National Championship Game Rematch

huKSer

Obviously I'm wrong because they are talking about it.

After NU went to the 2001 Rose Bowl championship game I thought there was a rule made that required the teams to be conference winners. So isn't Alabama barred because they aren't going to be the conference winner?

I could be thinking of Herbstreit/May whine fest

I always hear sportswriters talk about the BCS and most of the time they say if you don't win your conference you shouldn't be allowed to play for the NCG. Now is the time for those who defend that position to actually back it up by giving another conference winner a shot. But of course since it's another SEC school they will probably make that the exception. I remember a couple of years back when Ohio St. played Florida and thought Michigan deserved another shot because the only team they lost to was Ohio St(at the time) while Florida lost to a #11 Auburn. I don't mind an LSU Alabama rematch. they deserve it.

national championship should feature the two best teams in the country

#1 and #2 should be decided by who is the best

it should not be decided by being conference champions

it should not be decided by the best records

it should not be decided by a potential game between the two earlier in the season

I hate the BCS, but if the BCS says Alabama is #2, then they should play in the National Championship. Also, I waited until this sentence to form any kind of grammar.

The problem with the conference champion requirement that some people want is that it's based on only part of the season, not all games. Plus some conferences can have co-champions, while those with a championship game only have one.

If Oklahoma wins Bedlam and Clemson beats Va Tech, who's left? It's not Stanford since they can't be the Pac 10 champ. Oregon? Oops, rematch. And what if LSU loses in the SEC championship game? Oklahoma or Georgia vs. Oregon? Are you kidding me?

If only there was some way that we could take a pool of the top teams and have them play each other, with the winner of each game advancing to another game, until eventually you have two teams that have proven they are worthy of being in that final game. It's a bizarre concept I know, but I think I heard about another sport somewhere doing this. Once.

If only there was some way that we could take a pool of the top teams and have them play each other, with the winner of each game advancing to another game, until eventually you have two teams that have proven they are worthy of being in that final game. It's a bizarre concept I know, but I think I heard about another sport somewhere doing this. Once.

What a strange idea....I don't think you're of sound mind sir

I just don't think the realm of athletics is ready for such a radical and unproven concept.

Side note, serious note. If there are any credible sports journalist left, I wish one of them would investigate LSU and Bama's recruiting over the past few years to see what effect oversigning had on their current roster. It would be really interesting to see how many, if any starters made their way on by someone else being shown the door.