Some impressive Bo numbers........

Comish

Curious, you say Bo doesn't want to be here because he isn't recruiting well enough. Falls victim to circular reasoning:

How do you know Bo doesn't want to be here? Because he isn't recruiting well [opinion BTW, not total fact]

Why aren't we recruiting well? Because Bo doesn't want to be here.

Recruting is the life blood of college coaching. If you don't take it seriously during the season, espically at a place like NU that doesn't have all of the recruting advantages that the SEC does or the LA schools. If he wanted to be here, I would think he would be trying everything that he could to get the best players here. And by using only 25 of our 55 official visits during the season, doesn't speak well of taking it seriously. It's not as bad as Frank was, but it's not where it needs to be either. Bo was approached by one of the assistants asking as to why some of the coaches on the staff weren't recruting during the season and voiced his opinion that they need to pick up the pace or the class isn't going to be where it needs to be. Bo just told him that he though everything was fine and that nothing needed to be done. That is why we are not recruting well enough.

FYI to be competitive on the national level (top 15) while the recruiting rankings are not the end all of the judgement of talent, it's been proven that you have to average at least a 3.5 star average to achive that feat.

Also finally as far as Bo not wanting to be here, if he didn't want to go anywhere, he wouldn't have his agent look at Miami, tOSU, PSU after every offseason. And if the admin wanted him here for the long term, he would have a larger buyout of his contract ($250K) Espically now that Carl was forced to leave. He doen't like having TO looking over his shoulder and is getting tired of it. Also look at his demeanor since the aTm game last year when Pearlman publically admonished him, it's been downhill since then.

Actually it hasn't, but it doesn't hurt. I think the bar is actually around 3.3, but I will pull out some old charts to verify. Also by this logic, you should be happy with what Bo and Co did last year and are track to do this year.

I will be if he can keep that rating with a full class of 18 kids. As of now we have 9 commits and one month to signing day.

I agree on getting a full class, still a lot of work to do to close this class out. I think that after the first week in JAN the class will look much closer to completion, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous. I posted some numbers I pulled together in the Recruiting thread if you care to look at them. To get to a BCS Bowl level, Conference Champ, 3.0 average stars is the bar. The bar to be a Title Game Participant is up at the 3.5 average star level you referred to. Although last year was an exception.

Any idea on NU s average star level during the 90s decade?

I don't, but I heard from the horses mouth itself (aka Tom Osborne) that Nebraska's recruiting classes consistently ranked 25 or lower during his head coaching tenure. He had some highly ranked classes, but he also classes that weren't "Top 25" caliber.

Any idea on NU s average star level during the 90s decade?

I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that the class that included Grant Wistrom was not a top 10 recruiting class according to most experts. That class went on to a 49-2 record including 3 national titles. Top recruiting classes full of four and five star recruits don't always mean great recruiting classes. Something TO knew was that you recruit what you need; it's not all about the stars.

Well actually, the myth that TO didn't recruit well according to the recruiting mags is exactly that, a bit of a myth. Here is what I was able to find for past SuperPrep, now Scout, rankings. I know others have the Max ratings and others compiled, but I haven't been able to find them online and I don't have copies of those magazines on hand.

In general, TO had Top 20 type classes with a few Top 30 type classes and several Top 10 type classes.

SuperPrep

1997 - 19

1996 - 6

1995 - 8

1994 - 20

1993 - 18

1992 - 14

1991 - 28

1990 - 10

1989 - 12

1988 - 24

1987 - 7

I am really impressed with what has has been able to do with what he inherited. Keep up tue good work Bo. Recruiting is a lot better too.

pass whatever your smoking this way.....

He is not the recruiter Cally was, and he inherited a decent amount of talent (look at all the NFL picks over the last 4 years).

No matter if you support Bo or not, lets atleast be honest about it.

Not to mention that half of the players cally got never saw the field. Recruiting and developing are 2 different subjects. I think Bo and his staff can do both.

