Man, is it just me or are there an unusually high number of firings in college football this year? Maybe it's a normal amount...I don't know. Hope we can capitalize on it with some big upgrades to our staff. There are at least 3 unemployed coaches out there right now who I'd love to see find a spot on NU's staff. I didn't feel that way last year I can guarantee you. Neither did Bo I'm guessing just by looking at who all he brought in...pretty underwhelming if you ask me. I know I'm dreaming, but if we could figure out a way to get these guys on staff, I'd say open up the purse strings to make it happen...

Stoops - - Defensive genius, the Stoops name, should know the B1G landscape given his roots, Bo's friend

Gill - - Offensive option genius, help with quarterbacks, Nebraska guy - could be his final destination, I'm assuming Bo's friend - definitely TO's friend

Zook - - Recruiting genius, knows the B1G landscape, not sure of his relationship with Bo

I know all of these guys are just coming off head coaching jobs, so the thought of all of them ending up as position coaches is pretty slim...especially at one place. But I doubt any of them is seriously considered for any descent head coaching jobs as they are all coming off of perceived failures at mid-low level head coaching jobs already. And we could get pretty creative with some job titles if we have to...co-coordinators, assistant head coach, associate head coach, etc. Plus two of the 3 have serious ties to the program. I'd take all 3 over any of our current assistants in just about any capacity.

• Fire 2

It is sad to see Carl go, but this is an opportunity that he has to take. If he retired from coaching without taking an opportunity like this, I am sure he might regret it. However, I think it would be a mistake for Bo to promote JP to Defensive Cooridnator. I do not think that JP seems ready for that position, and this was his first year coaching the DLine without Carl, and the DLine was significantly worse then the year before, with pretty much the same guys. That is not a good sign at all. My only complaint about Bo is this "Promote-A-Friend" campaign he does with every hire. While Mike Stoops is a friend, he is more qualified, and probably gettable for Nebraska.

Man, is it just me or are there an unusually high number of firings in college football this year? Maybe it's a normal amount...I don't know. Hope we can capitalize on it with some big upgrades to our staff. There are at least 3 unemployed coaches out there right now who I'd love to see find a spot on NU's staff. I didn't feel that way last year I can guarantee you. Neither did Bo I'm guessing just by looking at who all he brought in...pretty underwhelming if you ask me. I know I'm dreaming, but if we could figure out a way to get these guys on staff, I'd say open up the purse strings to make it happen...

Stoops - - Defensive genius, the Stoops name, should know the B1G landscape given his roots, Bo's friend

Gill - - Offensive option genius, help with quarterbacks, Nebraska guy - could be his final destination, I'm assuming Bo's friend - definitely TO's friend

Zook - - Recruiting genius, knows the B1G landscape, not sure of his relationship with Bo

I know all of these guys are just coming off head coaching jobs, so the thought of all of them ending up as position coaches is pretty slim...especially at one place. But I doubt any of them is seriously considered for any descent head coaching jobs as they are all coming off of perceived failures at mid-low level head coaching jobs already. And we could get pretty creative with some job titles if we have to...co-coordinators, assistant head coach, associate head coach, etc. Plus two of the 3 have serious ties to the program. I'd take all 3 over any of our current assistants in just about any capacity.

Everyone needs to get off of the "Gill to Nebraska" kick.... It is amusing how so much of us think that because Gill is a Nebraska guy, Bo will/should bring him back. Bo doesn't give a Sh*t if Gill is a Nebraska guy. Bo and Gill aren't friends, never were, and Bo couldn't care less about Nebraska "ties".

Bo is a Nebraska type of guy, but he is not a Nebraska guy....Gill isn't coming to Nebraska, and I'm not so sure he would bring anything to the table.

• Fire 1

Its a high year. They projected as many as 15 coaches will be fired plus then their is the trickle down. Sad part is there really isn't a hot name out there. Peterson and Patterson have really reached the point they will stay at their schools. I would be shocked if Patterson ever left now that they are in the B12 and he has unlimited money. For him to leave he'd have to be pretty pissed as its rumored he has millions in oil futures promised to him. There are about the same 4 coaches listed for every job. Houston's coach is hot and for some reason Mullen is...but I'm not quite sure why their so high on him. The fad of hiring an NFL guy to college is ending too. All of the major coaches are pretty happy where they are and thats fantastic for college football as we can see teams build and maintain success. This is a year that an AD makes his money I guess.

