Just a thought...

The coaching staff must establish an identity for the program. Bottom line.

Recruits, especially top ones, need assurance that they'll have a chance to excell and show their talents at whatever school they sign with to enhance their shot at the NFL. I believe this is why NU had as much success as it had in the T.O. era.

The man had a proven, winning scheme and it attracted the best RB's, TE's, QB's, and linemen to the program. Put it all together and you get a couple of National Titles, you see?

What we have in place now is a decent coach with an unproven system. Top players will not put themselves in this type of situation. That is why the team looks the way it does now. The Huskers have a lot of mid-grade recruits on the field on the strength of Cally's NFL experience, but not enough top-shelf players because a lot of those kids don't see a winner in him. Sad but true. I could guarantee Notre Dame won't have a recruting problem with Charlie Weis at the helm. Why? You know why, count the rings. High school athletes see it just as we fans see it. Those kids he coached came out with almost the same lineup against the same USC team they lost to by 30 the last few meetings and took them to the brink (in my opinion, beat 'em). Why? They believed in the man and his philosophy. This same Irish team will be poised for a title run next season with a Heisman candidate at QB and a killer recruiting class. Sounds like those old Huskers, huh?

Coach Cally just doesn't have that championship aura surronding him. He's a decent coach that's capable of decent records. Us followers of the Cornhuskers don't want decency... we want to win in dominating fashion and get some Titles. He's had time and hasn't shown that capability. Personally, I feel it's time for a change. Not neccessarily back to the 'beloved option', but to a proven, confident coach that can get us back to prominence. Not having Nebraska in the top 10 in the end and beginning of the year talking about a possible title hurts the program in more ways than you could imagine.

As much as I agree with most of what you have written, I totally DISAGREE with the end of the post

You can not logically make a coaching change at this point... A change would set the program back another 3-4 years.. Experts say that BC should receive 3-4 years to get the system established with proper players to run the WCO.

He is still using a number of guys who came to NU to run-block, block 1st-catch 2nd.... plus, the guys whom BC recruited to run his system are only in their 1st year of D1 football.

If you bring in another coach, you probably lose most, if not all, of this staff, who by the way recruit their a$$ off.. and now you have a new coach that brings in his "own system" and philosophy, and once agian, the players that BC recruited may not fit..... Can't you see the vicious cycle that will begin if you start changing coaches without giving them the proper amount of time

It is funny that last year, everyone acknowledged that Husker Nation needed to be patient, and all of us agreed to some point....but, wow, it is easier to say be patient, than to ACTUALLY BE PATIENT !!!!

The coaching staff must establish an identity for the program. Bottom line.

Recruits, especially top ones, need assurance that they'll have a chance to excell and show their talents at whatever school they sign with to enhance their shot at the NFL. I believe this is why NU had as much success as it had in the T.O. era.

The man had a proven, winning scheme and it attracted the best RB's, TE's, QB's, and linemen to the program. Put it all together and you get a couple of National Titles, you see?

What we have in place now is a decent coach with an unproven system. Top players will not put themselves in this type of situation. That is why the team looks the way it does now. The Huskers have a lot of mid-grade recruits on the field on the strength of Cally's NFL experience, but not enough top-shelf players because a lot of those kids don't see a winner in him. Sad but true. I could guarantee Notre Dame won't have a recruting problem with Charlie Weis at the helm. Why? You know why, count the rings. High school athletes see it just as we fans see it. Those kids he coached came out with almost the same lineup against the same USC team they lost to by 30 the last few meetings and took them to the brink (in my opinion, beat 'em). Why? They believed in the man and his philosophy. This same Irish team will be poised for a title run next season with a Heisman candidate at QB and a killer recruiting class. Sounds like those old Huskers, huh?

Coach Cally just doesn't have that championship aura surronding him. He's a decent coach that's capable of decent records. Us followers of the Cornhuskers don't want decency... we want to win in dominating fashion and get some Titles. He's had time and hasn't shown that capability. Personally, I feel it's time for a change. Not neccessarily back to the 'beloved option', but to a proven, confident coach that can get us back to prominence. Not having Nebraska in the top 10 in the end and beginning of the year talking about a possible title hurts the program in more ways than you could imagine.

