Will Compton

Has arrived folks....in the first series he just blew up their pulling guard sending him off his feet and two yards back with both feet in the air...the play ended up being a big gain for Iowa but it set the tone, then later on in that series he just ran over Coker on a run blitz knocking him on his rear ....again setting the tone for the day.

If Whaley can also elevate his game we might have a very nice LB crew next year with the addition of Zaire, Santos, etc.

Go Big Red!!

Has arrived folks....in the first series he just blew up their pulling guard sending him off his feet and two yards back with both feet in the air...the play ended up being a big gain for Iowa but it set the tone, then later on in that series he just ran over Coker on a run blitz knocking him on his rear ....again setting the tone for the day.

If Whaley can also elevate his game we might have a very nice LB crew next year with the addition of Zaire, Santos, etc.

Go Big Red!!

100% right!!!

I have noticed him more and more. Tackling well, in on more plays and filling his role the right way.

There's a quote: the guy who makes the play usually doesn't make the play. On David's sack (I think it was in the 4th qtr) both COmpton and David blitzed. They both blitzed the same gap. Compton's job wasn't to get the QB it was either to hit the first guy he saw or target a specific one....regardless he is to take up space and occupy a man while David comes behind him free to get the QB.

Couldn't agree more with Compton's improvement. He seems more decisive, and quicker to the hole as the year has gone along. A different player than I remember from the Wisconsin game. He will never be quick enough to be more than average in pass coverage, but has his strengths. I also feel that as Compton has improved the entire defense has gotten better at the point of attack.

Great thread because he has improved leaps and bounds to where I feel a little more comfortable with this unit for next season.

Whaley's come alive the last few games. That reinforces the feeling a little bit, right Big Ern?

We would seem to have at least two decent, if not good, linebackers for next season. Not great, but possibly good.

I am not sold on Compton. He (like the rest of our defense) looks great against pocket passers. It is his play against the mobile QBs that has killed us. Watching him, and Merideth, and Fisher, and Moore, and Steinkhuler, get juked out of their jocks on nearly every play, while they dive at the ankles of the ball carrier as he breaks their feeble attempts at arm tackles, got very old this season. I realize they are the best talent we have...unfortunately it was seldom enough. We lost to three mobile QBs, were losing to another until he went out with an injury, and looked bad against the FSU QB (who really didn't look that good against anybody other than us). If we hope to salvage another 10 win season, we better hope we don't face another mobile QB in the bowl game.