New DC announced: John Papuchis; new DL coach Rick Kaczenski

hskerholic

Zoogies,

When we hired Bo, we paid him minimal salary compared to other major programs. He has worked his way up the ladder. I truly think we have given him way too much money for what he has accomplished. I am not sure what all our coaches make, but nothing compared to Bama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Ohio State and I imagine a host of other programs.

I think Bo's hands are tied as to what he can spend on the staff, and he is living with that. I hope that is what is going on. Pap does not have the credentials to be a top program hire. No one else in the top 15 would have offered it to him. I also think Bo likes the Yes men idea.

I am hoping this turns out for the best, but I still feel this will be the beginning of the end for Bo. No experience on this coaching staff, Bo does not have enough to the head coach and now he is training both OC and DC. He has not learned to delegate and that is the end of a manager. I am afraid he has made a terrible error. Not in hiring a bad coach by any means, but taking on more work when he really needs to be doing less and more of the managing side of the team.

Those guys get paid like that because they get results. Bo was lucky to even get the job in the first place, let alone expect to be paid like one of the top coaches in CFB, in which he's not. I don't think money is a factor unless it comes from TO himself. NU has the boosters to pay for anyone we want. Hell, we are grossly overpaying Bo right now if you are just looking at on the field success.

I totally agree with you on your last paragraph. Without improved recruiting, Bo will be gone in two years as UM takes control of the division and we continue to regress as a second tier B1G program. And hiring a guy who is known for "finding sleepers" from Florida that usually don't wake up isn't an improvement in the recruiting department. We had a huge opportunity and whiffed.

agreed

Zoogies,

When we hired Bo, we paid him minimal salary compared to other major programs. He has worked his way up the ladder. I truly think we have given him way too much money for what he has accomplished. I am not sure what all our coaches make, but nothing compared to Bama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Ohio State and I imagine a host of other programs.

I think Bo's hands are tied as to what he can spend on the staff, and he is living with that. I hope that is what is going on. Pap does not have the credentials to be a top program hire. No one else in the top 15 would have offered it to him. I also think Bo likes the Yes men idea.

I am hoping this turns out for the best, but I still feel this will be the beginning of the end for Bo. No experience on this coaching staff, Bo does not have enough to the head coach and now he is training both OC and DC. He has not learned to delegate and that is the end of a manager. I am afraid he has made a terrible error. Not in hiring a bad coach by any means, but taking on more work when he really needs to be doing less and more of the managing side of the team.

Those guys get paid like that because they get results. Bo was lucky to even get the job in the first place, let alone expect to be paid like one of the top coaches in CFB, in which he's not. I don't think money is a factor unless it comes from TO himself. NU has the boosters to pay for anyone we want. Hell, we are grossly overpaying Bo right now if you are just looking at on the field success.

I totally agree with you on your last paragraph. Without improved recruiting, Bo will be gone in two years as UM takes control of the division and we continue to regress as a second tier B1G program. And hiring a guy who is known for "finding sleepers" from Florida that usually don't wake up isn't an improvement in the recruiting department. We had a huge opportunity and whiffed.

I'm just curious because you have such great hatred for all things Bo and his obvious (to you) failures, who do you think are the best head coaches out there.

Zoogies,

agreed

Wheres Hunter 49? Then we have all the negative nancys together, just dont cross your streams, Memorial Stadium will expolde.

• Fire 5

Zoogies,

agreed

Wheres Hunter 49? Then we have all the negative nancys together, just dont cross your streams, Memorial Stadium will expolde.

I lol'ed. +1 for the random Ghostbusters.

Wow...talk about a major bust of a hire. Below is John Papuchis' ENTIRE coaching resume.

2001–2003 Kansas (Graduate Assistant)

2004–2007 LSU (Graduate Assistant)

2008–2010 Nebraska (Special Teams)

2011 Nebraska (D-Line)

2012 Nebraska (DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR)

The guy has only been out of college and coaching for 10 years, 6 of those years he was a Grad Assistant. JP has been a position coach for all of 4 years and now he is magically ready to become D-Coordinator? What a joke.

I'm absolutely shocked that people on this board aren't furious about this hire. This hire is exactly the same as if we would have hired Scott Frost last year to become our Offensive Coordinator. I seem to remember people freaking out about the mere thought of that happening. Only difference is with Frost, we at least would have been bringing back "one of our own."

Scott Frost Coaching Resume:

2002 Nebraska (GA)

2006 Kansas St (GA)

2007 N. Iowa (LB's)

2007-08 N. Iowa (Co-D Coord/LB's)

2009-present Oregon (WR's)

See any resemblance? I sure do.

One difference is that with Frost, it was a discussion about a potential hire, while JP's hiring/promotion is now a done deal. All the complaining in the world isn't going to change that. Probably a lot of people (myself included) mostly feel you might as well get on board and support it even if you are disappointed by it. I don't see any value in getting furious about it.

