First Post

That's a lot of hopefully and a lot of needs to get better. We are on the same page, then? ;)

If Taylor were deadly with his scrambling and mobility inside and outside of the pocket, he could be pretty deadly, period. If we're going to have a running QB, let's get one with shake-and-bake and dynamic running ability, not one who will burn you if given a hole to burst through but is otherwise helpless.

That's a lot of hopefully and a lot of needs to get better. We are on the same page, then? ;)

If Taylor were deadly with his scrambling and mobility inside and outside of the pocket, he could be pretty deadly, period. If we're going to have a running QB, let's get one with shake-and-bake and dynamic running ability, not one who will burn you if given a hole to burst through but is otherwise helpless.

I think ALL of Nebraska's players need to get better. I'm more optimistic than most about Taylor because I already think he's pretty darn good, and most of the improvement needed is mental, not physical. As opposed to a guy like Rex, who is mentally as sharp as you're going to get, but may be more limited physically than some other RBs. (For example, I tend to think that Martinez's lack of 80 yard runs this year has less to do with him not being as explosive, and more to do with defenses not being worried that Rex Burkhead is going to go 80 yards the other way, like Roy Helu could).

I see people constantly say, "Well, we should get a QB who can do this or this or this." If we could come up with some hybrid clone of Peyton Manning and Michael Vick, I think those people would be happy. But there's no such thing as the perfect dual-threat QB, and in college, you can't just hire whoever you want. Right now, we have Martinez and Carnes, neither of whom are perfect.

I guess instead of wishing we had someone else, I try to look at the positives we had from QB play (of which there are many), and I realize that QB play was far from the issue that caused us to lose games this year. Shoddy defense, special teams implosions, and lack of discipline where much bigger problems than QB play. In addition, the offensive line, wide receivers, defensive line, and secondary were all position groups that were more inconsistent and more accurately the reason for our struggles this year than QB play. Why aren't there 3 billion threads about those issues?

My major complaint is that Nebraska fears running quarterbacks but the opposition does not fear Nebraska's running QB. The huskers fear running quarterbacks so much that the DL does not even rush the passer in order to prevent long scrambles. On the other hand how many times have we seen Martinez break out of the pocket and scramble for a big gain or a big 1st down? Opposing defenses don't reduce their rush pressure so Martinez can be contained. Why have a running QB only for designed runs? Nebraska should benefit from a running QB on pass plays, and Nebraska should be able to rush the passer and contain a scrambling QB.

Nebraska really needs to exploit this next season.

I think ALL of Nebraska's players need to get better. I'm more optimistic than most about Taylor because I already think he's pretty darn good, and most of the improvement needed is mental, not physical. As opposed to a guy like Rex, who is mentally as sharp as you're going to get, but may be more limited physically than some other RBs. (For example, I tend to think that Martinez's lack of 80 yard runs this year has less to do with him not being as explosive, and more to do with defenses not being worried that Rex Burkhead is going to go 80 yards the other way, like Roy Helu could).

I see people constantly say, "Well, we should get a QB who can do this or this or this." If we could come up with some hybrid clone of Peyton Manning and Michael Vick, I think those people would be happy. But there's no such thing as the perfect dual-threat QB, and in college, you can't just hire whoever you want. Right now, we have Martinez and Carnes, neither of whom are perfect.

I guess instead of wishing we had someone else, I try to look at the positives we had from QB play (of which there are many), and I realize that QB play was far from the issue that caused us to lose games this year. Shoddy defense, special teams implosions, and lack of discipline where much bigger problems than QB play. In addition, the offensive line, wide receivers, defensive line, and secondary were all position groups that were more inconsistent and more accurately the reason for our struggles this year than QB play. Why aren't there 3 billion threads about those issues?

I am not anti Martinez nor am I am in pro Martinez. I just find it odd that Nebraska is so afraid of a running QB that the DL will not rush the passer yet Nebraska's running QB rarely looks to scramble out of the pocket. This has to be due to coaching. I would also like to see Martinez run with more authority. If Martinez dives for the endzone in the citrus bowl I think he scores. Instead he steps out at the 8 yard line. This also has to be coaching. What happened to Nebraska never runs out of bounds and Nebraska QBs running over defenders?

