Rumblings of Player Transfer

Landlord

I know this is cut throat. But hey Nebraska only has 13 schollies open. Wouldn't it be nice to have ten transfer? Sorry Cant have nice program and program that contends for national titles. I will take being in the national title hunt year in year out over " He was a nice kid and did all the right things." Cut throat I know,but facts is all.

I disagree, you can blame Carnes if it happens. This is an instant gratification society we live in. No longer is anyone willing to work harder to earn a job or get better. They all expect it to be given to them. You see it at all levels, kids transfer schools in high school because the grass is greener somewhere else. Happens all the time. Sorry but these are future leaders of our world and if they don't get what they want right away they either quit or they go somewhere else rather than sucking it up and doing what it takes to get better. No loyalty what-so-ever, it's all about "me".

You know who teaches them that, right? It is the parents of those kids. Which means its people in their late 30s to early 50's

I am right with you techercd.....great point..... assuming from the sig that you teach ..... so do I , and it is amazing how TRUE your statement is...parents who refuse to hold their kids accountable

Thanks and I do teach/coach. If you do then you know where this stuff REALLY comes from. I always laugh a bit when stuff like this is blamed on the "young kids of today"

While I agree that at some point kids/parents have to come to the realization that perhaps "Johnnie" wasn't destined to be a starter as a freshman, coaches still need to communicate with players as much as possible on what they need to improve on to gain traction toward playing time. I doubt many kids show up at Division 1 with the idea of floating through 4 years of school for the free education. Many may not have the work ethic to succeed without guidance however. I would hope coaches can be genuine enough to tell a player they have doubts that he will ever see the field. Unlike most SEC schools we choose not to pull their scholarships. I see no reason an unhappy player should stay with a team where he has lost faith in the coaches or school. Joe Ganz is to be commended for sticking it out and for him it was a storybook ending. There are other kids (who will never see the field here) who could be starting for smaller programs in Div 1 or Div 2 or an NAIA school.

While I agree that at some point kids/parents have to come to the realization that perhaps "Johnnie" wasn't destined to be a starter as a freshman, coaches still need to communicate with players as much as possible on what they need to improve on to gain traction toward playing time. I doubt many kids show up at Division 1 with the idea of floating through 4 years of school for the free education. Many may not have the work ethic to succeed without guidance however. I would hope coaches can be genuine enough to tell a player they have doubts that he will ever see the field. Unlike most SEC schools we choose not to pull their scholarships. I see no reason an unhappy player should stay with a team where he has lost faith in the coaches or school. Joe Ganz is to be commended for sticking it out and for him it was a storybook ending. There are other kids (who will never see the field here) who could be starting for smaller programs in Div 1 or Div 2 or an NAIA school.

And yes... I agree with your comments on communication.....hopefully the coaches are talking to the kids and being honest... I am sure that before a guy leaves, the coaches have probably visited about his situation.... in some cases, the coach may be brutally honest, thus making these type of decisions easier.

I don't blame Cody Green for transferring at all. He's got a right to be pissed off; the staff constantly put him in situations to fail.

As for Brion Carnes, it's on him if he decides to leave. I don't care who's in his ear telling him to transfer, it's ultimately his decision.

A lot of this stuff is hearsay and it's sad to see some Husker fans bashing Cody Green, who just a year ago was a model citizen and what many called a "True Husker."

I know this is cut throat. But hey Nebraska only has 13 schollies open. Wouldn't it be nice to have ten transfer? Sorry Cant have nice program and program that contends for national titles. I will take being in the national title hunt year in year out over " He was a nice kid and did all the right things." Cut throat I know,but facts is all.

Well we could always go SEC style start oversigning...obviously seems to be a championship strategy (sarcasm, will burn my Husker stuff if it happens here).

I disagree, you can blame Carnes if it happens. This is an instant gratification society we live in. No longer is anyone willing to work harder to earn a job or get better. They all expect it to be given to them. You see it at all levels, kids transfer schools in high school because the grass is greener somewhere else. Happens all the time. Sorry but these are future leaders of our world and if they don't get what they want right away they either quit or they go somewhere else rather than sucking it up and doing what it takes to get better. No loyalty what-so-ever, it's all about "me".

