Should Bo Pull Scholarships of Underachievers? Yes.

When the player commits to a university, the player cannot go to another school of the same level without sitting out a season.

This isn't true for a guy who hasn't played a snap. If he didn't play for the whole year, then he redshirted and can immediately transfer.

Oh, so after one red-shirt season just kick the bum to the curb? Or are you saying that players should bail on us after one red-shirt season? Ether way it's no good. If a player wants to bail, I say good riddance. If a player is doing what they been asked to do, I have no problem honoring the commitment to them. Actually, I think that should apply in all aspects of life.

If that is how you define ethics you need to rethink yourself....

What's so wrong with saying, "If you don't pull your weight, your gone"? Every single one of us faces this every single day when we go to work. Why should these kids get special treatment? I'd have an end-of-the-year review and tell the kids, "You will remain on scholarship for the spring, but by next fall you won't have a scholarship." It gives them plenty of time to transfer or make other plans. Why is that so unethical? This is sports. Sports has always been about the best receiving the rewards and the not-so-good not getting rewards.

This is ridiculous. You know how you cover your ass with respect to recruits 'panning out'. It's called scouting. You don't go after a kid with the idea that he's going to underacheive. You evaluate his attitude, accomplishments, and his ceiling. If you're wrong, you're wrong. If you go into a kid's living room and say 'by the way, you don't pull your weight, you're gone', then good luck competing for top athletes. One of the great selling points, especially to the kid's parents, is if the kid gets hurt and can't play football anymore, he'll STILL have an opportunity to earn a top flight education without going into severe debt. That's the trade off. The university gets a TON of money, and in return, foots the bill for the football team's tuition. Small price to pay for some of the numbers thrown around during football season in Lincoln.

More to the point....what are you looking to solve with this policy? Are you insinuating that the players are all loafing because they know they've got a free education in the bag? Do you think that Collins Okafor would be a starter if he were living in fear of his ride being pulled for failure to earn his spot? What it looks like to me is another bitter fan, trying to disguise his frustration after a loss by pretending to propose a 'solution' when the team under performs. If you have a problem with college players not living up to their potential, you've got to look at the coach who recruited them.

this is what basically separates the B1G from the SEC and some other conferences (the ACC comes to mind as another example), I'm glad to see that most people here have the same opinion on this as I do, you just don't pull a schollie because of lack of performance on the field as long as they represent the university well off the field, what kind of message does it send if you cut kids loose that may be doing everything else right, and then give others (that may be playing or starting) second chances...? a fifth year is different, but give them the four years to get their degree (at the very least), that's what they signed up for...

So you advocate oversigning? (Essentially this is the same thing)

The problem that I have with over signing is that the players aren't told that their scholarships can be yanked. My point is that, so long as you give fair advanced warning, there's no problem with yanking the scholarship. We are trying to prepare these kids for life? What better education than to learn that underachieving does NOT result in rewards.

first...this is a ridiculous thread...not surprising considering who posted it...

second...I don't think all of these kids are underachieving. Did you expect Micah to be starting today? That was a "token" scholarship from day 1. It's not the kids fault that the coaches did a poor job evaluating them. I don't think we have too many kids on scholarship that aren't giving 100% to the program. That's all that you can ask of them - everything else is on the coaches and it's part of it. If we only had 30 scholarships to give then I'd agree w/ you entirely...but these coaches have 63 scholarships that aren't on the field. They have 50 scholarship players that aren't regularly playing. Should all those 50 guys live their lives worrying their time at Nebraska could end at any give time...not due to a lack of effort but that someone might just come along that is better?

...if you only value the select few that contribute on the field...then you must really hate the walk-ons.

• Fire 1

If that is how you define ethics you need to rethink yourself....

What's so wrong with saying, "If you don't pull your weight, your gone"? Every single one of us faces this every single day when we go to work. Why should these kids get special treatment? I'd have an end-of-the-year review and tell the kids, "You will remain on scholarship for the spring, but by next fall you won't have a scholarship." It gives them plenty of time to transfer or make other plans. Why is that so unethical? This is sports. Sports has always been about the best receiving the rewards and the not-so-good not getting rewards.

Last I checked they are students first. In your world a kid who either gets hurt, or just doesn't live up to the hype, but pulls a 4.0, is considered an anchor on the team, motivating kids around him etc.., should be dumped, but if you beat your girlfriend, cheat, lie, skip class, but rushed for a 1000 yards, hey welcome to the fold, this is COLLEGE sports, not the NFL....

Okay, I'll admit you guys make some good points. Maybe it's not a good idea. Just food for thought for a slow Tuesday.

Well, if everyone was honest and we all stopped lying to ourselves about the absurdity of an "amateur student athlete" while institutions, coaches, ESPN, and advertisers make $$$$$$ off of these "student athletes" than your points would be more than correct, unfortunately.

Just consider yourself way ahead of us college football addicted luddites.

I realize we have to talk about something on these boards but this issue is pushing us beyond our bounds as fans. Managing schollies is up to Bo and the football staff and no one else. They know and understand the ramifications of awarding or pulling scholarships better than we do. When they give a one year renewable scholly, I would assume they review all pertinent information before deciding to renew it. Is there any reason they could not rescind one now if it was warranted? Seems it would have to be a pretty serious situation to go back on your word. We don't know everything that goes on. I would bet that if/when we have a kid really abusing a scholly by absolutely not contributing anything to the team that Bo would pull it. Please correct me if I'm wrong. What about the "Rudy" type kid that maybe got the scholly, didn't totally pan out as a game contributor, but puts forth effort and helps the team in other ways? If we start pulling those, good luck convincing future signees.