Some impressive Bo numbers........

Comish

What I find interesting is comparing Texas to Nebraska. Solich played for a NC, lost, had a subpar season following the NC loss, then had a pretty decent 10 win season the next year. His status: fired. Mack Brown played for a NC, lost, had a non-bowl eligible season following, then had another very subpar season. His status: multi-year contract extension.

That's what winning a MNC 6 years ago will get you apparently.

The intersting thing is the fact that his current contract doesn't even expire until 2016. His last two years have not been up to Texas standards, plus Mack is getting up there in years. I just don't understand their logic giving him a multi-year contract extension any more than I understood our logic for firing Solich. With the way things are going, it's no wonder Muschamp bolted for Florida even though he was the HC in waiting at Texas because it appears he could have been waiting over a decade.

I'll never understand it either. Frank won the BigXII, beat Texas & played in a NC game (should have in 1999 too) and twice won the BigXII COY. For that we fired him. Bizarre.

Mack has that NC which is a biggie and to his full credit but look at the recruits he gets every single year. Wow. Now he's losing to Iowa St, KSU (4 years in a row) and lots of other teams. For that he gets contract extensions. Makes perfect sense, right?

Haha...it's crazy.

Frank took over the defending National Champions with a ton of talent. Just winning one CCG with that talent isn't very impressive. NU didn't deserve to go to the MNC in 2001 after what sCUm did to us. But in Franks defense, he should have played for the MNC in 1999 if it wasn't for the dam SEC Commish "tweaking" the SOS formula mid-season so VT wouldn't be punished for playing two Division 1-AA teams in their OOC on top of a crappy Big Least schedule. I also think NU would have beaten that FSU team, they were very overrated which is par for the course for that school.

And if he would have won that he may have gotten a few more years, but the problems still remained. I also don't think he should have been fired after 2003, even though those 9 wins were against bad, competition. He should have stayed for 2004, blown the bowl streak himself and then we wouldn't have had the clusterf*&^ that we did in 2003. The fan base would have been united and then just maybe we could have gotten a better coach to replace him. But that was impossible since we had an incompetent jack a$$ as our AD at the time.

Picture me optimistic, but I don't think the 2004 season would have looked anything at all similar to how it played out under BC. For starters, I believe we would have beaten Soutern Miss. Texas Tech would have beaten us but not nearly as bad. After looking back at that schedule, I see two losses to TT and OU. We might have dropped another possibly to CU making us 9-2/8-3. The North division of the Big 12 was horrible in 2004 with only two of the six teams bowl eligible.

Curious, you say Bo doesn't want to be here because he isn't recruiting well enough. Falls victim to circular reasoning:

How do you know Bo doesn't want to be here? Because he isn't recruiting well [opinion BTW, not total fact]

Why aren't we recruiting well? Because Bo doesn't want to be here.

Recruting is the life blood of college coaching. If you don't take it seriously during the season, espically at a place like NU that doesn't have all of the recruting advantages that the SEC does or the LA schools. If he wanted to be here, I would think he would be trying everything that he could to get the best players here. And by using only 25 of our 55 official visits during the season, doesn't speak well of taking it seriously. It's not as bad as Frank was, but it's not where it needs to be either. Bo was approached by one of the assistants asking as to why some of the coaches on the staff weren't recruting during the season and voiced his opinion that they need to pick up the pace or the class isn't going to be where it needs to be. Bo just told him that he though everything was fine and that nothing needed to be done. That is why we are not recruting well enough.

FYI to be competitive on the national level (top 15) while the recruiting rankings are not the end all of the judgement of talent, it's been proven that you have to average at least a 3.5 star average to achive that feat.

Also finally as far as Bo not wanting to be here, if he didn't want to go anywhere, he wouldn't have his agent look at Miami, tOSU, PSU after every offseason. And if the admin wanted him here for the long term, he would have a larger buyout of his contract ($250K) Espically now that Carl was forced to leave. He doen't like having TO looking over his shoulder and is getting tired of it. Also look at his demeanor since the aTm game last year when Pearlman publically admonished him, it's been downhill since then.

Picture me optimistic, but I don't think the 2004 season would have looked anything at all similar to how it played out under BC. For starters, I believe we would have beaten Soutern Miss. Texas Tech would have beaten us but not nearly as bad. After looking back at that schedule, I see two losses to TT and OU. We might have dropped another possibly to CU making us 9-2/8-3. The North division of the Big 12 was horrible in 2004 with only two of the six teams bowl eligible.

I'm not defending Callahan, but you also have to look at the total lack of talent that we had in 2004. Joe Daily was our only scholarship QB. (because Frank put all of his eggs into the Carl Crawford basket and didn't have a fall back option when he chose baseball) The thought of him running the option is laughable. Corry Ross was our best RB and he was a 3rd down back at best. Our only play maker on offense was Matt Herrian and that doesn't do you any good if the QB can't throw the ball. Throw in a very average at best OL and you will have a bad offense, no matter what kind you try to run. We did have some talent at LB and the secondary, but we only had three DL on the team. So no matter what kind of defense that you ran, we were not going to get pressure in the second half as our DL were beyond tired. As you noticed in the TTU game where it was actually a close game at the half.

