Ohio State officially interviewed Pelini for job

Nexus

Wasn't Kelly only at OSU for like two years before he became HC?

IF (and it's a big IF) we need to replace Bo, I hope we don't roll the dice on another "coordinator thrust into a head coaching job at a major program" experiment. Those fail more often then not...Stoops was the exception not the rule.

Oklahoma St. - Mike Gundy

Stanford - David Shaw

Houston - Kevin Sumlin

Boise St. - Chris Peterson

Oregon - Chip Kelly

Oklahoma - Bob Stoops

That's six out of the current BCS Top 10 who were promoted from coordinators without being head coaches. Yes, you can probably put an asterisk next to Shaw and Sumlin but it doesn't seem to be all that uncommon.

Peterson, Gundy, and Kelly were also all groomed for years at their schools, before taking over.

Wait until it comes out that the basis of Bo's and TO's fight (the feeler contact with B10 AD's to see if its ok to hire another B10 coach) is dismissed by athletic departments saying that question was never asked to them.

What was the basis of their fight then? ...Im really asking because i believe out of anybody you would know.

There wasn't a fight between the two. This guy said Bo and TO fought because TO had found out Bo was talking to OSU when they contacted other Big 10 athletic departments to see how they would feel if they hired a current Big10 coach. Smith has now come out and stated they only spoke with Urban. So......he had his facts distorted.

I guess it was just rumor as well, but i was trying to tie together the rumor from a few days ago that BO and TO were not on good terms. I was assuming that the rumors were related, and if it wasnt about the OSU job, wonder what it was really about? Or if its even true?

There's an article here from Novemeber 23 that lays-out more detail of the supposed discussions. This information was not repeated anywhere else, and the "verbal sparring" between Oz and OSU admins sounds like embellishment.

In fact, according to a trusted source, Smith was still exploring the option of hiring Nebraska coach and former Buckeye safety Bo Pelini and as recently as late last week was putting out feelers to other conference administrators asking if they would approve of Ohio State going after a current conference head coach. The source said that information got back to Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne and when Pelini admitted he was contacted by OSU and expressing interest in the job, the two went at it verbally.

Still, the Pelini experiment was short-lived and not well-received by the OSU board of trustees, who continued to placate Meyer and his agent, Trace Armstrong, a former NFL defensive lineman.

Not all accurate. Pelini has to ask TO for permission to interview for other head coaching jobs.

It took 28 postings before someone called it. Read the article. everything in it can be found on the net if you look. To me it appears as though he strung together several stories and called them his. Ohio State is in enough trouble, that they would not risk anymore by contacting Bo BEFORE Tom.

Wasn't Kelly only at OSU for like two years before he became HC?

IF (and it's a big IF) we need to replace Bo, I hope we don't roll the dice on another "coordinator thrust into a head coaching job at a major program" experiment. Those fail more often then not...Stoops was the exception not the rule.

Oklahoma St. - Mike Gundy

Stanford - David Shaw

Houston - Kevin Sumlin

Boise St. - Chris Peterson

Oregon - Chip Kelly

Oklahoma - Bob Stoops

That's six out of the current BCS Top 10 who were promoted from coordinators without being head coaches. Yes, you can probably put an asterisk next to Shaw and Sumlin but it doesn't seem to be all that uncommon.

Peterson, Gundy, and Kelly were also all groomed for years at their schools, before taking over.

True, I thought he was there longer. That said, He was an extremely successfull OC in 1-AA, and was brought to Oregon by Bellotti to be his OC, and to be groomed to take over.

So it is a good thing I got Toms voicemail then? Whew,was not sure how I was going to get to the bottom of this one. "Hey Tom, thank you for your support and a national article will be coming out about a kid growing up in Lincoln, Nebraska and a operation that was covered up." " Also by the way did Pelini and you have a fist fight today?" Was not sure how I was going to get to the bottom of this one.

It's mildly disturbing that I am only 98% certain you are joking.

:o

Kelly was at Oregon for two years before being named head coach. Before that he was the offensive coordinator at New Hampshire.

Gundy was the OC at OK St. for four years before being named head coach. Before that, he was at Maryland.

Petersen was the OC at Boise St. for five years before being named head coach. Before that, he was at Oregon.

Pelini was a DC for five years before being named head coach. He worked for Bob Stoops when they won the Big XII and played for the national title. He worked for Les Miles, winning an SEC title and a National Title. Before coming to Nebraska for the first time he worked in the NFL, winning a Super Bowl while on the 49ers staff, and also worked for Pete Carroll. Probably didn't learn anything from all those coaches.

True, I thought he was there longer. That said, He was an extremely successfull OC in 1-AA, and was brought to Oregon by Bellotti to be his OC, and to be groomed to take over.

So we would look for an experienced BCS conference coach or someone who was successful as an OC in 1-AA. At least we have that figured out.

I do not think he learned what was needed to be a head coach at any of those prior jobs. A OC or DC really does not have the responsibility of the HC unless the HC is leaving and the DC/OC is scheduled for take over. I think what you mentioned with Kelly, Petterson and Gundy all remaining at the same university is a big differenece.

Actually a head coach in these days is more of a manager, CEO type individual than past head coaches. He has to manage everything, everyone and win on top of that. Bo was not prepared, and in honesty still is not a good head coach. Being totally fair to Bo, it is not his fault things have gone the way they have. A lot to learn and no time to learn it and do a good job of coaching the team. If Tom was not here, I honestly feel he would have failed very quickly, and I think anyone in that same position would to.

I still do not believe Bo has been offered any jobs. I do not believe the Miami deal other than a ploy to get back at the university president and to get a little extra pay. I am not impressed with that, but it is in the past.

I agree, if Bo is given the time he will learn to do the job, but On the job training at this level is tough.

I really could care less about CCG or NCG, I just want a team that is ready to play every single game, beat who we are supposed to and play the better ones tough. I think he is going to get there.

As much as we want to think he is a hot prospect he is not, he is at a past dynasty, trying to get back to being relivant. He has not won anything of importance, and none of the top programs would take him away is my guess. That is not down on Bo. It is facts that the Trustees look at when spending the type of money they pay college football coaches.

Except for Urban Meyer, Mike Leach and maybe a couple others, if you're searching for a head coach for a major D-1 program, you're probably getting someone who already has a job. Ohio St. probably didn't have any choice but to try to contact a few people to see if there is any interest.

With that, it wouldn't surprise me if they talked. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Pelini would be interested or would take it if offered. On some level, you'd have to think he'd at least consider it. But I'm not yet convinced that he was actively looking to leave.

This guy just lost a ton of credibility. He never said that Bo's AGENT interviewed with Ohio State. He said that BO did. He could get into some serious legal trouble if he doesn't watch out.

Ha ha! The Internet police are probably knocking down his door right this minute.

Not the internet police the regular police. People get sued everyday in the media industry for libel and slander.

Bo is not going anywhere.... I think...ha

but....espn just announced that Chris Peterson may be the leading candidate to replace Ricky ant UCLA

I read an article by 'bleacher report' (I know I know) but UCLA was one of Peterson's 'dream jobs' with USC being his #1 job. Peterson is a California native so it's naturally to me that he would be interested in UCLA.