Can someone please explain what our offensive identity is?

The Duke

Although it may appear sporadic and like there is no thought process, I am sure that there is some rhyme and reason behind what is going on, I just haven't figured it out yet. We have been able to run the ball pretty well against two highly rated defensive fronts in MSU and PSU, but we laid an egg against a very poorly rated Northwestern team. Anything can happen I guess.

Although it may appear sporadic and like there is no thought process, I am sure that there is some rhyme and reason behind what is going on, I just haven't figured it out yet. We have been able to run the ball pretty well against two highly rated defensive fronts in MSU and PSU, but we laid an egg against a very poorly rated Northwestern team. Anything can happen I guess.

I know one thing is we need to use our fullbacks more often just handing to rex makes us too predictable.

Let me throw this question out there because my brother and I had a very good and long discussion over this. As Husker fans which do you prefer more on 1st & 10 and 2nd & 10 type situations, a quarterback under center or a quarterback 5 yards back from the line of scrimmage in the Pistol formation?

I was heavily for the quarterback under center, and my brother said the Pistol formation gives the running back a better chance to make his reads. I just feel when the QB is under center theoretically you're closer to the line of scrimmage meaning you don't have to go as far to get a first down.

What are your thoughts?

I have no idea, but I get confused as to why we don't see the diamond formation anymore? We haven't seen it since Michigan State correct? It's very hard for any team to stop that.

Ran it at least four times today. PSU was just blowing up the guard/center gaps with fury, and blowing up those gaps when the diamond was ran really hurt the chance of success.

Penetration in the middle of the line blows up a vast majority of offenses. Think of the amount of plays Suh disrupted by being in the backfield. Thats why it is so puzzling to me how we play defense.

I know one thing is we need to use our fullbacks more often just handing to rex makes us too predictable.

Yet he still gets what he does play after play, but true on what you said...

Yet he still gets what he does play after play, but true on what you said...

Yeah he does but damn he looked wore out after today's game.

Running the same play twice in a row, that doesn't help matters either

It seems our offensive identity is Mass Trickeration. It seems like we spend way too much time trying to set up plays for later in the game or later in the season. Only problem is, it seems like what we're trying to set up is pretty obvious. Everyone and their brother called the fact that Rex was running that toss-sweep play early in the game was setting up the Rex Pass, and it didn't fool Penn State at all. On fourth-and-one to seal the game, we ran the same play, but since the pass didn't work last time we just ran the sweep, and PSU was ready for it. Again.

We don't fool anybody, and in fact our offense is predictable enough that Northwestern figured it out and shut it down - and that was the worst defense we'll see all year.

Beck needs to stop being tricky and just put helmets on helmets.

beck said before the season started that we would be the type of offense that would take what the D gives us. The only problem is I see us running into the D's strengths in crucial 3rd and 4th downs. It sucks to say but I dont have faith that we could pound the ball like we did earlier in the year. I still get nervous when T-mart drops back to throw, but I will be the first to say that he as improved over the last three weeks. Now if we can get Kinnie and Co. to catch the ball on important 3rd downs.

It seems our offensive identity is Mass Trickeration. It seems like we spend way too much time trying to set up plays for later in the game or later in the season. Only problem is, it seems like what we're trying to set up is pretty obvious. Everyone and their brother called the fact that Rex was running that toss-sweep play early in the game was setting up the Rex Pass, and it didn't fool Penn State at all. On fourth-and-one to seal the game, we ran the same play, but since the pass didn't work last time we just ran the sweep, and PSU was ready for it. Again.

We don't fool anybody, and in fact our offense is predictable enough that Northwestern figured it out and shut it down - and that was the worst defense we'll see all year.

Beck needs to stop being tricky and just put helmets on helmets.

That is just like when Burkhead went in behind the center the third time, Penn State knew exactly what was going to happen and they shot the gap and caused a fumble. I dont know why we go to the well so often on things that dont work.