Ohio State officially interviewed Pelini for job

Nexus

I am slightly troubled that Bo Pelini never seems to be enjoying himself.

Even after wins he likes to keep that chip on his shoulder.

Some other coaches that never seemed to be enjoying themselves;

Tom Osborne, Paul "Bear" Bryant, Woody Hayes, Bo Shembeckler, pretty much anybody from Youngstown OH, ...... I'm not putting Bo in that stratosphere but, come on, do we really need to invent stuff for the aura of doom & gloom?

Amazing how "experts" float inside information based on second hand heresay. I know for a fact Ohio State interviewed nobody for the job, not even an official interview with Urban Meyer. He was hired thru back channels involving boosters and certain ex players turned announcers. Pelini or a minority candidate were never interviewed.

Kinda like you're doing? People have sources and they trust them the same way you do.

There's an article here from Novemeber 23 that lays-out more detail of the supposed discussions. This information was not repeated anywhere else, and the "verbal sparring" between Oz and OSU admins sounds like embellishment.

In fact, according to a trusted source, Smith was still exploring the option of hiring Nebraska coach and former Buckeye safety Bo Pelini and as recently as late last week was putting out feelers to other conference administrators asking if they would approve of Ohio State going after a current conference head coach. The source said that information got back to Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne and when Pelini admitted he was contacted by OSU and expressing interest in the job, the two went at it verbally.

Still, the Pelini experiment was short-lived and not well-received by the OSU board of trustees, who continued to placate Meyer and his agent, Trace Armstrong, a former NFL defensive lineman.

Not all accurate. Pelini has to ask TO for permission to interview for other head coaching jobs.

Bo didn't talk to Oz about the Miami job discussions last year. TO was caught completely by surprise and stated that he had no knowledge of it. Later, they were characterized as informal talks between Bo and an old associate (who happened to be the Miami AD.) But multiple news outlets insisted they were told by Miami admins off-the-record that Bo interviewed for the job down there.

Its my understanding TO was aware of conversations last spring when OSU reached out. I don't know about the stuff in November. I'll be interested to learn if the talked with Bo about it then or if they were just trying to find if their was any interest now, or what.

The Miami talks were more of an AD picking Bo's brain about who he thought would be good fit. What type of coach they needed there, the facilities, who he thought would be interested, the type of vision the person needed to have etc. and from all of that it turned into an offer from a friend. Kind of like when someone calls looking for a new employee for a managers position and by the time you're done giving names and talking about qualities it turns into an offer from you because you seemed to know what the hell you were talking about when it came to running a department.

If Bo doesn't like the media spot light in Nebraska it won't be different at any of the other major players like OSU, MU, Bama, ATM, etc. Except perhaps that they'll also give him props for doing well and not make it seem like a 9-3 season was a failure and act as though the program is KU. I find it funny the writers here think Turner got the shaft with only 5 wins in 2 years and at least a dozen blow outs but we go 9-3 and we're not really very good because according to one writer off record "we played poor in a few of those wins so really we're 6-6 but we got lucky".

I did talk to one of the players parents when I was at the MU game. The did remark that the didn't think the media would be as ruthless about the athletes and coaches when they sent their kids here to play. They knew the state was crazy about football but they thought the state supported the program along with the media. They feel the media is really out to get the players and the university. One parent said they were sure if they would have sent their son here if they knew it would be this bad.

Meyer has five years, tops, to play for a Nat Champ, or he is gone.

Complete BS. No sane AD would even consider firing Meyer as coveted as he is as a coach instead they should worry when he leaves after 5 years or so.

Wait until it comes out that the basis of Bo's and TO's fight (the feeler contact with B10 AD's to see if its ok to hire another B10 coach) is dismissed by athletic departments saying that question was never asked to them.

What was the basis of their fight then? ...Im really asking because i believe out of anybody you would know.

There wasn't a fight between the two. This guy said Bo and TO fought because TO had found out Bo was talking to OSU when they contacted other Big 10 athletic departments to see how they would feel if they hired a current Big10 coach. Smith has now come out and stated they only spoke with Urban. So......he had his facts distorted.

Smith also said there was a committee that talked to potentials... Bo said he never spoke to Smith... I am sure this is true.. Although, I am equally sure the committee contacted someone in Bo's camp about the possibility of going to tOSU, and once Meyer gave a thumbs up, that was it, Smith talked to Meyer, and all are protected, until some clown lets it out of the bag.... Also it has been said today, you dont interview for a job like this... Everyone knows what you are capable of, you either want it or you dont, once the short list is filled the top guy is called....

These conjecture/rumor threads are the worst. Let's get all hopped up on partial/incomplete/made up/ some to no truth rumors and then run amuck with it. I could give a flyin F if Bo interviewed for the Ohio State job or not. Actually, I would be quite amazed if they did not consider/offer him. Seems like it would only be proper and dignified to at least raise the issue with him if you were OSU. And it would only be proper for him to respond to such an offer. WTF- he was a captain for that team and he is now a big time college coach. If this freaks anybody out, you are easily unsettled.

• Fire 1

Complete BS. No sane AD would even consider firing Meyer as coveted as he is as a coach instead they should worry when he leaves after 5 years or so.

Name the last head football coach who left Ohio State at a time of his own choosing.

IIRC that would be your new coach... Also I stand by what I said... Five years to do it, honestly I think he will, maybe even sooner....

• Fire 1

Maybe he's telling the truth, he didn't interview for THE job. Maybe he interviewed for the DC job... if he's as unhappy here as many think he is, and OSU being his alma mater.... Someone on another board said a private jet left from Omaha, flew to Lincoln, then flew to tOSU on Wednesday last week. I don't know how to track those things, but someone else apparently does...

Maybe he's telling the truth, he didn't interview for THE job. Maybe he interviewed for the DC job... if he's as unhappy here as many think he is, and OSU being his alma mater.... Someone on another board said a private jet left from Omaha, flew to Lincoln, then flew to tOSU on Wednesday last week. I don't know how to track those things, but someone else apparently does...

Or someone else is lying.

I don't think Bo interviewed for the job. That doesn't mean it wasn't brought up or OSU didn't contact him or Tom.

The university does charter aircraft from Omaha, but I looked and the only flight from Lincoln to OSU airport in the last week was a small private plane originating in Milford.

Wait until it comes out that the basis of Bo's and TO's fight (the feeler contact with B10 AD's to see if its ok to hire another B10 coach) is dismissed by athletic departments saying that question was never asked to them.

What was the basis of their fight then? ...Im really asking because i believe out of anybody you would know.

There wasn't a fight between the two. This guy said Bo and TO fought because TO had found out Bo was talking to OSU when they contacted other Big 10 athletic departments to see how they would feel if they hired a current Big10 coach. Smith has now come out and stated they only spoke with Urban. So......he had his facts distorted.

da skers, let me know if I'm getting this wrong. You are saying Urban is the only coach that OSU spoke with before hiring him? Thanks!