusted with the pitchfork and torches mob mentality that we've allowed ourselves to be stirred up into by the media.

Thank goodness our legal system gives zero weight to judgement of the court of public opinion, else we'd all hang. I only hope that the rioting is quelled before anyone gets seriously hurt as there's no need to had further injury, hurt and pain to this mess of a situation.

This is what i don't like the about the whole situation. Curley or Schultz could have easily told Paterno or McQueary that it had been turned over to the authorities or that it was taken care of.

But because of the media fueled firestorm. Everyone is made to look like the bad guy.

Ridiculous... this was a modern day witch hunt fueled by careless media making a lot of assumptions and suppositions with no real basis on factual evidence - that the BoT fired Paterno is not surprising given the rumors they've been trying to oust him for years, but fervor for which "we" were clamoring for his firing to "punish" him is repugnant.

The whole "he should have morally done more" argument is the result of hindsight and a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking. It's always much easier to see how a someone screwed up after the fact and what they should've/could've done to change things - it's much, much harder to perform at that kind of level of self-realization during a situation. As for the "I would've done this or kicked this person's ***&^^*, " well, we're all real tough on the internet, but the majority of us would have done no more than he did - reported it to his superiors - and of those who actually may have done more (which is very few) even fewer could actually back it up. Honestly, disgusted at what was done to those boys, disgusted it was covered up and disgusted with the pitchfork and torches mob mentality that we've allowed ourselves to be stirred up into by the media.

Thank goodness our legal system gives zero weight to judgement of the court of public opinion, else we'd all hang. I only hope that the rioting is quelled before anyone gets seriously hurt as there's no need to had further injury, hurt and pain to this mess of a situation.

This is what i don't like the about the whole situation. Curley or Schultz could have easily told Paterno or McQueary that it had been turned over to the authorities or that it was taken care of.

But because of the media fueled firestorm. Everyone is made to look like the bad guy.

It took them 4 days, but better late than never.

Right - how many years ago was that? If you caught someone at work sodomizing a kid (a 10 year old boy) and you told your boss and the a-hole was still visiting your place of employment 10 YEARS LATER, you wouldn't have some kind of issue with that?!

Read the Grand Jury report. You have no idea what you're talking about when you say this is fueled by the media. This has been entirely driven by Joe Paterno's lack of action over nine-plus years of knowledge of Sandusky's actions.

• Fire 2
it's much, much harder to perform at that kind of level of self-realization during a situation.

Well that's just too damn bad, tell it to the 40 kids or their families and see if they agree with you. "In the heat of the moment" doesn't absolve people of crimes of omission, just like it doesn't absolve them of crimes of commission.

• Fire 1

If you think for one minute I'm going to spare a drop of sympathy for Paterno, you're fooling yourself. The only people I have sympathy for are the kids who were raped and abused.

• Fire 1
it's much, much harder to perform at that kind of level of self-realization during a situation.

Well that's just too damn bad, tell it to the 40 kids or their families and see if they agree with you. "In the heat of the moment" doesn't absolve people of crimes of omission, just like it doesn't absolve them of crimes of commission.

+1. Well spoken.