Now Regular Season Over - Replacement of O-Line Coach

What is the point of this topic? Barney will not get fired period! Bo will not let him go unless he does something similar to what Marvin Sanders did ( whatever indiscretion that was).

The line will improve going forward based on the following:

1. Garrison and Stai are now in place to help shore up the coaching. This is huge in my opinion.

2. We have recruited a lot of linemen lately. Lots of star talent. Hopefully it translates into winning football games.

3. Beck's offensive philosophy mirrors what Cotton is used to doing. This translates into better communication between the coaches.

4. Cotton and Beck are both in the play booth working together.

5. More emphasis on eliminating false starts and other penalties. Definitely an improvement this year despite Caputo's two 15 yard penalties against Iowa.

We are definetly better on the line than last year. I look to see a 10- 15% improvement in line play next year . Hope it happens.

There will be no changes in the staff this year unless someone was hired off the staff. I dont see bo making any changes this year

really? source??

That's obviously an opinion statement - "I don't see." Why does he need to provide a source for that?

"There will be" ...........that's an opinion statement too?

If you read his entire post, it's quite obvious he spoke his opinion. If you stopped after the first sentence, then obviously you'd want a source.

Why is it that Burkhead is the only back that can get past the O-line? I say it is solely due to his talent. The O-line darn sure isn't opening any holes for anyone else, are they? Who is going to be there to do that when Burkhead is gone? I don't see anyone. Then what will the excuse be? Face it, this O-line is not good. And I think it is a result of bad or no coaching.

Cotton needs to go. This O-line is no better than when Bo came in. It is like we are watching the Callahan era O-line, which was totally dismal.

There is another issue, under Osborne backups would be getting some game experience. That isn't happening either, because we can't get a decent lead on anyone.

This O-line was sad at the beginning of the season when there were no injuries. That is just an excuse. If a guy is that hurt, shouldn't there be someone behind him that has a clue?

There will be no changes in the staff this year unless someone was hired off the staff. I dont see bo making any changes this year

Well this isn't entirely true.

Something will come out this week. And to be frank, it needed to happen.

God I hope that was intended because I laughed my ass off.

:wasted

There is another issue, under Osborne backups would be getting some game experience. That isn't happening either, because we can't get a decent lead on anyone.

This O-line was sad at the beginning of the season when there were no injuries. That is just an excuse. If a guy is that hurt, shouldn't there be someone behind him that has a clue?

Really? Cause when I asked Milt how many linemen he typically played he said most years 7-8 at most. He said they typically played them at the first of the year, found the top 6 and settled in playing them the rest of the year almost the entire game depending on injuries. Guess what Cotton and Garrison did this year?

Why is it that Burkhead is the only back that can get past the O-line? I say it is solely due to his talent. The O-line darn sure isn't opening any holes for anyone else, are they? Who is going to be there to do that when Burkhead is gone? I don't see anyone. Then what will the excuse be? Face it, this O-line is not good. And I think it is a result of bad or no coaching.

Cotton needs to go. This O-line is no better than when Bo came in. It is like we are watching the Callahan era O-line, which was totally dismal.

Rushing stats this year courtesy of Huskers.com

Burkhead: Attempts - 261 Net yards - 1268 Avg. - 4.9

Abdullah: Attempts - 38 Net yards - 151 Avg. - 4.0

Heard: Attempts - 25 Net yards - 114 Avg. - 4.6

Green: Attempts - 24 Net yards - 105 Avg. - 4.4

I agree with your reservations about Cotton, because I have voiced my concerns with him as well. But as far as the stats go, our back ups aren't too far behind Burkhead. Granted, I think if you break those stats down by quarter, most of Greens and Heard's have come in the second half and in the fourth quarter. We have been notorious for playing vanilla late in games, especially with our run schemes, so that might be something as to why hte other backs haven't had consistent big runs.

Really? Cause when I asked Milt how many linemen he typically played he said most years 7-8 at most. He said they typically played them at the first of the year, found the top 6 and settled in playing them the rest of the year almost the entire game depending on injuries. Guess what Cotton and Garrison did this year?

I'm pretty sure I recall correctly that our last NC team (1997) had six Olinemen that made almost all the plays. I can't seem to remember his name but we had "one" super-sub (our 6th Olineman) that played everywhere. That was about it.