Can someone please explain what our offensive identity is?

The Duke

Something else that baffles me is how explosive Turner was at the begining of the year and now it looks like we wasted his red shirt. I have no clue what the heck they were thinking. I also think the same thing with the way they have handled our young running backs. They def could have red shirted green or heard with how little they have played this year!!!!

I have no idea, but I get confused as to why we don't see the diamond formation anymore? We haven't seen it since Michigan State correct? It's very hard for any team to stop that.

I agree BIGREDIOWAN. That formation was extremely effective against Ohio State. And I did see us use it once today against Penn State, but that was about it. To me it just doesn't seem like there is a method to Tim Beck's playcalling. I doesn't seem like we have a concept of having one play set up another play, and so on and so forth. Don't get me wrong he called a great game against Ohio State & Michigan State, but if you look at the season as a whole I just don't see where he or the coaching staff is trying to take this offense just yet.

That means it should work all the time against everyone....right?

I like Beck and will continue to back the guy. As Taylor continues to get better (never thought I would say that), I have enjoyed Beck's game even more.

Some of these responses surprise me, I thought we played pretty well against a very good defense. Last year or the year before we would have struggled to put 6 points on the board.

I agree, but thinking there's a frustration that we do well against a good defense in PSU, but fail in a bad defense like Minn...

It seems our offensive identity is Mass Trickeration. It seems like we spend way too much time trying to set up plays for later in the game or later in the season. Only problem is, it seems like what we're trying to set up is pretty obvious. Everyone and their brother called the fact that Rex was running that toss-sweep play early in the game was setting up the Rex Pass, and it didn't fool Penn State at all. On fourth-and-one to seal the game, we ran the same play, but since the pass didn't work last time we just ran the sweep, and PSU was ready for it. Again.

We don't fool anybody, and in fact our offense is predictable enough that Northwestern figured it out and shut it down - and that was the worst defense we'll see all year.

Beck needs to stop being tricky and just put helmets on helmets.

That is just like when Burkhead went in behind the center the third time, Penn State knew exactly what was going to happen and they shot the gap and caused a fumble. I dont know why we go to the well so often on things that dont work.

I don't know that we can blame that fumble on us being so redundant that PSU knew exactly what was going to happen. I mean, the guy was on top of Rex the minute he took the snap. If you mean that PSU knew that the ball was going to be snapped and Rex was going to turn one way or the other with the ball, just like the QB ALWAYS does, then yes, PSU knew exactly what was going to happen.

If they could just shoot that gap anytime they knew the QB was going to take the snap they shoulda' just done it when Taylor was back there. My best guess is that either our OL messed up, or perhaps Rex was being really obvious with his cadence and PSU picked up on it.

I have no idea, but I get confused as to why we don't see the diamond formation anymore? We haven't seen it since Michigan State correct? It's very hard for any team to stop that.

Ran it at least four times today. PSU was just blowing up the guard/center gaps with fury, and blowing up those gaps when the diamond was ran really hurt the chance of success.

Well obviously I missed it, I was at work and had to switch back-and-forth between our game and the Iowa game. Had an Iowa fan in the room...............

Fire him!

What is Oregon's identity?

On the whole Beck has done a good job testing a variety of schemes to see what our players can execute well. Sure, sometimes it looks like throwing stuff at random and seeing what sticks, but we have been putting together drives far better than the last two seasons. Our identity is the backs are going to get a lot of carries.

Although it may appear sporadic and like there is no thought process, I am sure that there is some rhyme and reason behind what is going on, I just haven't figured it out yet. We have been able to run the ball pretty well against two highly rated defensive fronts in MSU and PSU, but we laid an egg against a very poorly rated Northwestern team. Anything can happen I guess.

I know one thing is we need to use our fullbacks more often just handing to rex makes us too predictable.

I know and its unfortunate the only attempted handoff to the fullback in this game resulted in a fumble, which by the way if was reviewed Should have went back to the Huskers.

beck said before the season started that we would be the type of offense that would take what the D gives us. The only problem is I see us running into the D's strengths in crucial 3rd and 4th downs. It sucks to say but I dont have faith that we could pound the ball like we did earlier in the year. I still get nervous when T-mart drops back to throw, but I will be the first to say that he as improved over the last three weeks. Now if we can get Kinnie and Co. to catch the ball on important 3rd downs.

We need to hand out the super-glue.