Four Huskers invited to the NFL Combine

knapplc

Lavonte David, Jared Crick, Alfonzo Dennard and Marcel Jones have been invited to the NFL Combine this year.

Congratulations, guys.

Good news for them! I think they all have something to gain from the NFL Combine, especially Lavonte David.... David could considerably enhance his draft stock with a good performance, and I fully expect him too do that.... Congratulations, Huskers!!

• Fire 1

Will Crick be able to preform the bench press.

Crick has been lifting weights since just before the bowl game, but I doubt he gives it a serious go at the Combine. The bench is a poor place to test a torn pec.

@Lyons - I think David will fare very well in the 40. Have no idea how he'll do compared to other LBs in the bench or vert compared to other OLBs.

I was hoping to see Terrance Moore or maybe Mike Caputo get an invite. Either of these guys could possibly make a roster. A good combine could get them drafted, or at least an early FA offer. Caputo might be a long shot. He is a bit small for NFL pass protection.

I was hoping to see Terrance Moore or maybe Mike Caputo get an invite. Either of these guys could possibly make a roster. A good combine could get them drafted, or at least an early FA offer. Caputo might be a long shot. He is a bit small for NFL pass protection.

Mike Caputo is 6 foot 1 275 pounds playing center. In the NFL the average offensive lineman is between 300 and 330 pounds. Most DT's and NT's in the NFL are pushing the 285 to 310 pound mark. If Caputo ever signs a contract for an NFL team I would be shocked. As much as people have bitched about our offensive line and their inabilities to block, I am amazed people around Nebraska are so high on Caputo. I know he's a Nebraska kid and a walk on but as a center, he was responsible for making the calls up front on blocking assignments. Our offensive line has never really been very dominant since Caputo took over, we've been very inconsistent with all the false starts and missed blocking assignments. He clearly struggled recognizing defensive alignments and not only that, he was physically dominated repeatedly in games at Nebraska. The Texas AnM game comes to mind instantly. NT's were very hard for him to deal with. In the NFL it would not be pretty for him. I'm really excited to see one of our young center's on the roster take the spot over and maybe help show some improvement across the offensive line as a whole. Unfortunately, with this coaching staffs baffling decision to not give any other center game time snaps this year, it will probably be a very tough first few games or more before the center gets a real level of comfort out there. But I guess you could pretty much say that across the board for this team........

• Fire 1

Mike Caputo is 6 foot 1 275 pounds playing center. In the NFL the average offensive lineman is between 300 and 330 pounds. Most DT's and NT's in the NFL are pushing the 285 to 310 pound mark. If Caputo ever signs a contract for an NFL team I would be shocked. As much as people have bitched about our offensive line and their inabilities to block, I am amazed people around Nebraska are so high on Caputo. I know he's a Nebraska kid and a walk on but as a center, he was responsible for making the calls up front on blocking assignments. Our offensive line has never really been very dominant since Caputo took over, we've been very inconsistent with all the false starts and missed blocking assignments. He clearly struggled recognizing defensive alignments and not only that, he was physically dominated repeatedly in games at Nebraska. The Texas AnM game comes to mind instantly. NT's were very hard for him to deal with. In the NFL it would not be pretty for him. I'm really excited to see one of our young center's on the roster take the spot over and maybe help show some improvement across the offensive line as a whole. Unfortunately, with this coaching staffs baffling decision to not give any other center game time snaps this year, it will probably be a very tough first few games or more before the center gets a real level of comfort out there. But I guess you could pretty much say that across the board for this team........

Yeah, I know Caputo would be a stretch to make a roster—a long stretch. That’s why I mentioned his size. But the was honorable mention All-big 10. So it’s not like he’s without talent. And Caputo only goes about 10 lbs lighter than David Molk, the Michigan C who won the Rimington this year. I was hoping Caputo would get a combine invite because he is very athletic for an O-lineman. He would do well in some of the drills they have at the combine. He’s probably nimble because he’s smaller than most guys at his position.

Agree 100%. I dont understand how people think he was that good. He was an average center on an average o-line. How dose he then go and compete against the best of the best? Jones is getting an invite because of his measurable and the fact that he was the best linemen (at times) we had imo but thats not saying much. Yoshi might get an invite but wouldnt be shocked if he didnt. He has a great motor but looks fat and plays fat. Other then the big 3 of ours, no one else really deserves an invite. GBR

I would even venture to say Caputo was less than 6'1". I stood next to the guy and I felt like we were the same height, and I'm a shade under 6 foot.

I think the most likely starter for next year is Cole Pensick, who is listed as 6'2" 285 pounds on Huskers.com