The elephant in the living room

Generally his actions have been directed at officials and not necessarily individual players. I wish he would lose that face he shows up with when he gets upset however. I have yet to see a call overturned because the coach looks like a physcho!

I have yet to ever see a call get overturned after it was made and processed PERIOD. Of course there's always the thought it could hurt in future calls, which is complete bs.

It is not complete BS. I would bet the ranch that some of Bo's (or any coaches) ranting and raving will cause them to get some calls and also to lose some calls. Those guys in stripes are not as completely unbiased as you would like to think they are. If Bo is on their case for calling holding on us and not the other team, that will likely cause 1 of 2 things to happen. The refs will either watch closer to see if they are missing something or they will develope a bit of an attitude and not give him the benefit of the doubt. I would guess it's about 50/50 over the course of a season. But saying it doesn't influence them is incorrect. But, it is correct to say that it will not influence a call that has already been made.

You missinterpreted my bs I think. I dont think it's bs that it has happened or may happen, but the fact that has or could is bs. Officials have job to do and they should never let the emotions resulting of one call dictate a call or two later on. That is what's bs.

Case in point: (and it's in a different profession, so a little outside this forum...but bear with me) I've been in a job where you work day-to-day with very volatile individuals. Most of the time it isn't too bad, but it can be very stressful. You get someone with a reputation who comes up to you and starts yelling and screaming, and you automatically become defensive. You've done what you've been trained to do, you do it the best way you know how, and then you're thrown into a hornet's nest. I know for a fact I've jumped the gun and made decisions based on the temperament of the individual. I was professional, and made sure I went back and reciprocated appropriately. But that wouldn't fix a college football situation.

So I don't condone the actions of some refs...but I can understand why they may make some of the decisions that they do.

Generally his actions have been directed at officials and not necessarily individual players. I wish he would lose that face he shows up with when he gets upset however. I have yet to see a call overturned because the coach looks like a physcho!

I have yet to ever see a call get overturned after it was made and processed PERIOD. Of course there's always the thought it could hurt in future calls, which is complete bs.

It is not complete BS. I would bet the ranch that some of Bo's (or any coaches) ranting and raving will cause them to get some calls and also to lose some calls. Those guys in stripes are not as completely unbiased as you would like to think they are. If Bo is on their case for calling holding on us and not the other team, that will likely cause 1 of 2 things to happen. The refs will either watch closer to see if they are missing something or they will develope a bit of an attitude and not give him the benefit of the doubt. I would guess it's about 50/50 over the course of a season. But saying it doesn't influence them is incorrect. But, it is correct to say that it will not influence a call that has already been made.

You missinterpreted my bs I think. I dont think it's bs that it has happened or may happen, but the fact that has or could is bs. Officials have job to do and they should never let the emotions resulting of one call dictate a call or two later on. That is what's bs.

Case in point: (and it's in a different profession, so a little outside this forum...but bear with me) I've been in a job where you work day-to-day with very volatile individuals. Most of the time it isn't too bad, but it can be very stressful. You get someone with a reputation who comes up to you and starts yelling and screaming, and you automatically become defensive. You've done what you've been trained to do, you do it the best way you know how, and then you're thrown into a hornet's nest. I know for a fact I've jumped the gun and made decisions based on the temperament of the individual. I was professional, and made sure I went back and reciprocated appropriately. But that wouldn't fix a college football situation.

So I don't condone the actions of some refs...but I can understand why they may make some of the decisions that they do.

Exactly, I understand why it has happened, or can, but it doesnt change the fact that they need to do their job with their feelings dicatating future decisions.

it's like yelling at a police officer who stops you for speeding........oh yeah, you're gonna get the ticket, but if you yell loud enough you may get another.....and another....and

refs are the police officers of the college football game and they will likely impose their will more often against a coach who has a reputation like Pelini's.....it's just human nature.

Parents of our guys love Bo Pelini. Remember the Starling's comments last year? You will not find too many that are any different than those.

Our football team loves playing for Bo Pelini. Matt Davidson echoes this same thing whenever asked.

Parents of our guys love Bo Pelini. Remember the Starling's comments last year? You will not find too many that are any different than those.

