Does Spurrier hold a grudge from the ’96 Fiesta Bowl beatdown?

NUance

You're so easy to draw off sides.

And he's decent about it. It's good fishing, and good fun is had by all.

No doubt...wasn't trying to imply any ill will.

I know. We've just had an invasion of trolls of all ilks over the years, and since we know BF reads every post in every thread, and he'll see this, I wanted to make sure he knows we don't think he's a troll. Even if he does have a timeshare under a bridge in Malibu.

You're so easy to draw off sides.

And he's decent about it. It's good fishing, and good fun is had by all.

No doubt...wasn't trying to imply any ill will.

I know. We've just had an invasion of trolls of all ilks over the years, and since we know BF reads every post in every thread, and he'll see this, I wanted to make sure he knows we don't think he's a troll. Even if he does have a timeshare under a bridge in Malibu.

I have only one or two buttons but they're way too easy to push and you guys have discovered them....sometimes I think you guys put me into freak out mode just for fun. :ahhhhhhhh

62-24. Seriously, the ‘96 Fiesta Bowl may have been the biggest #1 over #2 beatdown in the history of college football. I wonder if Spurrier still holds a grudge from having his team humiliated by the Huskers on national TV in the biggest game of the year?

If anything Spurrier has Nebraska to THANK for what it takes to be a NC team. What did Spurrier's team do the very next year?

Face a team other than Nebraska in the Championship game.

If I remember correctly it took a Husker loss to Texas in the 1st Big 12 Championship game for Florida to even make that game.

Ahh, the "mystery illness the night before that took out a dozen of our two-deep" game that people said looked eerily similar to food poisoning, but Dr. Tom was too polite to say as much.

Stacked officials, stacked Big XII conference commissioners, stacked Big XII head of officiating.

My question is, why the **** did we not get out of the Big XII sooner? We knew in 1996 the only way Texas can win is by cheating...

Lets put it this way.. I don't think its something Spurrier is going to go into the game thinking or wanting to avenge.. but if we get in position to run up the score on NU (very unlikely but on the off chance that it happens) I think Spurrier will make sure to do it. Wouldn't be surprised that if such a thing were to take place that he doesn't throw in a little post-game quip referencing that game.

If I still get out the DVD of that game and watch it maybe 2 or three times a year - you bet your sweet petunia Spurrier sees it every night before he goes to sleep - if - he can get to sleep!

GBR

Mmmm no. That's why Spurrier is a hall of fame coach and you're a guy who watches DVDs of games that happened 16 years ago.

Hey Cupcake - Have you guys "ever" had a game that anyone remembers for 15 years? It's been a lot of years since Spurrier was that Hall of Fame coach - maybe since the mid 90's when Nebraska ended his run?

Have a wonderful holidays!

RiverRunner

Lets put it this way.. I don't think its something Spurrier is going to go into the game thinking or wanting to avenge.. but if we get in position to run up the score on NU (very unlikely but on the off chance that it happens) I think Spurrier will make sure to do it. Wouldn't be surprised that if such a thing were to take place that he doesn't throw in a little post-game quip referencing that game.

I would just like to point out that in the 62-24 beatdown that Nebraska handed to Spurrier and his Florida Gators, the Huskers didn't actually run up the score. They had a huge second quarter (and start of the third quarter), but as soon as the game got out of hand the starters were on the sideline celebrating. Nebraska was already two, three, and even four deep at many positions in the third quarter. I know Spurrier realizes that, but I guess what I don't know is if it matters to him. I guess we'll have to see what happens if (God forbid) he gets the opportunity.

If I still get out the DVD of that game and watch it maybe 2 or three times a year - you bet your sweet petunia Spurrier sees it every night before he goes to sleep - if - he can get to sleep!

GBR

Mmmm no. That's why Spurrier is a hall of fame coach and you're a guy who watches DVDs of games that happened 16 years ago.

Hey Cupcake - Have you guys "ever" had a game that anyone remembers for 15 years? It's been a lot of years since Spurrier was that Hall of Fame coach - maybe since the mid 90's when Nebraska ended his run?

Have a wonderful holidays!

RiverRunner

USC has had just as many big games in the past 10 years as Nebraska.

NU

2011 Win over #9 MSU

2010 Win over #7 Mizzou

2001 Win over #2 Oklahoma

USC

2010 Win over #1 Bama

2009 Win over #4 Ole Miss

2007 Win over #8 Kentucky

The more one reads HB the more one realizes that you guys play the history card because NU's in decline and you can't win debating the pure facts of the present. I know because I used to do it in the dark days of the Packers. It sucks when your program ain't what it used to be and the upstarts are upstaging you...I've been there...

Yea we get it, you guys have won tons of MNC's....so does Minnesota.

Yea you have the best fans in college football...never heard that before, Auburn, Alabama etc....

Yea you play great against the SEC never mind you've lost every single game you've played against them in the past decade.

The more one reads HB the more one realizes that you guys play the history card because NU's in decline and you can't win debating the pure facts of the present. I know because I used to do it in the dark days of the Packers. It sucks when your program ain't what it used to be and the upstarts are upstaging you...I've been there...

Yea we get it, you guys have won tons of MNC's....so does Minnesota.

Yea you have the best fans in college football...never heard that before, Auburn, Alabama etc....

Yea you play great against the SEC never mind you've lost every single game you've played against them in the past decade.

