Now Regular Season Over - Replacement of O-Line Coach

Rex ran for 160 yards today. I guess he did that DESPITE the oline right?

Yes, you pretty much nailed it. Rex is just that tough and despite showing signs of life the Oline has really only had one great game (MSU). I hated the Cotton hire as soon as he was announced and four years in he hasn't shown us much. I know he'll have three kids playing here next year but he should leave gracefully.

Did you watch today's game? Rex wasn't exactly fighting off tacklers in the backfield....

He wasn't exactly running through gaping holes either. He ground out 160 on a school record 38 carries. Credit where credit is due, the line had a pretty good day-imagine the day/season he could have had if we had a really good O-line. No hate man GBR!

We did have the most inexperienced line in the con and play the toughest sched in the con. Definitely played against better D-lines this year than last. We weren't stellar, still have work to do, but we definitely made progress. Don't forget how we were without our 6th O-lineman Ben Cotton today, there were runs that came up short because Jake Long couldn't make the blocks Ben would've. Hope we have him back for the bowl.

Still wouldn't be surprised if the rumor-mill was correct and Barney heads to admin and we insert Stai.

I think I have been one of the more vocal posters about keeping an eye on Cotton, so I might as well add my lengthy two cents.

In the last four years, we've never had an offensive line that played at a consistently (what I would consider) above-average capability. We've had above average performances, but more often than not they've been average or worse than average over the last four years. Did we improve this year? I think so. I think the line was better this year, overall, than they have been the last two.

But in my not-so-expert opinion, I find it troubling that we need Garrison to help out, and I've also heard that Stai has been helping out too. If that is true, that's two assistants for one position coach. Perhaps this is common, and again I don't know if Stai has been helping or not. Either way, Cotton hasn't had a consistent unit in his time here. Yet in these same four years, we had a consistent defensive line twice.

Cotton has had workable talent, and I have to say that if this unit isn't playing at a consistently above average capability within the next year or so, he shouldn't be the coach. If the talent we've recruited stays, it's a loaded group of guys. There's no reason for them not to excel the next few years. We know what it's like to have dominant lines, and it isn't as easy to build depth in today's game as it was in the past, but we've had way too many unnacceptable performances these last few years even in some games we won. I'm not ready to throw the towel in on Cotton yet, but his offensive line is what I'm focusing hard on the next year or so.

Oline made improvement and is one of the top 3 or 4 lines in the B1G. Good talent on the squad. Recruiting is good. Consistency will be better next year as they will be in year 2 under Beck's offense. Qb is that much more experienced. Cotton & Garrison have had a year to work together so they will be more efficient next year. OL is not the place to mess with, they have other issues that they need to focus their attention on rather than creating more work.

it isn't about talent on the o-line. It is about execution, and that is where coaching comes in. I think our line was very inconsistent. Some plays they were dominant and then turned around and whiffed on blocking assignments. Give some credit to defensive schemes, but overall I think we were out-coached on the lines. I have nothing against Barney and he has been a loyal husker, but we can do better.

I'm on the oust Barney train as much as anyone. I really hope he gets "promoted" to administration like some are saying. Personally, I think the absolute best coaching move we could make in the offseason is to go out and pay write whatever size paycheck is needed to lure the top offensive line coach we can get to NU. It'd be an added bonus if they brought some recruiting ability or connections as well.

You can see what type of effect a good line coach can have on a line in just one season. Look to the NFL... even though the lockout shortened the offseason, my Philadelphia Eagles brought in Howard Mudd to coach the o-line this year. Mudd is a legendary offensive line responsible for Indianapolis's lines during their glory stretch, including the Super Bowl. He just knows how to coach guys up. Though the results haven't shown in the record, I can see TREMENDOUS improvement in Philly's line this year. We actually look like a cohesive unit paving the way on the ground for Shady McCoy, and the pass blocking has been superb this year. Seriously, they have one of the top lines in the NFL now after underachieving year after year.

Sorry to get off on a tangent, but there's a corollary. Imagine if NU could see this type of improvement in only one year. Keep Stai and Garrison, and bring in a real offensive line guru to coach up the boys and mentor the younger two coaches. It would be just what the doctor ordered for this extremely inconsistent but clearly talented and seemingly improving offensive line. It could put us over the top.

That being said, a lot of the problems this year on the line have to do with personnel. We've had a contested left guard spot all year. The coaches seem to prefer ARod for some reason, while the fans love the story behind Choi and seem to favor him as starter. Jake Cotton could've contributed this season, but gets lost in the preseason for the year. We lose both our offensive tackles after this year, which is never good. Marcel finally reached his potential and stayed healthy all year, and Yoshi really surprised me and topped out his potential too. Two great players who will be missed. I've got to figure Tyler Moore will step into one spot, but who mans the other? This is why it will be decided in the offseason... so much competition.

To me, far and away the biggest limitation is the center spot. I appreciate the walk ons as much as anyone, and love Caputo's story and how he's our senior leader. He's the entrenched starter and clearly the guy who was going to be snapping the ball this season. That being said, he's just too dang small. He's forced to chop block on damn near every outside play, since he just can't man up on a guy and take care of his guy. I appreciate his quickness and hustle, but we just need a bigger, more dominant center to take the line to the next level.

Side note: I check Huskers.com roster as I read this, and realize Cole Pensick, next years likely center, is listed at 6-2, 275. An inch taller that Caputo and the same weight. FARK. Eat over the offseason, Cole. :ahhhhhhhh

Also, I forgot to mention... It will be very interesting to see how the infusion of talent from last years heralded recruiting class impacts next year's line.

It would be awesome if Ryne Reeves could snag the starting center spot and be a four year starter. I'd be a kid in a candy store. 6-3 Three hundy. There's the beef. By all accounts, Klachko seems to be a mauler with a bad attitude. Tyler is clearly in position to start.

To me, Givens and Sterup are the two unknown variables.

Rex ran for 160 yards today. I guess he did that DESPITE the oline right?

Yes, you pretty much nailed it. Rex is just that tough and despite showing signs of life the Oline has really only had one great game (MSU). I hated the Cotton hire as soon as he was announced and four years in he hasn't shown us much. I know he'll have three kids playing here next year but he should leave gracefully.

Did you watch today's game? Rex wasn't exactly fighting off tacklers in the backfield....

He wasn't exactly running through gaping holes either. He ground out 160 on a school record 38 carries. Credit where credit is due, the line had a pretty good day-imagine the day/season he could have had if we had a really good O-line. No hate man GBR!

Exactly.

Honestly, I think our run blocking for the year hasn't been nearly as good as last year's Oline but it has cut down on the penalties. We have no depth or pancakers whatsoever and played every almost every walk-on we could get our hands on. We got somewhat decent production even with average to poor OLine play. Even Michigan & Northwestern man-handled us.

However, we "should" start seeing some young & good talent next year and even a little bit of depth. TE Cotton returning as someone mentioned will help as well. We paid the full price for Bo's first couple of years marginal OLine recruiting but should reap rewards soon with his last two year's classes.

As far as Barney, I don't know what to think. The results have been dismal but the numbers sure haven't helped him either. We bring in Garrison & Stai and we're still basically where we were before. Better discipline but worse push. I'm fine with whatever Bo calls for but am inclined to wanting to see what they do with next year's Oline.

GBR!!

There will be no changes in the staff this year unless someone was hired off the staff. I dont see bo making any changes this year

really? source??

That's obviously an opinion statement - "I don't see." Why does he need to provide a source for that?

"There will be" ...........that's an opinion statement too?