Not to mention Bo wins 9 or 10 games every year while half the time Clownahan would win 5 or 6 games.... or that in his first four years he'll win 10 games twice (even with taking over a hopelessly shipwrecked program).and possibly three times while Clownahan won 10 games zero times.

But of course recruiting stars are vastly more important than results on the field.

pass whatever your smoking this way.....

Can you people be any more dull? Those "stars" that you mock Callahan for are what Bo has been working with his first three years here. Which was a lot, if Bo took over in 2003, he wouldn't have made a bowl game either with that "talent" that the drunken midget left NU. Hell TO wouldn't have been able to win 6 games with Joe Dailey as your only scholarship QB and three defensive lineman on the team.

I think it's so funny how all of these excuses are given for Bo "needing time to build a program" and is allowed to go through assistant changes just about every year while Callahan was ran out of town without being given the chance to hire a new DC.

simon_wtf_gif.gif

Can you people be any more dull? Those "stars" that you mock Callahan for are what Bo has been working with his first three years here. Which was a lot, if Bo took over in 2003, he wouldn't have made a bowl game either with that "talent" that the drunken midget left NU. Hell TO wouldn't have been able to win 6 games with Joe Dailey as your only scholarship QB and three defensive lineman on the team.

I think it's so funny how all of these excuses are given for Bo "needing time to build a program" and is allowed to go through assistant changes just about every year while Callahan was ran out of town without being given the chance to hire a new DC.

simon_wtf_gif.gif

I'm guessing that the truth hurts?

• Fire 1

Well actually, the myth that TO didn't recruit well according to the recruiting mags is exactly that, a bit of a myth. Here is what I was able to find for past SuperPrep, now Scout, rankings. I know others have the Max ratings and others compiled, but I haven't been able to find them online and I don't have copies of those magazines on hand.

In general, TO had Top 20 type classes with a few Top 30 type classes and several Top 10 type classes.

SuperPrep

1997 - 19

1996 - 6

1995 - 8

1994 - 20

1993 - 18

1992 - 14

1991 - 28

1990 - 10

1989 - 12

1988 - 24

1987 - 7

Whoops, you have to hate it when facts get in the way of "The Nebraska Way" myth.

• Fire 1

According to Scout.com, under Bo Pelini, Nebraska has finished...

2011 - 19

2010 - 29

2009 - 33

2008 - 21

25.5 average.

Under Bill Callahan, Nebraska finished...

2007 - 21

2006 - 29

2005 - 10

2004 - 38

24.5 average.

Some interesting things here. First, Nebraska has had one Top 10 class in the last eight years, maybe longer (didn't look). Callahan proved it is still possible to get a Top 10 class at Nebraska, however he also proved unable to keep his job. Second, while it is clear people want to argue Callahan was the better recruiter, the star rankings suggest they were both (for the most part) relatively even. That said, the Top 10 class is impressive.

Recruiting is important, just as coaching is important. You can't have one without the other, and while some lean to recruiting being more important, I tend to lean the opposite. But I think one fact should be faced here. Nebraska isn't what it used to be, and I doubt high school recruits guffaw over seeing the red 'N' of a Nebraska coach at their high school like they used to decades ago. Recruiting today is far more challenging than it used to be, especially with social media, and I've heard this said on more than one occasion by people related to the program. We shouldn't lower our standards at Nebraska, however we should understand that today's game is different and ever changing.

SuperPrep

1997 - 19

1996 - 6

1995 - 8

1994 - 20

1993 - 18

1992 - 14

1991 - 28

1990 - 10

1989 - 12

1988 - 24

1987 - 7

Whoops, you have to hate it when facts get in the way of "The Nebraska Way" myth.

It is still amazing what T.O. did with those recruiting classes.... Mack Brown gets a top 3 class every year, and struggles to get into a decent bowl game....

According to Scout.com, under Bo Pelini, Nebraska has finished...