Yikes. "Things are different than they used to be! Young people use curse words!"

If Brion Carnes has a better opportunity elsewhere he should jump on it. I'm not sure how you would want to argue otherwise.

But is Bo playing the better athletes rather than the people who are less talented but know the system more? You can't replace athletic ability.

Yes you can replace athletic ability to a certain extent. You can be the best athlete in the world but if you can't remember who to give the ball too, or which way to turn, etc. you're useless. The best player is one that is athletic AND smart. The best athlete works most of the time in high school, but sorry, at the D1 college level, they have to be able to learn assignments too because the guys on the other side are equally as talented, unlike many times in high school.

Yikes. "Things are different than they used to be! Young people use curse words!"

If Brion Carnes has a better opportunity elsewhere he should jump on it. I'm not sure how you would want to argue otherwise.

Don't give me that crap. I'm not that old, and in fact am still a coach, no, not at peewee level. I see it on a daily basis. A lot of young kids don't have the work ethic anymore, and even though they may play football or other sports, if things don't go their way quick, they quit or transfer to another school. Not much loyalty or willingness to earn that spot instead of have it handed to you. If you don't see it, you don't work with it on a daily basis like I do or you're blind.

I have nothing but good things to say about Brion Carnes. Selfishly, I want him to stay and remain a Husker. But he could transfer and start elsewhere - and you can't blame him. The kid has legit skills. If he could move on and move up, I don't blame him.

But I love the guy. Would kill to have him stay in Lincoln.

Like Cody Green, I'll remain a fan after he moves on, if it happens.

But Brion. Seriously. Stay. If you're not going somewhere guaranteed to start, you'll be making a mistake. There is no place like Nebraska.

I don't blame Cody Green for transferring at all. He's got a right to be pissed off; the staff constantly put him in situations to fail.

As for Brion Carnes, it's on him if he decides to leave. I don't care who's in his ear telling him to transfer, it's ultimately his decision.

A lot of this stuff is hearsay and it's sad to see some Husker fans bashing Cody Green, who just a year ago was a model citizen and what many called a "True Husker."

And the people who said that had nothing to base that on except what they saw through the media. Behind closed doors can be a different story.

• Fire 1

You know who teaches them that, right? It is the parents of those kids. Which means its people in their late 30s to early 50's

I am right with you techercd.....great point..... assuming from the sig that you teach ..... so do I , and it is amazing how TRUE your statement is...parents who refuse to hold their kids accountable

I teach and coach as well, two sports, and I agree as well. It does start at the parents.

Don't give me that crap. I'm not that old, and in fact am still a coach, no, not at peewee level. I see it on a daily basis. A lot of young kids don't have the work ethic anymore, and even though they may play football or other sports, if things don't go their way quick, they quit or transfer to another school. Not much loyalty or willingness to earn that spot instead of have it handed to you. If you don't see it, you don't work with it on a daily basis like I do or you're blind.

Every. Single. Generation. complains about "kids these days"

Anyway, I'm hoping Carnes isn't looking to transfer, but I can understand if he's a little peeved that he didn't even get any garbage time reps.

• Fire 2

Thanks and I do teach/coach. If you do then you know where this stuff REALLY comes from. I always laugh a bit when stuff like this is blamed on the "young kids of today"

I teach and coach as well and while I agree with you that it comes from parents I also hold the kids accountable too. Why? Because if you're like me, you try to teach these kids what their parents haven't and when they don't learn it or follow the advice, well, then that's on them. Time after time I've sat kids in my office advising them to not do something they are currently doing or to start doing something they are NOT currently doing. Things like drugs, alcohol, risky behaviors with girls, etc. Some choose to listen and make the changes, others end up back in my office after they've got in trouble or graduated and guess what I hear? Coach, I sure wish I'd have listened to you. That's on them.