Chatelain: With NU turnovers, foes take away wins

NUance

Amazing article by Dirk, same problems keep haunting Nebraska and costing them wins along with the penalties, discipline once again is killing the Huskers.

Penalties definetly can be cured as it is a discipline issue, IMO. The fumbles (by us) are often bad luck on our part or luck on their's.

I often wonder if the problem is an issue of a team (us) that doesn't aggresively try cause turnovers during games or practice. We start to think we have the fumbles cured because we don't do it in practice. This is because we do not try to really cause fumbles or take aways during practice and we get a false sense of security. We get into games and then ball hawking teams expose our lack of exposure to a D that goes for the ball. Goes back to Bo's own philosophy of playing how you practice. We never see a good D do it in practice and good one's eat us alive in games.

I look at 2003 with the Bullocks and Super D and ask myself where in the heck that Bo is. He unleashed Super D and allowed the secondary to lead the league in INT's and IIRC BUllocks tied the single season INT record. It is obvious Bo knows take aways and it is obvious he can get the guys to play at that level. He was only there that year and got those records as well as Ruuds single season tackle record only to have it beaten last year by David. Again under Bo. Bo needs to take over the D and get it clicking with the aggressive ball hawking play of 2003 and either change his D scheme or find away to have some of the guys do their best SUH imitation.

I would aslo like to see the staff start to remind the D line that batting balls as the LOS is not only acceptable, but a great strategy as well.

Thanks Dirk. I dont know how much I couldve moved forward without knowing SOMETHING I ALREADY KNEW. :ahhhhhhhh

I havent read any previous post, so if it hasnt already happened I apologize for turning this into a bash Dirk thread, but I cant help it, the guy is such a cornhole.

You knew the turnover margin since Bo's arrival was -8? You knew the that of the 25 winningest programs in the past four years, Nebraska ranked 25th in turnover margin? You knew that the Buckeyes were plus 53 in the same timespan? You knew that we are 0-9 against ranked teams under Bo when losing the turnover battle, and 4-0 when winning it? ;)

At least for me, there was some interesting factual information laid out in this article.

Or was it just the name of the author which you disagree with?

Thanks Dirk. I dont know how much I couldve moved forward without knowing SOMETHING I ALREADY KNEW. :ahhhhhhhh

I havent read any previous post, so if it hasnt already happened I apologize for turning this into a bash Dirk thread, but I cant help it, the guy is such a cornhole.

You knew the turnover margin since Bo's arrival was -8? You knew the that of the 25 winningest programs in the past four years, Nebraska ranked 25th in turnover margin? You knew that the Buckeyes were plus 53 in the same timespan? You knew that we are 0-9 against ranked teams under Bo when losing the turnover battle, and 4-0 when winning it? ;)

At least for me, there was some interesting factual information laid out in this article.

Or was it just the name of the author which you disagree with?

I could have found out those stats too, if I wasn't so lazy. :LOLtartar

I still find it very interesting that the defense and offense have two separate mindsets on this team. The defense makes mistakes, but doesn't really seem to let the game slip from their hands. The offense, however, has proven itself to be very fickle the last couple of years.

Dunno about that--for every South Carolina, we had an Ohio State where the offense was able to bounce back and forget/overcome their errors. And the Michigan game was chock full of denfensive choke-jobs, if we want to be honest with ourselves here.

I still find it very interesting that the defense and offense have two separate mindsets on this team. The defense makes mistakes, but doesn't really seem to let the game slip from their hands. The offense, however, has proven itself to be very fickle the last couple of years.

Dunno about that--for every South Carolina, we had an Ohio State where the offense was able to bounce back and forget/overcome their errors. And the Michigan game was chock full of denfensive choke-jobs, if we want to be honest with ourselves here.

We have? I seem to remember WAY more South Carolina type games than I do tOSU type games. Could you give some examples?

We have? I seem to remember WAY more South Carolina type games than I do tOSU type games. Could you give some examples?

Fresno State and Washington come to mind. And I would count Michigan and Wisconsin among our 'South Carolina' type games...

I have to say, this year really changed my thinking on this.

The defense lacked fire all year. Outside of guys like Lavonte and Fonzie, who were always up for a challenge, I think we saw a lot of lackadaisical demeanor out of those guys. It was more than lack of fire, at times, they quit. This was most evident in the play of the DL this entire year.

The offense was inconsistent too and deserves its share of the blame. They do get credit, however, for showing the pluck they did against Ohio State, as well as more life in down situations than they did last year.

But in terms of mindset, I think the defense is at least as at fault this year, if not even worse.

I have to say, this year really changed my thinking on this.

The defense lacked fire all year. Outside of guys like Lavonte and Fonzie, who were always up for a challenge, I think we saw a lot of lackadaisical demeanor out of those guys. It was more than lack of fire, at times, they quit. This was most evident in the play of the DL this entire year.

The offense was inconsistent too and deserves its share of the blame. They do get credit, however, for showing the pluck they did against Ohio State, as well as more life in down situations than they did last year.

But in terms of mindset, I think the defense is at least as at fault this year, if not even worse.

I could understand that argument for this year because the defense really only had two guys who I thought played outstanding football all year, and their names go without saying. But 2009 and 2010 specifically come to mind for me because those defenses could have won championships imho. The fact that one side of the ball was so destructively bad at times, while the other side played far more consistent, is somewhat baffling (in reference to '09 and '10).