This is where Frank's lazy recruiting killed the program, he's not a bad coach, but he never took recruiting seriously enough to replace what Tom left him. It may not have been laziness either, it could have very easily been arrogance. We were on the top of the world and very relevant at the time and just by walking into the school with the "N" on your shirt was thought to be good enough. For whatever the reason, he didn't get the athlete's needed to compete at the level that NU is accustomed too.

Just curious :) Why do you think this? and the second part Bo seemed to be much calmer this year, more amicable to the press (the situation with Dirk an exception-I didn't blame him for that one. Sometimes the press asks awfully silly questions) he also seemed more calm on the sidelines. To me, and this is just my opinion, he seems to be improving in that department. Perhaps he can learn from his new OC/DC how to talk with the press. I think both of them do a nice job in dealing with the press. Maybe they can help him. Some people are just not comfortable in that department. It takes practice. However, I give him huge props for the way he spoke to the press after the Penn State game. He was very sincere, almost vulnerable. I really liked that side of Bo. Hopefully he will continue to develop and grow.

The press isn't the boosters and he doen't like catering to them. I don't know that I would either, but they would be the ones that control my paycheck so it's unfortunatly part of the job. He has blown off a few appointments with the admin/boosters and they are running out of patience with him. He really needs to win a conference title soon or they will force TO's hand if he keeps this up.

As for his sideline demeanor, he's improved greatly this year and he does deserve to be commended for growing up and acting like a professioal on the sideline.

Just curious :) Why do you think this? and the second part Bo seemed to be much calmer this year, more amicable to the press (the situation with Dirk an exception-I didn't blame him for that one. Sometimes the press asks awfully silly questions) he also seemed more calm on the sidelines. To me, and this is just my opinion, he seems to be improving in that department. Perhaps he can learn from his new OC/DC how to talk with the press. I think both of them do a nice job in dealing with the press. Maybe they can help him. Some people are just not comfortable in that department. It takes practice. However, I give him huge props for the way he spoke to the press after the Penn State game. He was very sincere, almost vulnerable. I really liked that side of Bo. Hopefully he will continue to develop and grow.

The press isn't the boosters and he doen't like catering to them. I don't know that I would either, but they would be the ones that control my paycheck so it's unfortunatly part of the job. He has blown off a few appointments with the admin/boosters and they are running out of patience with him. He really needs to win a conference title soon or they will force TO's hand if he keeps this up.

As for his sideline demeanor, he's improved greatly this year and he does deserve to be commended for growing up and acting like a professioal on the sideline.

If only he could act like Nick Saban, Bob Stoops, Les Miles, Bob Devaney, Bill Belichick, Jon Gruden, Vince Lombardi, etc...

I'm not defending Callahan, but you also have to look at the total lack of talent that we had in 2004. Joe Daily was our only scholarship QB. (because Frank put all of his eggs into the Carl Crawford basket and didn't have a fall back option when he chose baseball) The thought of him running the option is laughable. Corry Ross was our best RB and he was a 3rd down back at best. Our only play maker on offense was Matt Herrian and that doesn't do you any good if the QB can't throw the ball. Throw in a very average at best OL and you will have a bad offense, no matter what kind you try to run. We did have some talent at LB and the secondary, but we only had three DL on the team. So no matter what kind of defense that you ran, we were not going to get pressure in the second half as our DL were beyond tired. As you noticed in the TTU game where it was actually a close game at the half.

This is where Frank's lazy recruiting killed the program, he's not a bad coach, but he never took recruiting seriously enough to replace what Tom left him. It may not have been laziness either, it could have very easily been arrogance. We were on the top of the world and very relevant at the time and just by walking into the school with the "N" on your shirt was thought to be good enough. For whatever the reason, he didn't get the athlete's needed to compete at the level that NU is accustomed too.

I think you make some fairly cogent arguments with some of your postings although I don't agree with all of it. The paragraph I highlighted in red above is an example. It was neither laziness or arrogance that led to recruiting shortfalls for Frank. He was somewhat hamstrung by T.O. strongly wanting him to maintain the current staff and much of that staff was aging, with considerable less energy. Some actually had trouble flying because of bad knees, etc. I'm not saying Frank doesn't have to shoulder some of the blame, but I totally disagree it was because he was lazy or arrogant.

I think you make some fairly cogent arguments with some of your postings although I don't agree with all of it. The paragraph I highlighted in red above is an example. It was neither laziness or arrogance that led to recruiting shortfalls for Frank. He was somewhat hamstrung by T.O. strongly wanting him to maintain the current staff and much of that staff was aging, with considerable less energy. Some actually had trouble flying because of bad knees, etc. I'm not saying Frank doesn't have to shoulder some of the blame, but I totally disagree it was because he was lazy or arrogant.

can you say Dave Gillespie? not exactly old, but a human recruiting neutron bomb

In Frank's first three years as HC, he inherited less talent in terms of top three round NFL draft talent than BC inherited from him. We weren't overly loaded with talent on the offensive side of the ball, but we did have a lot of defensive talent. Considering what Bo was able to do with the defense in 2003, we would have been fine in 2004 defensively. What you tend to forget about the 2004 season was that the schedule was extremely weak. Every team in our division of the Big 12 had a losing record except for Iowa State and CU. Both CU and Iowa State were five loss teams. It wasn't a juggarnaut schedule at all. Dailey wasn't brought in to run the option. He was brought in to run the spread.

