Fans at the Iowa Game

majech

I was very surprised, and actually disappointed in Husker fan, to have seen so many Iowa fans in the stadium that day. I sit in the north end zone and assume I'm surrounded by season ticket holders seats. I had 4 Iowa fans next to me, 2 right in front of me, and 2 immediately behind me not to mention all the Iowa fans near me which were not within reach.

I was shocked to see such apparent apathy for the last game of the season with 9 wins on the line against a team has is our next appointed "rival". While I'm not sure they will ever be our rival, going to the last game of the season, on a beautiful day, on Thanksgiving Friday, seems special to me.

While I was disappointed in Husker Fans for selling their tixs to Iowa fan, or to public places to be purchased by Iowa fan, I actually have fun sitting by them. Their energy was great early on, they were knowledgable, and they were fun to jokingly jab with back and forth. I'm just very glad that we were beating them bad enough to watch them stream out of the stadium earth in the 4th quarter.

The next time they come to Lincoln, Husker nation needs to do a better job of protecting our house.

GBR

Iowa is literally an hour away, for starters. And any Nebraska fans that were going to be away for Thanksgiving and sold their ticket online...well that ticket could have ended up being bought by an Iowa fan. So I think that Turkey Day played a big part in it. It just hasn't been noticeable for years because Colorado fans don't travel, and in years past those sold tickets were just bought up by other Neb fans. I'd like to see more of a "sea of red" but it isn't that big of a deal

• Fire 2

I dont want to make excuses for everyone, but we werent playing for much.

- It was Thanksgiving weekend

- Friday game when people had to work

- No change of CCG

- No chance at BCS game

- Iowa isnt seen as a rival by NU fans, more like the annoying little step brother.

- Pelini hasnt been particularly friendly to the Husker fans over the years

- Half of Iowa are NU fans. Season ticket holders probably didnt know they were selling to Iowa fans.

just a few thoughts.

Pelini hasn't been particularly friendly to husker fans over the years? thats a joke right? if not, maybe you'd like the friendly Callahan back. Husker fans who think Pelini is mean probably also like the new rules that have made defensive "hitting" in football a penalty and think Suh is a dirty player who should take anger management classes- ...BTW not a direct attack on you, because I feel that you're joking and YOU don't believe that

Yeah, I saw some Hawkeye fans sitting with Husker fans, knew each other too well to just be friendly fans. But there were groups of Hawkeye fans scattered too. I guess that's why tickets were still going for $125 and tough to find more than a single 1/2 hour before the game. Luckily I came across 4 at face value. We were close to giving up. My son kept his unbeaten record alive, 7-0 I believe, including the 2 A&M comebacks and the 98 Orange Bowl.

I wouldn't assume all these tickets were sold to Iowa fans. I'm sure there are many Husker fans whose friends are Hawkeye fans. I know several of mine are. IF I had an extra ticket for the game and wanted to take a friend, it might have been a Hawkeye fan.

I did bring a Hawkeye fan to the game. We had a very nice time. He came to the 2007 Ok St game and was amazed Husker fans stuck around as long as they did. And he was amazed at how nice he was treated all day last Friday. After the game he had 3 separate people come up to him and ask him if NU fans were hospitable, if he had a good time, etc.

Once NU adds those additional seats in East Stadium you can bet it will be even easier to get into Memorial Stadium for opponents. Don't fault season ticket holders, those tickets aren't cheap and they deserve the right to liquidate to the nearest bidder.

• Fire 1

There were a LOT of Iowa fans at the game. I would guesstimate somewhere around 10,000 to 15,000.

They had thinned out some by the middle of the fourth quarter, though. I think they didn't have as much fun watching the game as they thought they would.

Sorry, but there were no where near 10K IA fans in the stadium. The visitors section is what 3K? And there were NU fans peppered in there. North Stadium had a block of fans, let say 20 rows so what is that? 500? And then ones and twos interspersed.

I think it is generous to say there were 6K total.

Iowa used all their tickets that were giving to them 4000. Most teams that come to Lincoln don't use all of their tickets so it looked worse than normal. There were Iowa fans scattered through out the stadium but not another 6000 to 11000 of them. Most of them were out tailgating and didn't even go into the game. I would say inside there were 5000 to 6500. JMO

There were so many mixed groups of fans. I know quite a few Iowa fans that live here in Lincoln and have season tickets to Nebraska games because they can't travel to Iowa for every home game and just like football. They have all been Iowa fans first and Husker fans 2nd - but the Huskers are the hometown team so that is where they have tickets. Between those fans and the ones that have family friends visiting for Thanksgiving it isn't a surprise there was a lot of Black and Gold just like it won't be a surprise to see more Husker fans than a normal team would get in at Kinnick next year. I know that I will be responsible for letting 3 Nebraska fans in to the game next year - but that was the tradeoff for getting 2 of us in this year.