Our football team loves playing for Bo Pelini. Matt Davidson echoes this same thing whenever asked.

Exactly. I think what people don't realize is coaches develop relationships with recruits and parents. They get more exposure to Pelini than the bullsh#t the media tries to spew.

Yep, I took it the wrong way- my bad. I agree that, if it happens, it's bs. But from my experience reffing, I can tell you there is not a whole lot a human being can do about it. It will put it in your mind and it has a high probablility of skewing future calls.

I had the honor of interacting briefly with Bo, his family, and members of the team in a non-football related setting recently. From my observations, I saw players who loved their coach, and a coach who loved his players. And it was pretty obvious.

Exactly. Which reiterates my point. If for some reason we get rid of him because lack of championships, his attitude with media, or the other etc. reasons that have been mentioned on here (I believe Osborne to see Bo for what he truly is, and hopefully that is as good as most of us think), then this program is doomed for many years to come. Our current players will hold a grudge and we will again be the team that fired a perennial 9 win coach. I just cant believe it would ever come to that, but there are some on here that are fed up with him, and if you get just a few with enough power in the pocket book feeling the same way, then $hit could hit the fan. Then god help us.

I've heard through players that as hard and screaming he is on game day, he is that kind and understanding other times. They have said he is much like a dad that when he yells at you you deserve it. I'm sure that's or or less what comes out during recruiting.

Dads are allowed to yell at their children?!

I thought we were supposed to give them timeouts and discuss our feelings and finger paint or whatevs

I just cant believe it would ever come to that, but there are some on here that are fed up with him, and if you get just a few with enough power in the pocket book feeling the same way, then $hit could hit the fan. Then god help us.

The way people talk/act/whatever on the internet never reflects real life. Let's start there. You can't judge a single thing by what people say or do on the internet, especially a forum like this.

Second, anyone associated with the university that tries to use money as leverage to get rid of Bo is probably going to run up against Osborne. Osborne is one step down from a god in this state. And quite frankly, as much as football is a religion in Nebraska, Osborne is their god. So in short, as long as Osborne is there and is supporting Bo, he's not going anywhere.

I've heard through players that as hard and screaming he is on game day, he is that kind and understanding other times. They have said he is much like a dad that when he yells at you you deserve it. I'm sure that's or or less what comes out during recruiting.

Dads are allowed to yell at their children?!

I thought we were supposed to give them timeouts and discuss our feelings and finger paint or whatevs

Much nicer than dads did in my generation. We got our @ss whopped

Bo has made progress this year on the subject of criticizing players to the media. This year after almost every game he talked about how proud he is of the team. Last year...not so much. He still has to stop blowing a gasket with the refs. That looks really bad and the tv cameras eat it up. Can't be good for recruiting.

I just cant believe it would ever come to that, but there are some on here that are fed up with him, and if you get just a few with enough power in the pocket book feeling the same way, then $hit could hit the fan. Then god help us.

The way people talk/act/whatever on the internet never reflects real life. Let's start there. You can't judge a single thing by what people say or do on the internet, especially a forum like this.

Second, anyone associated with the university that tries to use money as leverage to get rid of Bo is probably going to run up against Osborne. Osborne is one step down from a god in this state. And quite frankly, as much as football is a religion in Nebraska, Osborne is their god. So in short, as long as Osborne is there and is supporting Bo, he's not going anywhere.

You make a good point. Here's my rebuttle. As great as Osborne is, if you put together a handful of major donors that march in and say it's time for Bo to go and that a change needs to be made, then I bet Osborne wouldnt be as strong we think he is with millions of dollars of "substance" hanging in the balance. How do you think Pedersen was ousted. Now I know that decision was supported by the entire fan base, but I know for a fact it started with the resignation of a major dept fundraiser and escalated with numerous other boosters calling for Pedersen be gone. I would bet Pearlman wouldnt have pulled the plug on Pedersen if not pressure from the high rollers. Sadly it's how the world works, the pocket books have the power. I'm not speculating that is the case at this point but just saying if it ever becomes so, and Bo was let go, This program would never rebound.