2011 - 19

2010 - 29

2009 - 33

2008 - 21

25.5 average.

Under Bill Callahan, Nebraska finished...

2007 - 21

2006 - 29

2005 - 10

2004 - 38

24.5 average.

Some interesting things here. First, Nebraska has had one Top 10 class in the last eight years, maybe longer (didn't look). Callahan proved it is still possible to get a Top 10 class at Nebraska, however he also proved unable to keep his job. Second, while it is clear people want to argue Callahan was the better recruiter, the star rankings suggest they were both (for the most part) relatively even. That said, the Top 10 class is impressive.

Recruiting is important, just as coaching is important. You can't have one without the other, and while some lean to recruiting being more important, I tend to lean the opposite. But I think one fact should be faced here. Nebraska isn't what it used to be, and I doubt high school recruits guffaw over seeing the red 'N' of a Nebraska coach at their high school like they used to decades ago. Recruiting today is far more challenging than it used to be, especially with social media, and I've heard this said on more than one occasion by people related to the program. We shouldn't lower our standards at Nebraska, however we should understand that today's game is different and ever changing.

You really shouldn't count 2004 and 2008 for Cally and Bo since those were transition years and both don't reflect on them as a recruiter due to a bunch of decommits in Bo's case and the fact that Cally took the job so late in the process and Frank only had a few commits in the first place. Not to mention crappy recruiting was the reason why Frank was fired in the first place. So he didn't have a chance to really recruit that year.

You really shouldn't count 2004 and 2008 for Cally and Bo since those were transition years and both don't reflect on them as a recruiter due to a bunch of decommits in Bo's case and the fact that Cally took the job so late in the process and Frank only had a few commits in the first place. Not to mention crappy recruiting was the reason why Frank was fired in the first place. So he didn't have a chance to really recruit that year.

That's why I included them both, because each year wasn't necessarily a reflection on recruiting ability but still considered to be that coach's class. Take out their first years, however, and Pelini averaged 27 while Callahan averaged 20. Statistically Callahan was the better recruiter, and the Top 10 class he brought in deserves a lot of praise, but the two still aren't astronomically different as some posters have suggested in the past.

To avoid beating a dead horse, however, one still has his job here while the other does not. Callahan's top 10 class, while impressive, didn't let him keep his job. Pelini's classes, while not overtly impressive, still has him here. Pelini also has an interesting and difficult challenge this year because he's had to shift his recruiting target areas. There are many differences between these two coaches and their situations, but at the most basic of levels, it's the truth.

SuperPrep

1997 - 19

1996 - 6

1995 - 8

1994 - 20

1993 - 18

1992 - 14

1991 - 28

1990 - 10

1989 - 12

1988 - 24

1987 - 7

Whoops, you simply don't understand Nebraska football and recruiting. Let me help you. Using the data that you state shows clearly we got GREAT recruiting classes after we won National Championships. Well, gee......imagine that. :confucius

Excluding the NC years you show a rounded average of 17. Depending on what recruiting service you use, that's about the ranking we had last year. Same old, same old thing.

Nebraska under TO, as others everywhere have stated, averaged around 20 or something in recruiting rankings for his 25 years. Here and there a top 10 class mixed in with his top 30 or so classes. In the 70s & 80s he didn't have any National Championships to bring in top 10 classes so obviously the average class ranking would probably be lower.

At any rate, on average TO's average recruiting ranking were "not" top 10 or even close. Not even in the same galaxy as the last decade or so of the Texas, Oklahoma, etc annual recruiting rankings. I have no idea what "myth" you're claiming to expose as actually you're just re-confirming what we all already knew.

simon_wtf_gif.gif

I'm guessing that the truth hurts?

I don't get why you are beating a dead horse, especially since it was shown earlier in this thread that Bo is actually out recruiting Callahan when you compare average stars. Enhance's post just above shows them being pretty equal according to class rankings. Callahan did bring in some great talent, but Bo seems to be as well.