Hmmm...I have to disagree somewhat.

1. While a lot of kids look for the "hot" team (meaning a winner), just as many look for a team that runs a pro-style offense, has the possiblity of early playing time, gets on TV a lot, has a major night-life, and so on. In the case of Weiss, I do think that he will be able to have his pick. Not because of the rings, though. Because he was an NFL coach. Kids see that, and think that they'll be taught by someone who will get them to the NFL. Kids today have incredibly short attention spans - the ones being recruited right now probably can't tell you much about Callahan, other than he was in the NFL or coached the Raiders. If they know anything about his record, most likely the only thing is that he was in the Super Bowl. But even that recent occurrence is ancient history to kids today.

2. Changing coaches now would do NU good only if NU could be absolutely assured that the new coach could be an immediate winner. I don't see many candidates out there that fit the bill. Absent that, changing coaches now would simply set the team back. First, firing a coach after two years is a clear signal that longevity is not an option - and coaches (at least proven coaches) will shy away from that situation. Second, it means that any recruiting "ins" we have are lost. Third, it means that the current players will have to learn yet another system - different techniques and different terminology. They will be starting from the bottom yet again.

It remains to be proven whether Callahan is the answer. But dumping him now only hurts us.

If BC gets shown the door, there is no way any coach worth his salt will even consider taking the NU coaching job. When Solich was fired, Pud had a hell of a time trying to get anyone interested in taking the job. By firing BC, the best we can hope for is a young unproven coach who is looking for a chance. Not saying this would be bad, but it sure would be like playing Russian Rouillet!

I think it would be catastrophic to hire another coach right now, especially one that introduced another offense. That would be more rebuilding and starting from scratch for the second time in 3 years. No way Jose. I think after several more years, IF the WCO has not worked, and I hope it does and think it could, that we go back to what made us, option-attack offense(which is not dead BTW).

If BC gets shown the door, there is no way any coach worth his salt will even consider taking the NU coaching job. When Solich was fired, Pud had a hell of a time trying to get anyone interested in taking the job. By firing BC, the best we can hope for is a young unproven coach who is looking for a chance. Not saying this would be bad, but it sure would be like playing Russian Rouillet!

You're right. We don't want to go through what Alabama has gone through. Fired coach after coach and never know when the right one may come along and put us on Sports Illustrated again.

My personal opinon on the firing of this staff, would be the end of Nebraska football. There are very few draws to Nebraska. Tradition to young kids is just window dressing, they truly could care less if we won a million games. What are you doing for me today. Show me the money and how quickly will I be on Sports Center

We have a Super Bowl coach, that is the only thing getting top kids to even consider Nebraska. A new offense that they can identify with.

BC must stay and he must suceed, if not and he is fired within the next year or two, as stated no one would take the job. If you remember no one wanted the job in the first place. Too much preasure, a dificult area to recruit to, weather, no nite life, and tractors. Kinda pales to other more exciting places.

Forget the option and move on. This staff is doing a great job with what they have to work with. It will take more time and top recruiting to get us anywhere near the top ten. I have been saying that for two years. Some on here get their panties in a wad talking about CCG, BCS and MNC. It is not going to happen for at least a couple more years. We were so far down we needed a phone to reach the top. Steps are moving us in the right direction, changing the course now will end this storied program.

I'm not a Callahan supporter, but firing him now and paying the balance of his contract is crazy talk. Give him his 6 yrs and about 40 wins and send him packing. The schedule this year was a gimme for a bowl game and a winning season and now a 6-5 season is looked upon as successful. What are we? Baylor?

Maybe Bill's a good coach, maybe not, I'm just not sure he was the right choice for NU but we have to see this through.

