Did Bo sound "defeated"

HANC

Just asking opinions.... I am not suggesting anything or trying to start anything...

Bo mentioned ...... paraphrased..... that in Nebraska, many fans measure success with trophies and championships, but in his mind there is more than trophies when it comes to "winning".... he said that he was proud of his guys, and the trophies didn't necessarily mean everything.

He also mentioned that it was a "difficult and long" year....

-- This doesn't sound like the old Bo that we have seen or heard. Typically, he would come out and as blunt as possible and say something to the effect of ... "We didn't win the division or reach our goals, so basically we have a lot to fix"

** in fact, he said that he LIKED where the program is RIGHT NOW !!

(Being a coach, I understand what he means by there is more to winning than just trophies).....BUT, this isn't Bo !!!

Any reaction here ?

I think what Bo was getting 9 wins or more in 4 years. He preaches the process, its not complete, but he likes where the program is at with his process. We could have easily folded and lost several more games in this conference, but we didn't.

I share Bo's reaction, and i like where the team is right now, and what the future holds for the program.

I think what Bo was getting 9 wins or more in 4 years. He preaches the process, its not complete, but he likes where the program is at with his process. We could have easily folded and lost several more games in this conference, but we didn't.

I share Bo's reaction, and i like where the team is right now, and what the future holds for the program.

I agree with you on this assessment....but just wondering "how" everyone else is reading into the statements

- If I said that I "liked" where the program is RIGHT NOW, then I would be a hypocrite... I have called for any coaching changes, but I did say that if we didn't beat Iowa today, that I would begin to question.... I predicted 9-3 and we are....but if I was only 1 game away from questioning, then I am not sure that I am completely "happy" ....... although 9 straight wins coming off of BC is a start

There was a qoute by a player. This is what concerns me. " Hey we won 9 games this season,that is a pretty darn good season!" Is that what Nebraska has come to? I know things have changed on the college landscape. But really you win 9 games and it is a pretty darn good season? Is that the mentallity of the players now? Honestly, players should be looking at themselves in the mirror for next year or get out of the way. 2 self destruction games and I did miss most of the NU VS HUSKER GAME. But I am really nervous the big ten culture of rose bowl will start to set in. NU just beat the huskers that day hands down. Wisconsin we can look at the 5 minute period and the michigan game and only point the finger at ourselves. Granted I should not say "Ourselves" we were drinking beer and cheering,but I think you get the point.

• Fire 1

There was a qoute by a player. This is what concerns me. " Hey we won 9 games this season,that is a pretty darn good season!" Is that what Nebraska has come to? I know things have changed on the college landscape. But really you win 9 games and it is a pretty darn good season? Is that the mentallity of the players now? Honestly, players should be looking at themselves in the mirror for next year or get out of the way. 2 self destruction games and I did miss most of the NU VS HUSKER GAME. But I am really nervous the big ten culture of rose bowl will start to set in. NU just beat the huskers that day hands down. Wisconsin we can look at the 5 minute period and the michigan game and only point the finger at ourselves. Granted I should not say "Ourselves" we were drinking beer and cheering,but I think you get the point.

What don't you understand about "pretty good" ? Pretty good doesn't mean he was satisfied with the season. If you're talking about Cassidy, he said they wanted to win the Big Ten Championship.

I think Bo was just trying to say that it's been a tough year for a variety of reasons, with lots of obstacles, several major setbacks, and he was proud of how his team handled it. He's basically saying that the way that the team came together and fought through all of those things, and how they did it the right way - THAT'S more important than simply winning. And he's right.

That said, they all want to win, too. Somebody asked Fonzie what he thought about how the team has won 9 games for 4 seasons in a row now, and Fonzie said something to the effect of, "I guess it means that the teams after us have to do better."

What don't you understand about "pretty good" ? Pretty good doesn't mean he was satisfied with the season. If you're talking about Cassidy, he said they wanted to win the Big Ten Championship.

the way the qoute sounded and i read. It sounded like he was happy about the season is all. Aganin not listening to the interview just reading qoutes. But this season was not an epic failure,but was not a success either. But hey that is football.

I think he sounded like a guy who just finished a run in which the game was played with an unfair deck in a conference under Beebe's Lusitania leadership last year, and then jumped into this season in which he had to prepare for 12 teams (including the bowl) that we did not face last year, who all feature a different style of play, all while juggling major setbacks in terms of injuries to key, vital players all year long.

I don't know what some of you expected out of this season, but I'd encourage you to incorporate some reason into your rationale. I swear to god, if I wasn't there to see us win today I'd think we lost handily by some of the posts I'm reading on the board.

If we get 10 wins out of this season I'd consider it a rousing success. I want championships, just like any other fan. I just don't expect them to fall into our laps every year because "we're Nebraska." That's not enough. Things need to fall into place just so to rise to the pinnacle of college football, and if you scoff at that then feel free to refer back to Columbia, Missouri 1997.

I think this guy can get us there. Just my 2 Rubles.

• Fire 7

Bo's not happy with 9 wins. He clearly has learned to internalize a lot more of the fight. He hasn't been as openly angry on the sidelines, but you can still sense the fire burning in his belly. He doesn't look like a caged demon after post game press conference, but you can sense a subtle undertone of dissatisfaction with how his plan played out. He is a first time head coach, and I really think he is learning a lot. His teams will keep getting more focused and wise. For example, look how quickly A. Green evolved this season. The future is still bright.

I think Bo was just trying to say that it's been a tough year for a variety of reasons, with lots of obstacles, several major setbacks, and he was proud of how his team handled it. He's basically saying that the way that the team came together and fought through all of those things, and how they did it the right way - THAT'S more important than simply winning. And he's right.

That said, they all want to win, too. Somebody asked Fonzie what he thought about how the team has won 9 games for 4 seasons in a row now, and Fonzie said something to the effect of, "I guess it means that the teams after us have to do better."

:yeah

Just to add, I have to assume that Bo felt that his defene didn't play up to his expectations. We had trouble all year getting pressure on the quarterback without blitzing, and the secondary was not the strength it should have been. Regardless of the reasons, it had to wear on Bo. But I think he's also seen some improvement, and he sees some real bright spots. On offense, the offensive line was generally improved; Martinez seems to have had a "light bulb" moment and stopped making really bone-headed mistakes. Good things to build on next year on offense. On defense, I suspect that Bo's eager to see what some of the younger guys can do with another off-season and additional year in the program.

But in some ways, it was a trying season for all. Some great highs (Ohio State comback, etc.) and some really low lows.

I find it helpful to think "What if he would have said the opposite?" Is Bo supposed to go out at the end of the regular season, with recruiting really heating up, and on Senior Day and say he's really disappointed? Bo has been consistent that championships are his #1 goal. However, that doesn't mean it's the only goal.

My reaction is that's good coach-speak. Obviously disappointed in not getting to our third straight conference championship game but you have to put as good a face on it as possible. This season isn't even over, let alone preparing for the next one and down the road.