Is there a spot on our staff for Turner?

HSKR

This doesnt necassarily pertain to Turner exclusively and it is just an opinion but I personally would like to see an exclusive qb coach. Who knows, maybe that's what Ganz is or is being molded for. He is always with Taylor on the sidelines. (which leads to another point about Carnes-when do you ever see him with Taylor or Ganz on the sidelines trying to learn, Kellog's the one signaling plays, maybe Carnes should try to be more involved?) But even Solich and Osborne, who basically coordinated the offense themselves, had exclusive qb coaches. Now lately it's just been handled by our OC, and I'm just thinking if we had a qb coach to handle things like technique and workouts, the OC could spend more time on scheming x's and o's. Obviously the two would work together in the teaching of the offense but look at guys like Applewhite at Texas prior to this year, and Zach Taylor at AM and Heupal at OU. Now Co OC's but basically just glorified QB coaches with another person Coordinating the offense.

KC Star commentary, er, delirium:

Leach and Zenger also have a longstanding relationship, but if he says no, KU should target former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel, Houston’s Kevin Sumlin, Air Force’s Troy Calhoun, Southern Mississippi’s Larry Fedora, and others good enough to have options.

[/left][/left]

Turner is suffering from the bane of every head coach - an AD (Zenger) that did not hire him

[/left]

Turner is not your average person who would judge his success/worth by title and salary. If he no other gigs and NU, his Alma Mater, TO as AD etc called, it would not surprise me that he would come back as a position coach. After the debacle that was KU, getting immediately back into a program, developing success with it would pay dividends down the road showing KU was an anomaly, not the norm.

As mentioned above, he did ok with some previous NU QB's. :sarcasm

Not sure NU would offer, but I feel, if they did, he would come.

No different than folks saying Stoops could come here as DC to "rebuild his resume".

Regardless, I wish him the best. Would love to see him here, in Beck's O teaching and coaching up the QB's. His vision of building character and developing young men for life would fit right in with Bo's philosophies.

And who knows, if nebraska did come calling. Maybe gill would figure this is a way to get his foot in the door. That would be a way he gets experience and gets back in the school he cares about. In a few years, maybe 10 or so if the NFL comes calling and Bo answers gill has been here he knows the system he is loved by the fans, he has previous HC experience. I dont see a downside to him coming here for either Gill or Nebraska.

ex-head coaches do sometimes come back as assistants. John Blake, Carl Torbush, Ed Orgeron, etc. If Gill wants to stay in coaching it will either be as an assistant or back to a MAC level or lower HC job.

I've always liked and respected Gill but that Buffalo team that won the MAC was the luckiest team ever, IIRC. I'll have to go back and read the game summaries to recall how they won many of their games and see if that perception is correct. Even without the luck, he did a great job turning Buffalo's program around. At Kansas, though, it seems like nobody bought into what he was trying to do. It's probably best for all that they parted ways.

What's a better gig? Assistant at Nebraska, or HC in MAC or Sunbelt, etc. No Im not just talking $$$ wise.

Depends on the team in one of those conferences. I'm pretty sure there have been coaches at major division one programs who have become head coaches at those schools, and I'm sure there are head coaches from those schools who have become assistants at major division one programs.

I'd rather be a Nebraska assistant, but that's just me.

What's a better gig? Assistant at Nebraska, or HC in MAC or Sunbelt, etc. No Im not just talking $$$ wise.

Depends on the team in one of those conferences. I'm pretty sure there have been coaches at major division one programs who have become head coaches at those schools, and I'm sure there are head coaches from those schools who have become assistants at major division one programs.

I'd rather be a Nebraska assistant, but that's just me.

Terry Bowden. Auburn for 5.5 years, 47-17 record...now coaching North Alabama. (it was after taking like 10 years off though)

Sometimes people are just driven to be an HC. I'm sure being an assistant is an entirely different monster. Maybe Gill wants to be in charge?

He's been there for 2 years, they need to chill the f#*k out.

They're Kansas, not some big name program.

If you remember correctly they did go to a BCS bowl game more recently than we have..

But yes, I think we can find somewhere to put him but I think he will be a head coach somwehre else.

I'm somewhat surprised they fired Gill, kinda. My cousin is supposedly a KU insider. He told me half way through the season that KU wanted to fire Gill, but they couldn't afford it. Now, they owe Gill 6 million and have to pony up money to find another HC. Gill was making around 2 million/season, so I would anticipate the next HC would get as much if not more than Gill. I read somewhere that Jim Leavitt's name was up for consideration at KU. Does anyone believe in kharma? KU already fired a coach for doing what Leavitt was fired for. Gill probably should have gotten another year or two, but does anyone honestly believe a year or two from now that they're record would be much better? My guess is Gill will go back to a much smaller school like that of Buffalo and end his coaching career there. He struck the big payday. He just doesn't have what it takes for a major program.

I'm somewhat surprised they fired Gill, kinda. My cousin is supposedly a KU insider. He told me half way through the season that KU wanted to fire Gill, but they couldn't afford it. Now, they owe Gill 6 million and have to pony up money to find another HC. Gill was making around 2 million/season, so I would anticipate the next HC would get as much if not more than Gill. I read somewhere that Jim Leavitt's name was up for consideration at KU. Does anyone believe in kharma? KU already fired a coach for doing what Leavitt was fired for. Gill probably should have gotten another year or two, but does anyone honestly believe a year or two from now that they're record would be much better? My guess is Gill will go back to a much smaller school like that of Buffalo and end his coaching career there. He struck the big payday. He just doesn't have what it takes for a major program.

ReWatched "Blindside" over the weekend. It was sad/funny how many coaches are coaching some other place than when they were recruiting Michael Ochs.

Saban was coaching LSU :rollin (Probable opponent to his Laundry soaps in the MNC).