MichiganDad, I do think that Taylor had some aggression coached out of him. I think they wanted him to protect himself more this year, even if it cost him some yards. He was never Frazier/Frost/Crouch going into contact, but he was definitely more tentative at times this year, and I agree that it was coaching that led him to that. At the end of the day, maybe the coaches are still glad they did it, since he did stay healthy basically all season.

And on a sidenote, after complaining about how there are always so many QB threads instead of addressing more important issues, here's a shout out for TommyT1988 who actually started a thread about our line play!

What we need is a difference maker at the QB position. I am not giving up on our sophomore QB and it is interesting that the people who initially thought Zac Lee should start last year are the ones that are now somewhat defending TMart. The ones that wanted to toss him the keys to the car are now the ones that are saying he isn't the guy for the job.

What we need to do is get Fuller to Nebraska. Him and Tommy Armstrong are the kids that will push TMart every single day for that spot. We need an immense amount of competition at the QB position. Unfortunate that Starling didnt get here because just having him on campus would have helped our QB play tenfold in my eyes.

It's also no coincidence that the best team in the league this year, Wisconsin, had a great offensive line to support Wilson and Ball.

this is why burkhead is so unappreciated. he looks so impressive because he has no line. he gets every yard on his own.

It's also why Burkhead is better than Montee Ball.

Badgerfan arrives to defend Ball in 3... 2.... 1....

I read today that Montee Ball is returning for his senior year-could be interesting!

It's also no coincidence that the best team in the league this year, Wisconsin, had a great offensive line to support Wilson and Ball.

this is why burkhead is so unappreciated. he looks so impressive because he has no line. he gets every yard on his own.

I read today that Montee Ball is returning for his senior year-could be interesting!

ALL OF YOU SAID HE WAS LEAVING...Time to eat crow... chuckleshuffle

Apparently all the Badgerfan baiting happened before I could get in on the fun... post redacted.

[ this is why burkhead is so unappreciated. he looks so impressive because he has no line. he gets every yard on his own.

***Required Badgerfan Rant***

So yea...take that.

chuckleshuffle

There must be a Huskerboard hotel around here I don't know about.

That or Badger has some kind of Bat Signal set up for references to himself or Ball. That was his first post on HB since last night, and he made it within five minutes of my post. Scary.

MON

TEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-wTbNIsopg&feature=related

I sorta remember my 1st post was complaining about a thread being moved and BRI (back before he was a Mod, and before he had his first 10,000 posts) telling me I should leave if I didn't like it.

But I'm still having trouble remembering the last time we didn't have to make excuses for our QB's throwing ability..Vince Ferrigamo? Dave Humm? Nobody counts Sam Kellor anymore, but he could spiral an empty drink cup like you wouldn't believe..

TM seemed to be more comfortable with the offense this season..It still hurts to watch him throw, but they seem to be getting closer to the right guy..And They're still dropping them on que..

I really miss the super quick burst of speed from the previous season..That may be to help protect him, or it might be still lingering injury that may never heal quite right..but I still miss it

The QB is not the problem. I've come to understand that the OL is not the problem. The defense isn't totally the problem either. Our biggest problem is mental. We played pretty darn good football for a quarter and a half against Wisconsin only to get blown out. We did the same against South Carolina. When the tough got going, we packed our suitcases. This team is mentally soft. The OL was blocking rather well against South Carolina. At one time I thought most of the offense's problem was the OL, but I don't really think it is. They play great for a while until something bad happens, and then they fold. Receivers start dropping balls. It's the entire team that seems to fold. We are our own worst enemy. Watching Clemson get schooled by West Virginia last night reminded me of how we played a few games this year.

Very interesting post.

I'm still in the Oline is crap camp but you're certainly right that "at times" they actually do look pretty damn good. I just don't get it. Or why our WRs drop balls all over the place every bloody year?

Hey, your theory is as good as I've heard and you very well may be right. Or at least to some degree. Maybe we need the Peter brothers to come in and start slapping some of our player around for awhile. Totally un-PC but cfb isn't about who hugs the tree the longest, right?

Hell, we've got to try something....