Lyell Bremser to be inducted into the Omaha Sports Hall of Fame

knapplc

From Sipple, via the LITR blogs:

'Man, woman and child!'

"Holy Toledo!" Lyell Bremser would exclaim.

"Man, woman and child!"

Legions of Nebraska football fans recall Bremser's distinctive voice. He was the team's play-by-play man for -- get this -- 45 years. According to Journal Star files, he began his broadcasting career at KFAB radio in 1939, retiring in 1983 after 494 Husker games.

Holy Toledo, indeed.

On April 19, the late Lyell Bremser will be formally inducted into the Omaha Sports Hall of Fame.

• Fire 1

Wow! How has this not happened sooner? Lyle was the absolute best. I've got clips of some of his radio calls on my iPod. Even the mention of his name takes me back to my youth, playing football with my buddies outside on a fall day and Lyle's voice blaring over the radio as we all imagined we were actual Cornhusker players.

Wow! How has this not happened sooner? Lyle was the absolute best. I've got clips of some of his radio calls on my iPod. Even the mention of his name takes me back to my youth, playing football with my buddies outside on a fall day and Lyle's voice blaring over the radio as we all imagined we were actual Cornhusker players.

Nice to hear others have these same great memories..........

Same memories for me. Every radio in the neighborhood, every Saturday. Congrats to him , He deserves it.

Lyell Bremser is already in the Nebraska Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame, inducted back in 1975.

This is just the Omaha Sports Hall of Fame, covering sports figures with some Omaha connection. The Omaha Sports Hall of Fame has only been around since 2006, so it's not like they've been in existence for ages and have snubbed Bremser. Bremser even has an award named after him with the Nebraska Football Hall of Fame, The Lyell Bremser Merit Award. There are lots of "halls of fame," and Lyell Bremser has his rightful place in them. This is just another honor being bestowed on him, posthumously, by yet another hall of fame.