Containing Robinson and Michigan

jamrinelli

I am very concerend with this weeks game. I know that we will be able to move the ball on Michigan and that we will be able to throw some looks at Drob that he hasnt seen this year. But what worries me is how freaking fast he is and how good he is at breakin containment on the outside. This has been our struggle ALL year, containing QB's that has any speed at all, the stats show how successful soem of them were at running against us, but what it doesnt show is how well they got outside the pocket and threw against us. I think we have a good chance to win next week but we have to figure out a way to contan Robinson and to make him make so mistakes!!!

Here are the rushing stats that some of the QB's did against us with attempts, yards, TD's and long

Carr 3 16 1 16

Price 6 10 0 9

Wilson 6 32 1 21

Miller 10 91 0 29

Gray 17 67 1 30

Colter 17 57 2

I wasn't impressed with Michigan at all yesterday. I was watching the game with one eye and if Illinois offense had shown up at all that would have been a totally different ballgame. They were just abysmal, 1 first down in the first 29 min, 2 total first half. It was like a rerun of NU playing TAMU. And Michigan, except for a few big runs by Toussaint (he had 140 of his 192yds on 4 carries but had 52 yds on 23 carries the rest of the way) hadn't much going offensively either. Granted Robinson didn't play much in the second half due to getting hit on his wrist but there wasn't much offense in the first half either. And I do believe our defense is as good as Illinois.

Here are some interesting tidbits about DRob and Michigan:

When Michigan played Michigan State back on October 15, the Spartans held coach Brady Hoke's offense to just 250 total yards, 165 accounted for by Robinson. So although Denard will still get his numbers and be the Wolverines most productive player, it's obvious that isolating him is the answer.

Each time Robinson had more than 20 carries and less than 20 passing attempts (with the exception of the Notre Dame game), Michigan won.

Michigan's defense has improved remarkably this year, but its biggest weakness in recent weeks has been its incapacity to contain outside runs.

Defensive coordinator Greg Mattison said the biggest reason the Wolverines are struggling on the perimeter is defenders are not fighting off blocks by receivers.

It also sounds like Drob isn't always accurate when he throws. Dennard/David could have a field day picking off his passes. AND putting pressure on him makes him make poor plays so we have GOT TO bring our best defensive game to Michigan next week! GBR!!

The coaches will have a scheme ready for this game, but Michigan and Denard Robinson remind me a lot of the Tyrod Taylor led Virginia Tech. VT beat us both times we played them and it always seemed that Tyrod was able to extend a play or use his feet to make a play when VT needed it. I could see us winning this game but likely, being in such a hostile environment in Michigan and the way Denard can make plays, I see us losing a close one. Our defensive line has been one of the weakest parts of this team (injuries haven't helped), I think Michigan is the type of team that can expose us. If the coaches are smart, they really cut loose the reins on Lavonte David and make sure he has Denard Robinson in his sight all day long.

I am very concerend with this weeks game. I know that we will be able to move the ball on Michigan and that we will be able to throw some looks at Drob that he hasnt seen this year. But what worries me is how freaking fast he is and how good he is at breakin containment on the outside. This has been our struggle ALL year, containing QB's that has any speed at all, the stats show how successful soem of them were at running against us, but what it doesnt show is how well they got outside the pocket and threw against us. I think we have a good chance to win next week but we have to figure out a way to contan Robinson and to make him make so mistakes!!!

Here are the rushing stats that some of the QB's did against us with attempts, yards, TD's and long

Carr 3 16 1 16

Price 6 10 0 9

Wilson 6 32 1 21

Miller 10 91 0 29

Gray 17 67 1 30

Colter 17 57 2

We might not have the talent that MSU has on the DL but Bo needs to put his ego aside, call up Dantonio and ask him for the blue print on how MSU harassed UM all day long and beat up Robinson.

Anything less and you might see an UGLY game with NU on the wrong side of a wood shed beating.

Carr 3 16 1 16

Price 6 10 0 9

Wilson 6 32 1 21

Miller 10 91 0 29

Gray 17 67 1 30

Colter 17 57 2

We might not have the talent that MSU has on the DL but Bo needs to put his ego aside, call up Dantonio and ask him for the blue print on how MSU harassed UM all day long and beat up Robinson.

Anything less and you might see an UGLY game with NU on the wrong side of a wood shed beating.

They blitzed a ton against DRob and it rattled him...only problem is...you risk the deep ball....eh...I say blitz the sh#t out of him!!! DOOO IT!

The problem is our Dline hasnt come up with any consistant pressure ALL year. I have a hard time seeing us beating up on Robinson unless we come up with some different schemes that we havent used this year. Also I am concerned with how thin we upfront right now. I agree that we need to use a spy on him at times to try and keep him honest.

I wasn't impressed with Michigan at all yesterday. I was watching the game with one eye and if Illinois offense had shown up at all that would have been a totally different ballgame. They were just abysmal, 1 first down in the first 29 min, 2 total first half. It was like a rerun of NU playing TAMU. And Michigan, except for a few big runs by Toussaint (he had 140 of his 192yds on 4 carries but had 52 yds on 23 carries the rest of the way) hadn't much going offensively either. Granted Robinson didn't play much in the second half due to getting hit on his wrist but there wasn't much offense in the first half either. And I do believe our defense is as good as Illinois.

I'm with you, but I disagree in your last statement. Illinois has a talented defense. They force turnovers and their D-line is very good at getting pressure and disrupting an offense's gameplan.