You know Badgerfan, you are usually a bit more reasonable and make better arguments than this.

First: NU has won at least 9 games in each of the past four seasons with a chance to win 10 for the third straight year next weekend. If that is "in decline" there are programs all over the country that would LOVE to be in decline.

Second: The only people who refer to National Championships as "mythical" are those whose teams have never won one. In case you want to see what you get for a MNC, there is a trophy case full of "mythical" trophies at NU. And by-the-way, I know you just love to try to suggest that NU's program is in some way analogous to Minnesota, but the fact is that Nebraska has won three national championships in the past 18 years (not nearly 100 years ago like Minnesota) and NU played for the title in 2001. So, not exactly ancient history. Why don't you wait until YOUR teams win something before you start talking trash? Wisconsin is what 11-2, uSC is 10-2, wow I don't know how NU fans will survive being upstaged by the upstarts (Have Wisconsin or South Carolina ever gone undefeated?).

Third: the NCAA record sellout streak is just part of the evidence that we do indeed have the best fans in college football.

...you may now go lick your wounds

History History History, that's all you have. This is one of those "unstoppable force meets immovable object" deals. You guys love pulling out the VHS tapes of the glory years and I love bashing that, it is what it is...anyhow...

When's the last time you won your conference?

How many BCS games have you been to? (I'll go ahead and give you a hint UW has been to more)

Come on...if Edward Gibbon was still alive he'd write a book on you guys...

I exaggerated, maybe you won't become Minnesota, that's a pretty long fall and the basement's already pretty full. Maybe you'll be the next Ole Miss or Texas A&M. Life isn't so bad for them...

How many BCS games have you been to? (I'll go ahead and give you a hint UW has been to more)

If Edward Gibbon was still alive he'd write a book on you guys...

I love it...Wisconsin finally wins the conference a couple of times and suddenly they are some sort of great up-and-coming program. Once again...come talk to me next time either of your pathetic also-rans goes undefeated. Wisconsin has won the Big 10 five times in the last 50 years...congratulations. Nebraska has won the National Title and gone undefeated the same number of times in the last 50 years. Hey, were you alive in 1990, 1989, 1988? Tell me what it's like to go 1-10, 2-9, and 1-10 in consecutive seasons. Tell me what it's like to always be the red-headed step child of your conference. Nebraska has been one of the top teams in College football nearly my entire life. A couple of bad years, but we have never been one of the second-tier teams in our conference. Yeah, Wisconsin won the conference a couple of years in a row...but you are still Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State's (and soon to be Nebraska's) little B**CH! So NU didn't win the B1G the first year in....we are still not like Wisconsin...playing way over our heads. Let's see how Wiscy does next year when their hired gun is gone at QB. If there is any program in decline, it will be Wisconsin. They have peaked, and I think that's why your panties are so tightly wound...you know it.

If Edward Gibbon was still alive he'd write a book on you guys...

I love it...Wisconsin finally wins the conference a couple of times and suddenly they are some sort of great up-and-coming program. Once again...come talk to me next time either of your pathetic also-rans goes undefeated. Wisconsin has won the Big 10 five times in the last 50 years...congratulations. Nebraska has won the National Title and gone undefeated the same number of times in the last 50 years. Hey, were you alive in 1990, 1989, 1988? Tell me what it's like to go 1-10, 2-9, and 1-10 in consecutive seasons. Tell me what it's like to always be the red-headed step child of your conference. Nebraska has been one of the top teams in College football nearly my entire life. A couple of bad years, but we have never been one of the second-tier teams in our conference. Yeah, Wisconsin won the conference a couple of years in a row...but you are still Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State's (and soon to be Nebraska's) little B**CH! So NU didn't win the B1G the first year in....we are still not like Wisconsin...playing way over our heads. Let's see how Wiscy does next year when their hired gun is gone at QB. If there is any program in decline, it will be Wisconsin. They have peaked, and I think that's why your panties are so tightly wound...you know it.

My God, this is pathetic.

First of all, Badgerfan, you choose to come here. If you don't like reading about our past, you don't have to come here. If you call us out, your not going to be very welcome. And if you think Nebraska will never win a B1G title, your crazy. Bo Pelini will figure it out sooner or later and then it won't be past, it will be present. I've defended you ever since you've been on this site, but I gotta tell you, when you said UW is far superior to NU in everything, that pissed me off. I'm trying to convince myself you said that to get 97 back, but Im not quite sure anymore with what you've been saying since you found out USC is playing NU.

Secondly, California Husker, I hate when Nebraska fans pull out the MNC card in every argument. Presently, we aren't in the national scene, no matter how much you say, we are Nebraska. That's all that matters right now, is present. The past is history and we need to focus on present and future. No other teams care much about Nebraska at the present time. Hopefully, that will change sooner rather than later.

Thirdly, how do you know Wisconsin has peaked? They have a good coach and good recruiting and I look forward to good games with them in the future. No matter how much you don't want to admit it, Wisconsin is, at present time, the best team in the B1G. And really, that is all the matters. What have you done for me lately type thing. We have no room to talk about UW cause they took us to the shed THIS year. I'm sure that won't be the case every year. I actually see a pretty even series with them.

Nebraska will get back eventually, maybe not to MNC status, but conference championship status, but that does not mean UW will not win a few also. One last note, everyone on this board uses the term MNC, not just fans of teams that have never won it.