Devils advocate................why would Stoops take a job where Bo is in reality the DC and looking over your shoulder....................not giving you total autonomy...........?

Because it would be the same job that he would have as Co-DC at Ohio State, but at Nebraska he would have the title and the money?

I understand your logic, but all of these guys would be here and gone in 2-3 years off to head coaching again, and we would be right back in the same spot. Bo might not make the glamour hires but these guys are going to do it his way, and they will more then likely be here for a long time, as they will not be sought after like stoops. It may take them a year or two to get everything down completely but once they do, then it could be a good working machine for awhile.

I would like to hire stoops for the "wow" factor with recruits and fans alike, but i just dont see that happening. Bo will want the defense run his way. JP will do that. Bo took over calling the Defense this year again half way through the year, im sure he will do the same with JP learning. Besides JP is a hell of a recruiter and in a couple years when our defense gets back, he will be able to do some damage on the recruiting trail with that title.

I understand your logic, but all of these guys would be here and gone in 2-3 years off to head coaching again. Bo might not make the glamour hires but these guys are going to do it his way, and they will more then likely be here for a long time, as they will not be sought after like stoops. It may take them a year or two to get everything down completely but once they do, then it could be a good working machine for awhile.

I would like to hire stoops for the "wow" factor with recruits and fans alike, but i just dont see that happening. Bo will want the defense run his way. JP will do that.Bo took over calling the Defense this year agaim, im sure he will do the same will JP learning. Beside JP is a hell of a recruiter and in a couple years when our defense gets back, he will be able to do some damage on the recruiting trail with that title.

I think its quite odd that people are excited that we could get Stoops yet he is known to have the qualities that everyone dislikes in Bo (fast temper and swears) and Carl (booze and women). Can we say "fickle" Nebraska fans? Or am I right that people don't really care about that...they just have it in for Bo and his temper is an easy talking point?

Either way, we will have to spend another year breaking in new coaches.

Look at it this way, dude: Would you rather keep Taylor Martinez for another year, or would you rather break in a freshman named Tommie Frazier? Carl was an average coach. I'd rather have someone more talented, then worry about having to break in a new coach. Heck, I'd love to break in a new O-line coach.

If you hire in an experienced position coach for the position coach job and an experienced DC (one with proven excellence elsewhere as a DC) then you need not "break in" a new coach at all --- they simply transition in. Any mature organization that is competitive will tell you that you never hire inexperienced people --- you hire only people who cut their teeth and made their mistakes elsewhere and who have developed over time, with their experience, into a proven high performance person. The hiring of inexperienced people for any position --- especially in management (like any coaching position) --- is reasonable only for organizations that are not competitive enough to compete for experienced, demonstrated excellence. To hire an inexperienced person when you can hire experienced excellence is simply foolish (note: I said experienced people who have shown already a demonstrated excellence --- not experienced people who have demonstrated incompetence like Barney Cotton or Bill Callahan or the like --- experience alone is not enough --- what you look for are experienced people who have demonstrated excellence elsewhere). So....

If any openings do arise at NU, I hope they do not again make the mistake of hiring replacements who are inexperienced. An organization can only make that mistake but a few times before they no longer are competitive and cannot any longer command anything but inexperienced people.

Everyone wants to keep JP here for recruiting purposes and what not, but Stoops is a hell of a recruiter also. I don't think we would skip a beat if JP left and Stoops came in with getting recruits.

Isn't Zook a defensive guy also? Might be a second thought.

Hire good/great coaches now. Worry about them leaving in 2-3 years then.

College football teams are on 2-4 year cycles anyway. Even if we hire an amazing assistant that's gone in 3 years, we still build up the positives that come off success.

I'll take being great for the next few years (and all the benefits in exposure and recruiting that provides), over being consistently good for the next medium term.