Legitimacy of injuries becoming an issue

ESPN Big 10 Blog

For the second straight week in the Big Ten, the authenticity of a team's injuries has been called into question.

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini didn't specifically accuse Michigan of faking injuries to slow the tempo of his offense down last week, but he did talk in general about it after a few Wolverines' defenders went down during the Huskers' 45-17 loss in Ann Arbor.

"I think it has been pretty obvious at times, but it obviously hasn't been to the referees," Pelini told reporters on Monday at his weekly news conference.

I can see some coaches pushing the idea that if a player goes down that he has to miss the rest of that series and can't come back on the field. Sometimes it's just too obvious when a player goes down writhing in pain, then is able to run back onto the field for the next play.

more rules for occasional situations of abuse?......not for the good of the game.

I can see some coaches pushing the idea that if a player goes down that he has to miss the rest of that series and can't come back on the field. Sometimes it's just too obvious when a player goes down writhing in pain, then is able to run back onto the field for the next play.

Faking injuries has become a joke and shows a complete lack of integrity.............

Maybe they ought to either be held out for the entire series OR lose a timeout if they return.....................?..............I know that sounds radical but something has to be done..........

I don't think Kovacs was faking an injury, he looked like he had tweaked something (kid is a RS Jr. and has had two knee surgeries and sat out against Iowa a couple weeks ago because of injury), kids are taught to go down if they can't go and you can see our CB Floyd motioning for him to go down when he sees him trying to limp back to his safety spot, it's probably become a point of emphasis (going down when injured) by the coaches since our Purdue game, our LG was limping after a play on the goal line and didn't go down, tried to play on one leg on 3rd and goal from the 2, got destroyed on the ensuing play and the play blew up because of it (his man bull rushed him and made the play in the backfield) and we had to settle for a FG...

I don't like fake injuries either, but I don't think Kovacs was faking it...

Hate to rain on the parade, but didn't Suh flop in a game his Junior(?) year against Okie Lite (?) and we applauded him for it?

Who applauded him for it? I was embarrassed when I found out he faked it.

Some did IIRC

Well, those people shouldn't have done that.

The problem with faking injuries is that there are no rules against it in the NCAA. Can you really fault coaches for using stupid rules to their advantage?

Hate to rain on the parade, but didn't Suh flop in a game his Junior(?) year against Okie Lite (?) and we applauded him for it?

Didn't Suh flop because someone else was hurt and couldn't get off the field fast enough?

Yes. Dennard was badly injured and a little dazed, and he wasn't leaving the field despite half the defense telling him to get off. Suh did fake an injury.

It's quite a different story with the Michigan/Michigan State injuries. Nobody was faking an injury in order to help out a legitimately injured teammate. Kovacs was smiling on the ground as the trainers came up to him. #5 for Michigan State got "injured" four or five times against us. The intent of the Michigan/Michigan State injuries was to slow down the game. The intent of Suh's injury was to help an injured teammate.

Didn't Suh flop because someone else was hurt and couldn't get off the field fast enough?

Yes. Dennard was badly injured and a little dazed, and he wasn't leaving the field despite half the defense telling him to get off. Suh did fake an injury.

It's quite a different story with the Michigan/Michigan State injuries. Nobody was faking an injury in order to help out a legitimately injured teammate. Kovacs was smiling on the ground as the trainers came up to him. #5 for Michigan State got "injured" four or five times against us. The intent of the Michigan/Michigan State injuries was to slow down the game. The intent of Suh's injury was to help an injured teammate.

OK, now I remember the situation. Let's say I was a little "fuzzy" during the game. The accolaides to Suh was for his quick thinking to help his team mate