DC Candidates?

People here are amazing. There is not one reason to assume any game Nebraska ever plays is a guaranteed loss. No more so than saying a game is a guaranteed win. If we continue to play well and improve each week then we will be fine. Pelini is a good coach. We won't find anyone any better willing to come here. Relax and be a husker fan. Go watch the game and cheer. GBR!

well then, i guess we should be happy with Pelini, as this is as good as it gets? wow.......

Guess this answers the question. Looks like John Papuchis will be the DC with Rick Kaczenski taking over on the line. At least that is my take from this.

http://www.washingto...ws7O_story.html

How'd did you come to that conclusion when it never mentions Nebraska in that article and says nothing about JP? Makes no sense at all.......

Its called deductive reasoning. Iowa has stated they gave Bo permission to talk to Kaczenski. Papuch will have to give up some roll to take on the DC job. He is the DL & special teams coach & recruiting coordnator. If he gives up the DL job they will need to hire someone to fill it. Which brings us back to Kacenski, Iowa's now ex-DL coach that has been in contact with Bo.

Huh. I guess every blind squirrel finds a nut sometime in his life.

Because Bo 2013 is set up like 07 Kansas. @Michigan, @Penn State is the entire schedule assuming we don't lay an egg in a game we're favored by 10+. Michigan w/out Robinson and virtually every other 11' starter. Penn State coming out of who knows what kind of mess. Neither worries me greatly at this point...though that's a long ways out.

Bo should roll through that schedule with a team heavy on junior/senior talent. Heard/Green/Abdulla/Martinez/Bell/Turner/Enunwa. Our OL should finally be solid with Sirles/ARod/Pensick/Long/Qvale/Moore/Peat, etc.. The defense will be rebuilding next year, but by 13' we'll see guys like Ankrah/Rome/Guy/Green/SJB/Osborne/Evans etc really stepping up. This plus a JUCO recruit or two and we should have one of the most complete teams in a decade.

Bo has 2 years IMO - pending the outcome of that season. Win 9 games in 13' and he wont' be here in 14' - but he has a very good oportunity to use that season to build the foundation for the rest of his career at NU. He's not going anywhere after 12'...it will be a lackluster 9 win season if we're lucky and we'll know that going in. 13' is the key though and he needs to be thinking that way IMO.

Interesting theory on that 2013 season, but wasn't the 2010 season set up the same way? Maybe even better? Toughest game was supposed to be Texas and we got them at home (plus they ended up sucking). Coming off of a solid bowl win vs. Arizona. Senior quarterback. Etc, etc, etc...

Because Bo 2013 is set up like 07 Kansas. @Michigan, @Penn State is the entire schedule assuming we don't lay an egg in a game we're favored by 10+. Michigan w/out Robinson and virtually every other 11' starter. Penn State coming out of who knows what kind of mess. Neither worries me greatly at this point...though that's a long ways out.

Bo should roll through that schedule with a team heavy on junior/senior talent. Heard/Green/Abdulla/Martinez/Bell/Turner/Enunwa. Our OL should finally be solid with Sirles/ARod/Pensick/Long/Qvale/Moore/Peat, etc.. The defense will be rebuilding next year, but by 13' we'll see guys like Ankrah/Rome/Guy/Green/SJB/Osborne/Evans etc really stepping up. This plus a JUCO recruit or two and we should have one of the most complete teams in a decade.

Bo has 2 years IMO - pending the outcome of that season. Win 9 games in 13' and he wont' be here in 14' - but he has a very good oportunity to use that season to build the foundation for the rest of his career at NU. He's not going anywhere after 12'...it will be a lackluster 9 win season if we're lucky and we'll know that going in. 13' is the key though and he needs to be thinking that way IMO.

Interesting theory on that 2013 season, but wasn't the 2010 season set up the same way? Maybe even better? Toughest game was supposed to be Texas and we got them at home (plus they ended up sucking). Coming off of a solid bowl win vs. Arizona. Senior quarterback. Etc, etc, etc...

Yeah it is similar, the expectations are very similar. IMO the one difference this time is that in 2010 we had a mismatched O-Coordinator trying to mix WC with Spread and a Fr. QB. Beck is putting together an Offense that matches more of the skill set on hand IMO and will have a Sr. QB or an experienced Jr. QB. Not to mention that the scheme will be consistent for 3 straight years instead of being in a transition year like Watson was. If Bo doesn't get it done that year then he may be in trouble.

I will disagree about 2012 expectations though. I don't think they are any lower, the key game is Michigan and they come to Lincoln. The B1G on the road has been spotty at best. MU lost at Iowa and at MSU, 2 teams NU beat soundly at home. The cross over games for MU and NU are a bit in the favor of MU, though both teams have to travel to Columbus. NU gets PSU at home and Wisky, MU goes to OSU and Purdue but gets Ill at home. MU has to replace a decent chunk of starters, NU has more coming back I believe. I also believe that the Blackshirts will be much improved in 2012; I see 2011 much like 2008, a transition year. Bo has a better idea of what to expect and will adjust. Players seemed to come on and play better IMO in the last several games. That all being said, the winner of NU-MU I think takes the Conference. OSU can't play in the Title Game, PSU will be a bit down, and Wisky is replacing a lot of players and a key coach.

when was the last confrence championship we won? wasnt it like '99?

