Taylor Martinez

CFHusker

Agreed, in one respect - his decision making made a HUGE improvement during the year. Hope it carries over for next year.

However (and I know this has been beaten to death in other threads), something has to be done with his throwing motion. The worst part of it is his leaning back as he releases. The ball lacks zip, and for him to launch it downfield for any distance means it goes up like a bottle rocket. If he could just correct that, so that he's steps into his throws, it would benefit him tremendously.

Changing that will be difficult - he's done it that way all of his career, and sometimes changing a motion (no matter how much it's needed) can have a really negative impact. But usually that's the case when you talk about the arm motion. I think that his footwork and stepping into throws can be fixed - or at least improved.

The offseason is the time to change or tinker with the throwing motion. We'll see what happens.

I think TM has grown so fast compared to when he was trying to run/mange the waston O. I give loads of credit to both TM and Beck. It seem like TM grew so much more in Beck system then Waston. If anything in wastons system it was too much for him to handle when he was hurt. I to would like to see him have better pocket pressence and take off when things break down or have a huge running lane. One of the commontators said most of the plays we run are to the right and not to the left and they say its because he either is still hurt or is afriad to run on that side. TM is going to get better and with another offseason in becks system i can see this becomeing one of the most potent offenses in the countray in the next couple of years.

Blast me if you want, but I wouldn't put him "far" behind Frost..... Yes, Frost won a MNC....BUT, his throwing is NO better than T-Mart and in fact, their motion is almost the same, with the exception of Taylor's footwork... You put T-Mart with the offensive line and backfield that Frost had, and lets see what happens???

Frost was strong and fast......so glad he was a Husker and won't say anything negative regarding him (not the point of post)..... just saying that Green, Wiggins, and Company were a LOT MORE loaded than T-Marts teams.......

Go back and watch the Orange Bowl vs Tennessee and just look at how MANY NFL players Nebraska had....then compare them to this year's team...... Not sure you can count Frost as a "teir" above T-Mart in terms of anything.....especially if you look at the age (fresh-soph) years compared to (senior) year......and the entire team that surrounded each.

I haven't watched it back, but how bad is his ankle is what I want to know.

One of the Iowa papers mentioned it in 4 of 5 online articles

** please help "catch me up to speed"..... what about his ankle... I have read the entire thread and didn't see any ankle issue. Is he hurt?

At half-time, I believe that he had moved ahead of Crouch into the #5 spot in total offense in Husker history, and he has two years left. Barring injury, he should leave as the most prolific offensive player (number - wise) in history.

Thats great but Crouch won the Heisman and the Davey Obrian. Martinez may have some numbers but he hasnt won anything....Sorry but Id rather have Robinson from Michigan as my dual threat qb....

Crouch didn't win any NCs because the rest of the team wasn't NC caliber (though very close in 1999). So I guess he didn't win anything........Sorry, but I'd rather have Tmart as my duel threat qb with both Michigan's lines & special teams.....

Okie State and K State last year. How soon we forget.

Yeah. From fearlessness, pure speed and even throwing motion, that looks like the better, more dangerous QB than this year's version.

But on the upside. Post-injury through the horrible Holiday Bowl loss and this year's Spring Game, I wondered if Taylor Martinez would ever be a legitimate QB again. But he is. His confidence is back and getting better. He doesn't have to carry the entire team on his shoulder's anymore. And we probably won't see stats like last year again, though I remain hopeful.

Next year I'd like to see him further develop his passing and play-action fakes (he really sold one well yesterday).

And then in his Senior season, knowing he will never play a down in the NFL, I'd like to see the coaches cut Taylor loose with the instincts he had as a freshman.

Not exactly on target with this, but just noticed Adrian Peterson will miss his third game with a high ankle sprain. A player that is not involved in every play, a player that most feel is one of the toughest players in the NFL, can not go on a high ankle sprain. Yet Taylor played nearly every play with one and turf toe on the the other foot. That truly was impressive. He gave us a lot last year, and I do not believe he has completely healed from it. I have become a big fan of Taylor's. Not so much for his play, I hate watching him throw the ball as much as anyone, but what he does for Nebraska. He gives all he has and is seldom thought of as that type of player.

I hope he can heal between now and the bowl game.

Here is a correction on the Martinez stat line. I did my own research.

Taylor did not surpass Eric Crouch, because Crouch sits alone at the top by about 2200 yards. Taylor passed Jerry Tagge for 6th all time.

The top 10 are.

1. Eric Crouch - 7,915

2. Zac Taylor - 5,777

3. Tommie Frazier - 5,476

4. Joe Ganz - 5,466

5. Jammal Lord - 5,421

6. TAYLOR MARTINEZ - 5,406

7. Jerry Tagge - 5,283

8. Dave Humm - 5,027

9. Steve Taylor - 4,940

10. Mike Rozier - 4,780

Turner Gill dropped off the list at 4,634

• Fire 1

i think taylor has grown alot as an overall team player/leader and as a person this year, last he seldom celebrated with his teamates after scores and he never seemed to have the whole team behind him imo, and dont forget the bo incident on the sidelines, or his interviews.

this year however it seems like the whole team believes in the kid and he hasnt had made any dumb mistakes that make bo lose it.

Off season, if I were the coach, I would work on pocket presence, making the proper reads and the intangible making something out of nothing ie scrambling. I would also try and teach him how to lower his shoulder and deliver hits rather than receiving them and how to move with a little juke or moves.

His throwing motion, horrific as it is, will not hold us back IMHO. It is more the pocket presence and scrambling. Drob is so hard to contain. Martinez not so much. Wilson is hard to contain. They can all scramble when the pocket collapses and this plays hell trying to stop. Martinez has not done very well when the play breaks down, IMHO. It seems that this year, run first is not his (or the staff's option).

If he can improve in his presence and scrambling, I think we will really see a very hard O to stop. I figure a lot of this year was either by design, trying to install new wrinkles throughout the season and a very young line.

I still think a dedicated QB coach is paramount. We have not had a viable back up in a forget how long. Oc/QB coach (especially going into year 2) is entirely to difficult for a person to handle.

It is sad when Nebraska fans throw him under the bus. Wanting robinson over him and this guy and that guy. He is here. The others either turned us down or were never offered. This kid is here for the love of the the game, I doubt he seriously thinks he is going to the NFL.At the rate he is going he will surpass all by a great amount, and could easily be third after the bowl game. Hopefully he improves more before the bowl game.

We are comparing a Junior with a sophmore, that is on pace to be the best QB (statiscally) Nebraska has ever had. I agree he is not the runner he was last year. I think damage was done that has not healed and the coaching staff is holding him from running because he is the best we have. There may be some tendency to protect himself too. He had two very painful injuries last year, and supposed tougher men, would not play with either of them. Be thankful we have him.

It is sad when Nebraska fans throw him under the bus. Wanting robinson over him and this guy and that guy. He is here. The others either turned us down or were never offered. This kid is here for the love of the the game, I doubt he seriously thinks he is going to the NFL.At the rate he is going he will surpass all by a great amount, and could easily be third after the bowl game. Hopefully he improves more before the bowl game.

We are comparing a Junior with a sophmore, that is on pace to be the best QB (statiscally) Nebraska has ever had. I agree he is not the runner he was last year. I think damage was done that has not healed and the coaching staff is holding him from running because he is the best we have. There may be some tendency to protect himself too. He had two very painful injuries last year, and supposed tougher men, would not play with either of them. Be thankful we have him.

2010 - 965 yards rushing (played in 13 games, sat out ISU game i think)

2011 - 837 yards rushing (played in 12 games, so far)