Rumblings of Player Transfer

Landlord

Lo, how many games do you think we could have legitimately put in our backups in the last four years? Specifically, which position and which game(s) should "the backup" have played?

It's all well and good to rant that we're not playing the backups. Personally, I think Carnes should have seen time in the fourth quarter against Iowa last Friday, but even then, all it took was one pick-six and it's a one-possession game.

To get the backups reps, you're going to have to find games where we were comfortably ahead, not still learning a new offense/defense, and/or had a starter with enough experience that you could unequivocally say that he knows what he needs to know, and can watch the rest of the game.

I can't think of more than two or three games, and none in the past two years, that fit this criteria. Can you? What about the rest of the Bo Pelini era?

Sadly, unless you count the blow out losses, not much. Kind of like our Sunbelt tour two yrs ago. This would have been a great time to get someone reps. This years OOC schedule was pretty tough. Hard to throw guys in when we are struggling. I just think that Bo needs to do more to develop depth. A prime example is Center. Who has experience at that position? Pensick (sp?) When is the last time he even took a snap? Caputo was on one leg last year and we had no one who could come in. Martinez on half a leg last year and no one to come in.

I also look at the failed Cody Green experiment. Putting him in with his back foot on our own goal line not the best time to try and get some depth. It ruined Beau Davis against TT. Maybe it is a recruiting issue. We need to get guys who in a spring and fall can grasp the complexities of the O and D to at least make them serviceable. Using Carnes as an example, I think he was perfectly suited to come in against UM and hand off left, hand off right, toss sweep left etc.....

Again using the example of this season, who did we have at RB with experience besides Rex? WR besides Kinnie? Center, QB, Punter, kicker etc..... It seems we have the inability or reluctance to develop a plan to get guys meaningful reps. I am not at practice so I won't assume how it works, but it is obvious practice does not translate into playing time per say. Frustrating to see god starters and then have no idea who would come in if they went down. We started a true Fresh on O liine because of the lack of depth/development. Other schools can start true fresh and have success. Why is it an issue at NU?

Martinez played injured last year because he was the best option. Green had a concussion, and Lee still had arm/throwing issues. Before that, Green played quite a bit over the previous 18 months, he just didn't have it.

As for the UM game, it was a 2 score game with 11 minutes left. Bringing in your backup signifies you're quitting.

Nobody disagrees that we need to get the backups some more time. But in order to do that, you need to get a comfy lead in order to provide a cushion for mistakes. We haven't done that very often, and IMO, that's the biggest issue with Pelini teams. We lack killer instinct.

I think Cody might've been unavailable for one week, but past that I'm not sure at all. I think he could have gone in later, for example, in the final two games, but it was a judgment call that he didn't.

Cody finished the ISU game with concussion symptoms, and missed KU. He played a bit against aTm, and started against CU. I heard he got dinged in that game too, but never found out what it was.

I think Cody might've been unavailable for one week, but past that I'm not sure at all. I think he could have gone in later, for example, in the final two games, but it was a judgment call that he didn't.

Concussions are a touchy thing. Personally I think we don't shut guys down long enough after concussions.

If Carnes wants to leave I'd support him. Never got a REAL chance at starting and will sit behind Martinez for 2 more years. Kids sometimes are "team" players, sometimes they know they don't have the skills so they stay behind that player, and others want to leave to get on the field. Is what it is.

If Carnes wants to leave I'd support him. Never got a REAL chance at starting and will sit behind Martinez for 2 more years. Kids sometimes are "team" players, sometimes they know they don't have the skills so they stay behind that player, and others want to leave to get on the field. Is what it is.

The bold is silly. First, he's only had the opportunity to start one year, and he is NOT ready. At all. Second, we happen to have an incumbent starter who's, at times, gotten Heisman hype. He's not chopped liver and he accounted for 60% of our total offense this year. Saying Carnes didn't get a "real chance at starting" in the face of those numbers is just silly.

I really think the biggest issue is that we're never ahead enough in games to get these guys reps. It used to be that we'd steamroll our non-con opponents so badly that the starters barely played in the second half, and we'd get series after series of second-, third- and even fourth-string guys.

We need to get this offense in HIGH gear during Spring ball and summer workouts, and get these guys in a position where we can sit Rex and Taylor and get the backups some real in-game reps - and not just Carnes handing the ball off to Green or Heard, which is all he did in (I think?) the Wyoming game.

I totally agree, but even in the few games that were won before the 4th quarter our reserves never got much playing time. Carnes stands out the most because there is no depth behind Martinez. This is one of my biggest pet peeves on the coaching staff. Also, it really hurts us moving forward because so many future players have so little playing time that we suffer half way through the season before the lights come on.

Lo, how many games do you think we could have legitimately put in our backups in the last four years? Specifically, which position and which game(s) should "the backup" have played?

It's all well and good to rant that we're not playing the backups. Personally, I think Carnes should have seen time in the fourth quarter against Iowa last Friday, but even then, all it took was one pick-six and it's a one-possession game.

To get the backups reps, you're going to have to find games where we were comfortably ahead, not still learning a new offense/defense, and/or had a starter with enough experience that you could unequivocally say that he knows what he needs to know, and can watch the rest of the game.

I can't think of more than two or three games, and none in the past two years, that fit this criteria. Can you? What about the rest of the Bo Pelini era?

Sadly, unless you count the blow out losses, not much. Kind of like our Sunbelt tour two yrs ago. This would have been a great time to get someone reps. This years OOC schedule was pretty tough. Hard to throw guys in when we are struggling. I just think that Bo needs to do more to develop depth. A prime example is Center. Who has experience at that position? Pensick (sp?) When is the last time he even took a snap? Caputo was on one leg last year and we had no one who could come in. Martinez on half a leg last year and no one to come in.