Wait - do you mean football?

ya, i am pretty sure we lost our conf in 2001, but still went on to play in the NC. I think it was 1999. I wasnt meaning anything by it, just hard to fathom we havent won sh#t since 1999.... that hurts to think about. I think this is one of the main reasons people dont want to give pelini any more time.... people have waited almost 13 years now for one, we dont have much patience left for anyone.

when was the last confrence championship we won? wasnt it like '99?

Wait - do you mean football?

ya, i am pretty sure we lost our conf in 2001, but still went on to play in the NC. I think it was 1999. I wasnt meaning anything by it, just hard to fathom we havent won sh#t since 1999.... that hurts to think about. I think this is one of the main reasons people dont want to give pelini any more time.... people have waited almost 13 years now for one, we dont have much patience left for anyone.

Not necessarily Pelini's fault though, right? The lack of fans' patience.

& what most of us are telling you is that firing him after a 9 win season, no matter how easy it is, will set a bad standard of what is expected here as a head coach. Setting the bar that high will scare off almost every coach. If Bo has a 9 win season in '12 & another 9 wins in '13. Some fans may call for his head, but not many more then are calling for it now.

If he gets to 9 wins in 12' I agree. But, I don't see a 9 win season in 12'. That's a much tougher schedule than 11'. Normally I see 6-7 guarentee wins on the board. I can only pick out 3-4 next year. very early but...

SMU is a win

UCLA likely a win (though road game is scarey).

Arkansas State, with Gus will give us a run for our money. That's definately a toss up. We'll need to score.

The other game is likely a patsy.

Wisconsin - loss, I think they'll have Pelini's number for a few more years.

Ohio State - loss, no way we go to Columbus and take down Braxton.

Northwestern - toss up, but they likely will be favored after we come into the game w/ 2-3 losses.

Michigan - loss. Robinson, mobile QB, nuff said.

Michigan St. - toss up. away game so they'll likely be favored when we have 3-4 losses going in.

Penn State - toss up. i think we'll be favored but I have no idea how to guage that program at this point

Minnesota - win

Iowa - toss up. I think we should win, but it's an away game and I have no idea what our defense/offensive line will look like at this point.

To get to 9 we have to win all 5 of those toss ups. Just don't see it happening. it's not far fetched to think we'll go 3-2 during those, and finish 7-5.

Here is my question to you KC, with all of the returning experience on O why do you think those games will be losses? Nothing over the past 4 years has shown that we will see less than 9 wins, I really think 10-11 is more likely. Look at the teams you are showing as losses or toss ups:

-Arky St. is good on their level, but they won't beat NU at home. Not to mention they will have a new coach next year, not completely sold on GM either. He needs talent to win and there isn't enough there right now.

-Wisconsin losses a LOT including their do everything QB, his replacement doesn't appear to be too mobile. We all know what Bo does to immobile QB's.

-OSU is one I think I would agree with right now, but we don't know for sure.

-NW got a lot of breaks in Lincoln, they need help to beat NU and I don't think a more experienced O gives them as many next year. We saw a lot of improvement in this area last year, I think the trend of improvement continues.

-MU I would rate as a toss up not a decent bet at a loss. MU on the road hasn't shown they can win consistently, not to mention if DR can stay healthy. They did lose at MSU and Iowa last year, both teams NU handled at home. I think MU coming to Lincoln, and NU playing much better in Special Teams, makes this a toss up. Two other factors, MU loses some really good talent next year and I think NU improves on D with a decent number of returning players.

-MSU loses quite a bit next year, especially at QB, WR, and probably on the D-Line as well. It is in E. Lansing, but the next QB will be immobile. This is a decent bet at a win IMO.

-PSU loses a ton of players next year, will be under new management, and come to Lincoln. This is a decent bet at a win IMO.

-Iowa has an inmobile QB and an unimaginative offense. This is a decent bet at a win IMO.

I see 9-11 wins in the regular season, and I would tend to lean towards 10-11. The winner of the NU-MU games wins the Division and with OSU not eligible for the Title Game, wins the Conference IMO.

Frank went from 7 wins to 10 and lost his job after hiring one of the best DCs in the game. If Bo wins 9 in 13', he will have gone from 8 to 9 wins, never doing anything to really improve his staff/results.

If I was running an 80 million a year business (which Bo kind of does)...I wouldn't be hiring entry/junior level staff into executive positions (which is what JP/Beck are).

But firing Frank in 2003 was the biggest business blunder this corporation has made in the last 40 years. We want to repeat that mistake? Yikes.

To carry the business analogy further, Bo is still turning a profit. This program continues to make money, so why fire the CEO? Not a wise business move.

Oh, there's endless internet genius posters who are for that. Nine or ten wins....fire him! It worked for firing Frank/Bo, right? Let's do it again!