This staff has had barely enough time to get their own personal Husker clothing apparel put together let alone a team. If they can keep recruiting the way they have so far than we should see a run at the Big 12 title in 2007 and a run at it all in 2008. If not than maybe it will be time for this staff to step down. Besides I haven't heard anyone even come up with a name that would solve the "supposed" coaching problem we seem to have. It would be different if this staff was still trying to run the option, than yeah run them out of town. We have to give this offence a chance . They think they have the q/b to run it with Beck, the r/b in Lucky, a couple of more w/r and a few more o/l or a least some more time with what we have to learn the blocking schemes. This doesn't happen over night. Thats why they recruit new players every year and thats why coaches don't sign 1 yr contracts.

GBR!!!

I just heard on the radio last night where Weiss will make a little over 4 million a year. I'm not sure if this is a bonus or if this is what he was scheduled to be paid. This is almost 2 million more than Stoops or Carroll. If NU has to get into a bidding war for one of the best coaches, I'm afraid we've already lost. With the way things are shaking down and the money being thrown around in college sports, we may have already lost the NU football we were once accustomed to. That stellar coach Nutt who used NU as a bartering chip at Arkansas to get a raise, he's more than likely history after this year according to what I've read.

If we had it to do all over again, I wish Pud would have given Solich one more year. I'm not saying great things would have happened, but Butch Davis would have been available to coach this year. Davis took a Miami team on probation and brought them back to where they are now. Miami's team wasn't built by Coker, it was built by Davis. IMO, Davis would have been a much better fit at NU than BC. He combined power running with the passing game. Also, he had some monsters on defense.

Does Bill Snyder have any top assistants left? Lincoln may be a hard place to recruit to, but it is nothing compared to Manhattan, KS. I realize Snyder's assistants have been picked over pretty hard the last 7 years, but one of his top assistants could be a good fit for NU. If we really want to fall like a ton of bricks, I guess we could take a look at Neuheisel. Not only will we not win, we'll be in tremendous trouble with the NCAA while he's here. One thing for sure, if Blake ever becomes our HC I will see if I can get my transcript changed from University of Nebraska Lincoln to University of Nebraska Kearney!

I'm not a Callahan supporter, but firing him now and paying the balance of his contract is crazy talk. Give him his 6 yrs and about 40 wins and send him packing. The schedule this year was a gimme for a bowl game and a winning season and now a 6-5 season is looked upon as successful. What are we? Baylor?

Maybe Bill's a good coach, maybe not, I'm just not sure he was the right choice for NU but we have to see this through.

Two words. Houston Nutt. nuff said.

Coach Cally just doesn't have that championship aura surronding him.

:wtf It's crisis not crises (whatever that is).

Speaking of :wtf . What are you talking about, aura?? Can you see an aura around anyone else? What does a championship aura look like? Would anyone recognize one or do you need special training/glasses?? Or do you need to be "special" to see it? Just wondering. :horns2

I keed, I keed

Coach Cally just doesn't have that championship aura surronding him.

:wtf It's crisis not crises (whatever that is).

Speaking of :wtf . What are you talking about, aura?? Can you see an aura around anyone else? What does a championship aura look like? Would anyone recognize one or do you need special training/glasses?? Or do you need to be "special" to see it? Just wondering. :horns2

I keed, I keed

see -- Charlie Weis.

aura's? are you guys shrooming? when i look at charlie weis i see a guy who may very well be the only man in college football who could stand a chance against mangino in a fat contest.

i am a Callahan supporter but i have my grievances with him. I think he should let the offensive coordinator call more of the plays. Norvell is in the booth and can see what happens on the field better.

aura's?  are you guys shrooming?  when i look at charlie weis i see a guy who may very well be the only man in college football who could stand a chance against mangino in a fat contest.  

:yeah:rollin

I'm sorry, Mr. turkwilliams, I don't see an "aura" around Weis either. And you'd think that he'd have a BIG one. Maybe ya need 3-d glasses or something! Maybe he has a "mystique" instead. Can ya see a "mystique"?? :horns2