In Frank's first three years as HC, he inherited less talent in terms of top three round NFL draft talent than BC inherited from him. We weren't overly loaded with talent on the offensive side of the ball, but we did have a lot of defensive talent. Considering what Bo was able to do with the defense in 2003, we would have been fine in 2004 defensively. What you tend to forget about the 2004 season was that the schedule was extremely weak. Every team in our division of the Big 12 had a losing record except for Iowa State and CU. Both CU and Iowa State were five loss teams. It wasn't a juggarnaut schedule at all. Dailey wasn't brought in to run the option. He was brought in to run the spread.

Exactly. AF is totally wrong about that.

Offensively Frank took over a "ton of talent" that just left in 1997....qb (Frost-J.Unitas finalist), rb (Green-AP 2nd team AA), four vintage Oline pancakers (Anderson-3rd team AP AA, Taylor-Outland trophy winner, Zatechka- all BigXII 3rd team, Pollack-coaches all BigXII) "and" their top reserve (Hoskinson). Essentially he had to totally rebuild the offense.

Defensively losing guys like Wistron (AP AA, Lombardi winner) & J. Peter (AP AA) were nothing to sneeze at either.

Exactly. AF is totally wrong about that.

Offensively Frank took over a "ton of talent" that just left in 1997....qb (Frost-J.Unitas finalist), rb (Green-AP 2nd team AA), four vintage Oline pancakers (Anderson-3rd team AP AA, Taylor-Outland trophy winner, Zatechka- all BigXII 3rd team, Pollack-coaches all BigXII) "and" their top reserve (Hoskinson). Essentially he had to totally rebuild the offense.

Defensively losing guys like Wistron (AP AA, Lombardi winner) & J. Peter (AP AA) were nothing to sneeze at either.

Eric Warfield and Octavious McFarlin, too.

• Fire 1
Curious, you say Bo doesn't want to be here because he isn't recruiting well enough. Falls victim to circular reasoning:

How do you know Bo doesn't want to be here? Because he isn't recruiting well [opinion BTW, not total fact]

Recruting is the life blood of college coaching. If you don't take it seriously during the season, espically at a place like NU that doesn't have all of the recruting advantages that the SEC does or the LA schools. If he wanted to be here, I would think he would be trying everything that he could to get the best players here. And by using only 25 of our 55 official visits during the season, doesn't speak well of taking it seriously. It's not as bad as Frank was, but it's not where it needs to be either. Bo was approached by one of the assistants asking as to why some of the coaches on the staff weren't recruting during the season and voiced his opinion that they need to pick up the pace or the class isn't going to be where it needs to be. Bo just told him that he though everything was fine and that nothing needed to be done. That is why we are not recruting well enough.

FYI to be competitive on the national level (top 15) while the recruiting rankings are not the end all of the judgement of talent, it's been proven that you have to average at least a 3.5 star average to achive that feat.

Also finally as far as Bo not wanting to be here, if he didn't want to go anywhere, he wouldn't have his agent look at Miami, tOSU, PSU after every offseason. And if the admin wanted him here for the long term, he would have a larger buyout of his contract ($250K) Espically now that Carl was forced to leave. He doen't like having TO looking over his shoulder and is getting tired of it. Also look at his demeanor since the aTm game last year when Pearlman publically admonished him, it's been downhill since then.

Actually it hasn't, but it doesn't hurt. I think the bar is actually around 3.3, but I will pull out some old charts to verify. Also by this logic, you should be happy with what Bo and Co did last year and are track to do this year.

If you honestly believe this then there is no help for you because it couldn't be further from the truth. Tracy Winstrom, Mike Rutger, Bobby Newcombe, Eric Crouch, Dan Alexander, Corel Buckhalter, Domic Raola, Kyle Vanden Bosh, Chris Kelsay, Calos Polk, Dion Booker, Mike and Ralph Brown and I could list more if you want say that you are wrong.

Joe Daily, Corry Ross, Richie Incognito, Matt Herian, Fabian Washington, the Bullock Brothers don't compare to what Frank inherited. As I stated before we had good LB's and Secondary, but not much else. And when it comes to your comment about Daily being brought in to run the spread. Do you really think that he could run a spread? That requires more throwing than the WCO does and we have seen how terrible of a QB he is. Then do you really think that Frank/Barney could coach a spread offense? And as much the fan base hates the WCO because of the weather in Lincoln, why do these same people think a spread would work? It makes no sense to me at all.

Actually it hasn't, but it doesn't hurt. I think the bar is actually around 3.3, but I will pull out some old charts to verify. Also by this logic, you should be happy with what Bo and Co did last year and are track to do this year.

I will be if he can keep that rating with a full class of 18 kids. As of now we have 9 commits and one month to signing day.