Huskers v. Hoosiers

NUance

I've been a long time supporter of doc, but have come to the conclusion that "he ain't the guy."

I truly don't believe he coaches an effective offense - and that puts a product on the floor that's just not typically 'fun' for anyone (and with that, all the ramifications for the program...)

I'm in the same boat. I don't think Doc is the guy, long-term. His idea of offense is dreadful, and it's going to be hard to get recruits to commit to a program whose main goal each possession is to kill the shot clock. Doc is a great guy, and it'll be sad to see him go, but I don't see him here long-term, not without some major changes in his philosophy.

After coaching basketball for 12 years Ive had all sorts of teams.. And this is what I can tell you for sure. You can't get the type of kids to run the offense you want. Then you find guys who can play defense. And guys that can play defense always out number the ones that can score. I'd like to give doc 2 more years. It looks like his recruiting is finally balanced without the usual suspects of jucos and 7 foot foreign players that are slow and whos game is outdated compared to the foreign game today. He seemed to get the only foreign players that couldn't handle or shoot the ball with any range and it seemed like their only asset wass space eater.

Give doc 2 years to see what he can do with this different recruiting approach. Hopefully get lucky with avoiding injury for once, and the new facility. Clean slate so to speak. I think he has what it takes as far as coaching. I'm with ya Doc!! GBR HOOPS!

I've been a long time supporter of doc, but have come to the conclusion that "he ain't the guy."

I truly don't believe he coaches an effective offense - and that puts a product on the floor that's just not typically 'fun' for anyone (and with that, all the ramifications for the program...)

I'm in the same boat. I don't think Doc is the guy, long-term. His idea of offense is dreadful, and it's going to be hard to get recruits to commit to a program whose main goal each possession is to kill the shot clock. Doc is a great guy, and it'll be sad to see him go, but I don't see him here long-term, not without some major changes in his philosophy.

I've been singing this song for almost ALL of Doc's 6 years........................fans will be FAR more patient building a program if they are being simultaneously entertained.............thus a longer leash for the Doc if his losses are 95-90 (a la Billy Tubbs at multiple schools) rather than a coma inducing 45-40.

But the biggest issue is getting high caliber players to come where they HAVE FUN playing (i.e....up and down).

Recruiting, hell... I'd like to see this current group of players just given more rope - turned loose. (For instance, I think Tony has turned it on recently with what seemed to be a constant threat of being pulled from the game seemingly removed.) Guys will say that's just 'street ball'. Bullcrap. I think the guys we have now could 'run' effectively if given half a chance. Obviously that's not a base offense, but I think it's an important aspect that's being 'coached' out of them...

Recruiting, hell... I'd like to see this current group of players just given more rope - turned loose. (For instance, I think Tony has turned it on recently with what seemed to be a constant threat of being pulled from the game seemingly removed.) Guys will say that's just 'street ball'. Bullcrap. I think the guys we have now could 'run' effectively if given half a chance. Obviously that's not a base offense, but I think it's an important aspect that's being 'coached' out of them...

Correct on all points sir..................

But remember, for all Doc's attributes....................he is the most stubborn man I have ever witnessed................i.e. he has watched (like the rest of us) HIS team do appreciably better when unleashed/ running/ scoring/ being athletic/.............but he always reins them back in.................MADDENING.....................

just good to see increasing posts on this side of the board... Like I've said previously, "build it and they will come." We all love our Huskers, no matter what kind of uniform they wear. TO, are you listening?...

althought I seriously doubt he 'internets' much...

I saw that quote. Even Doc admits he's a defense-first guy. It's boring basketball, and I think it's a major reason why he has trouble getting players to come here.

See and that is why I am frustrated with Doc. In his intro presser he said it was going to be 90 feet of up and down action on his floor. Still have been waiting for that action.

That being said if it was an Iowa, Illinois, NW, Minnesota coming in this weekend I would say there was a chance for a momentum mini run for this team and fan morale would take overly geeked to near post Texas win levels of last year. Alas it is Mr Sullinger and Mr Buford that are coming to town, so most of us know what to expect.

I agree with what bballBacker said in his thread, the next five games after Saturday will really show what kind of coach NU has in Doc. All very winnable.