I also look at the failed Cody Green experiment. Putting him in with his back foot on our own goal line not the best time to try and get some depth. It ruined Beau Davis against TT. Maybe it is a recruiting issue. We need to get guys who in a spring and fall can grasp the complexities of the O and D to at least make them serviceable. Using Carnes as an example, I think he was perfectly suited to come in against UM and hand off left, hand off right, toss sweep left etc.....

Again using the example of this season, who did we have at RB with experience besides Rex? WR besides Kinnie? Center, QB, Punter, kicker etc..... It seems we have the inability or reluctance to develop a plan to get guys meaningful reps. I am not at practice so I won't assume how it works, but it is obvious practice does not translate into playing time per say. Frustrating to see god starters and then have no idea who would come in if they went down. We started a true Fresh on O liine because of the lack of depth/development. Other schools can start true fresh and have success. Why is it an issue at NU?

The bolded part always bothers me too. Is our system THAT hard to learn. Isn't that why we got rid of Watson? And why can't we have a subset of the playbook that freshmen can utilize, instead of not seeing the field until they know the entire playbook. We're keeping our playmakers off the field, and it ticks me off. Also, Bo's stupid doghouse. Its like Hotel California in there. Apparently its easy to get in to, but you can never leave. How many playmakers are getting lost in the doghouse?

Take out the talent issues (is Carnes good, is he not) and the fact remains for whatever reason, Bo has issues playing anyone besides the starters. Has any second

string player really seen significant playing time in the time Bo has been here (other than injury) ? There has been some switching to try and find chemistry, but no consistent developing or playing time for those further down the depth chart. It has been a staple with Bo as a coach.

Uh..... what? I think you need to go look at the participation list.

Participation over healthy guys? The only reason some got in on the O line and the D line was injuries pure and simple. Bo didn't play any of them to develop them. Cooper and SJB to corner. Was this for development or lack of experience or trying to "find" the right guys? The subs were not in there to develop depth and get experience. Game 6 until we had a set secondary. Game 6. The guys running in and out were trying to get starting time, not a plan by Bo to get depth and experience.

Look at last year (year 3) and see what we had returning this year at the skill positions. No RB besides Rex, QB Martinez, only Kinnie with a catch, Cam at DE, Dennard at CB, no one at PK, return or punter.

This year more of the same. No one coming in to get reps unless the starter is injured. The O line rotated at Udub and really never again. I like Bo, but to say this staff is developing depth and experience is crazy IMO.

:facepalm:

http://huskermax.com/stats/

I would rather eat asbestos cake with cyanide icing than get any sports information from that tool.

Take out the talent issues (is Carnes good, is he not) and the fact remains for whatever reason, Bo has issues playing anyone besides the starters. Has any second

string player really seen significant playing time in the time Bo has been here (other than injury) ? There has been some switching to try and find chemistry, but no consistent developing or playing time for those further down the depth chart. It has been a staple with Bo as a coach.

Uh..... what? I think you need to go look at the participation list.

Participation over healthy guys? The only reason some got in on the O line and the D line was injuries pure and simple. Bo didn't play any of them to develop them. Cooper and SJB to corner. Was this for development or lack of experience or trying to "find" the right guys? The subs were not in there to develop depth and get experience. Game 6 until we had a set secondary. Game 6. The guys running in and out were trying to get starting time, not a plan by Bo to get depth and experience.

Look at last year (year 3) and see what we had returning this year at the skill positions. No RB besides Rex, QB Martinez, only Kinnie with a catch, Cam at DE, Dennard at CB, no one at PK, return or punter.

This year more of the same. No one coming in to get reps unless the starter is injured. The O line rotated at Udub and really never again. I like Bo, but to say this staff is developing depth and experience is crazy IMO.

:facepalm:

http://huskermax.com/stats/

I would rather eat asbestos cake with cyanide icing than get any sports information from that tool.

So you're cool with letting people steal from you? Got it.

What's your address?

Couldn't agree more, that's my biggest gripe with the Pelini era, we're perfectly content to take the "air out of the ball" and go ultra conservative when we get up by 2 touchdowns. The Iowa game infuriated me, we get up 20-0 and all of a sudden it's hand-off up the middle 3 times and punt. Ridiculous. It's like going into 4 corners in basketball with 6 minutes to go, you end up losing a lot of the time because you lose your momentum and it's hard to get it back. I long for the days of beating people by 6 or 7 touchdowns because it was usually the 2nd and 3rd teams piling on the points at the end.

Well, those days you long for were when we had an Oline that moved the sticks when we handed-off up the middle 3 times. We've got a long, long ways to go before we're back to that.

It also doesn't help that most of our electric players can't block "anybody" (Bell, Turner, Reed, etc). Beck didn't exactly have a stacked deck to work with this year.

Total horsesh*t. Better re-subscribe to the National Inquirer.

I really think the biggest issue is that we're never ahead enough in games to get these guys reps. It used to be that we'd steamroll our non-con opponents so badly that the starters barely played in the second half, and we'd get series after series of second-, third- and even fourth-string guys.

We need to get this offense in HIGH gear during Spring ball and summer workouts, and get these guys in a position where we can sit Rex and Taylor and get the backups some real in-game reps - and not just Carnes handing the ball off to Green or Heard, which is all he did in (I think?) the Wyoming game.

Knapp stop posting... every time I come in to say something you have already said it.

Back to lurking I suppose...

I totally agree with Knapps statement. And as I have said before about the running backs, When has anyone other than Rex shown the ability to run between the tackles.