One difference is that with Frost, it was a discussion about a potential hire, while JP's hiring/promotion is now a done deal. All the complaining in the world isn't going to change that. Probably a lot of people (myself included) mostly feel you might as well get on board and support it even if you are disappointed by it. I don't see any value in getting furious about it.

The true difference is Frost was a Nebraska guy and JP is a Pelini guy. The negative guys on here aren't going to stop bitching until it is a Nebraska guy that comes back to coach. Same thing happened when Els was hired over Colman.

The true difference is Frost was a Nebraska guy and JP is a Pelini guy. The negative guys on here aren't going to stop bitching until it is a Nebraska guy that comes back to coach. Same thing happened when Els was hired over Colman.

I could care less about a Nebraska Guy, Devaney was far from a "Nebraska Guy"

Just a competent guy would be nice at some point.......Tom

The true difference is Pelini is taking back the D. Pelini.. Yes, they have similar resumes, but Frost and Poochies & Krysolowskinsonington are not going for the same position. Obviously, this all my opinion.

How do you know JP is not a competent guy? Do you know him? Does he call you at home? Do you have a headset? To coach with Bo you must think like the Pelini's! You must be getting inside the Pelini's head. JP is saying to Bo, "Blitz?... Blitz? Blitz? Blitz?" and Bo is saying "Blitz? BLITZ!?!??" and he is in his headset "Nooooooooo!" and you can quote him!

So now you’re saying Kaczenski—the guy with the Youngstown connection—is touted by the media? That doesn’t even make sense.

No Im saying your post was as ironic as they come, I will spell it out for you slowly

you say:

Or random strangers listed in some internet message board thread because they are touted by the media

Then turn around and say

As for the Youngstown mafia, I could think of worse places to have a football connect with than Youngstown.

Never was there a more Media based propaganda job done by the Media than that of Youngstown being something special. It is one thing for sure, the home town of a bunch of coaches that get blown out in Big ( and small) games on a yearly bases. They have an uncanny ability to look promising when using others recruits

How do you know JP is not a competent guy? Do you know him? Does he call you at home? Do you have a headset? To coach with Bo you must think like the Pelini's! You must be getting inside the Pelini's head. JP is saying to Bo, "Blitz?... Blitz? Blitz? Blitz?" and Bo is saying "Blitz? Blitz?" and he is in his headset "Nooooooooo!" and you can quote him!

I was talking moreso about the mediocre coach we picked up from failed Iowa, Jury is still out on JP but from what Ive seen so far in recruiting prowess and on the field results, we are, and will continue to be a middle of the Big Ten Football program. Something I never would have expected EVER during my 50 years of rooting for the Huskers
So now you’re saying Kaczenski—the guy with the Youngstown connection—is touted by the media? That doesn’t even make sense.

No Im saying your post was as ironic as they come, I will spell it out for you slowly

you say:

Or random strangers listed in some internet message board thread because they are touted by the media

Then turn around and say

As for the Youngstown mafia, I could think of worse places to have a football connect with than Youngstown.

Never was there a more Media based propaganda job done by the Media than that of Youngstown being something special. It is one thing for sure, the home town of a bunch of coaches that get blown out in Big ( and small) games on a yearly bases. They have an uncanny ability to look promising when using others recruits

Hey, thanks for spelling it out. Sometimes I have difficulty with these things. So let’s see if I understand. You would prefer for Pelini to hire random strangers listed in some internet message board thread because they are touted by the media. And it would be better if his new hires were from a city with no apparent history or connections with the sport of football. Okay, I gotcha now.

you say:

Then turn around and say

Hey, thanks for spelling it out. Sometimes I have difficulty with these things. So let’s see if I understand. You would prefer for Pelini to hire random strangers listed in some internet message board thread because they are touted by the media. And it would be better if his new hires were from a city with no apparent history or connections with the sport of football. Okay, I gotcha now.

What City was Bob Devaney from? Actually I would like to see Pelini hire someone competent for once instead of golf buddies and Barney Cotton ( and free ride his entire family at our expense)

Theres a reason he keeps hiring duds, he wants to appear as though he's competent and even an average hire would probably take his job about now

As far as I'm concerned, I am a Nebraska fan, and Bo is the coach of my team. He has shown throughout the past 4 years that he has the drive to make great teams, and I believe he has the ability and the knowledge to do so. 9 or 10 wins each year is WAY more than most teams in the nation would DREAM of having. While I hope someday soon to be hoisting that national championship trophy, 9 or 10 wins a year are very respectable until we break through that barrier.

Bo is a young head coach who is still learning on the job, and I have complete faith that if we stick with him, he will lead us back to be champions sooner than later.

• Fire 3