Tonight at the BOB.........

Comish

I know that (comparatively), there is a paucity of traffic on the basketball forum. And, I read on these pages how bad we are and how seriously we are going to get trounced in the BIG (with 7 of our first 8 against ranked teams) and how Doc is inexplicably enigmatic with his substitution patterns, time outs, and end-of-game strategy.

ALL DEFENDABLY TRUE.

I also know that we are playing Wisconsin who leads the nation in scoring defense at 44.7 points a game, is 2nd in field goal defense (33.8), 3rd in 3 point defense (23.7). and 1ST in fewest turnovers (8.3) I also recognize that they are ranked 11th in the country and we have struggled to look very organized in the first 11 games. Oh, and our center (Diaz) is out, our best shooter (Talley) is out and our best offensive rebounder (Walker) is also probably out. It is at home although the Devaney often lives up to it’s nickname as the Library because it’s so quiet, students are gone and a lot of the fans are at, or on their way to Orlando.

AGAIN, ALL TRUE.

BUT, there are a few things in our favor. We do have more talent then we’ve shown thus far and it may be time for it to show up. Wisconsin is not a team to run up the points like a Kansas or Texas, so our offense does not have to do much more than usual in terms of total points, just be more efficient (and get to the line). We don’t face a huge deficit in size or quickness. I maintain this will be a close game. IF, we shoot the ball well and out-scrap them; IF we have a vocal and impressive crowd, I think we have a decent shot. I’ll say 40%

The one factor we can count on is that Doc is an aggressive defensive coach and any game that only goes to 50 or so, he is going to have us competitive. I just don’t see this as a blowout.

I’ll be leaving after while for the BOB to see if any of this has a prayer of coming to fruition.