What is the definition of a Game Manager?

True2tRA

I love coming to Huskerboard and reading the comments here. Some are very insightful, and some are worth a good laugh. (Many would say mine are neither.) One of the common comments that really gets me laughing hard is when people use the term Game Manager. You hear the term "Game Manager" a lot around the blogs, on ESPN, College Football and the NFL. Many people here use the term, but how many of you actually know the definition? How many of you have your own definition entirely?

From what I understand a game manager is a Quarterback who is not asked to make big plays. Not asked to do much, not asked to do extra, nothing fancy. He is expected to put long drives together, eat some game clock, complete short passes, not turn the ball over, score enough to keep it competitive but don't lose the game for the team. Long drives, chewing up game clock, and no turnovers seems to be the main theme for the "Game Manager". Trent Dilfer is a name that comes up often. He was key to the Baltimore Ravens run to the Super Bowl. He put together long drives, relied on defense, scored enough points, and didn't turn the ball over.

Do we have that at Nebraska? If you think so, tell me why you think so? What about Taylor fits that "Game Manager" term? So many people say he improved as a game manager and I guess I am confused on the meaning of the term or I'm not seeing it. Define Game Manager and how it applies to Taylor.

This isn't a bash Taylor thread, which I know will be the only comment most of you have to add to this discussion, (which is unfortunate). This is an opinion piece about your definition of the term. If you don't want to apply it to Taylor, or don't think it does apply, then don't even mention his name. I am just interested in the thousands of definitions the "Game Manager" seems to have.

A game manager is a 'coach' on the field. Has strong leadership abilities. Patient, relaxed and doesn't make mistakes. I don't really think big plays have anything to do with it.

edit...They may or may not make big plays...it doesn't matter.

Taylor made Pangia size improvements in this department this year. Many want the kid to pop off 40+ yard runs. I would rather see he 'manage' the game.

• Fire 2

Managing the game is about running the offense. It's about distributing the ball to the right guy, making the right reads, getting the offense in the right play for how the defense is lined up, maintaining tempo or managing the huddle, and generally just getting his teammates in the best position for them to make plays. Taylor made serious improvement in this category during his sophomore year.

Well, all QBs must be able to manage the offense. Even stars like Sam Bradford, Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley.

I think the specific meaning of the term game manager is someone who is very limited in abilityL can't stretch the field with his arm, isn't pin-point accurate and can't thread the needle, isn't a tremendous running threat, etc...Someone who is not a dominant or elite player, but makes up for that with an very good, coach-like understanding of the game.

Zac Taylor is the quintessential game manager in my opinion. Not a difference-maker on his own, not great athletic ability, but runs the offense and all its facets very well.

Taylor, no matter what role he is asked to play, won't be a very good game manager, because of his inexperience at the QB spot. He can be brought along to adequate, where he isn't a liability in that department, but I think asking for more is unrealistic. Taylor is all about the game-breaker running.

Well, all QBs must be able to manage the offense. Even stars like Sam Bradford, Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley.

I think the specific meaning of the term game manager is someone who is very limited in abilityL can't stretch the field with his arm, isn't pin-point accurate and can't thread the needle, isn't a tremendous running threat, etc...Someone who is not a dominant or elite player, but makes up for that with an very good, coach-like understanding of the game.

Zac Taylor is the quintessential game manager in my opinion. Not a difference-maker on his own, not great athletic ability, but runs the offense and all its facets very well.

Taylor, no matter what role he is asked to play, won't be a very good game manager, because of his inexperience at the QB spot. He can be brought along to adequate, where he isn't a liability in that department, but I think asking for more is unrealistic. Taylor is all about the game-breaker running.

Great example in Zac Taylor. I respect the hell out of that guy. That man was a leader no doubt about it.

I love coming to Huskerboard and reading the comments here. Some are very insightful, and some are worth a good laugh. (Many would say mine are neither.) One of the common comments that really gets me laughing hard is when people use the term Game Manager. You hear the term "Game Manager" a lot around the blogs, on ESPN, College Football and the NFL. Many people here use the term, but how many of you actually know the definition? How many of you have your own definition entirely?

From what I understand a game manager is a Quarterback who is not asked to make big plays. Not asked to do much, not asked to do extra, nothing fancy. He is expected to put long drives together, eat some game clock, complete short passes, not turn the ball over, score enough to keep it competitive but don't lose the game for the team. Long drives, chewing up game clock, and no turnovers seems to be the main theme for the "Game Manager". Trent Dilfer is a name that comes up often. He was key to the Baltimore Ravens run to the Super Bowl. He put together long drives, relied on defense, scored enough points, and didn't turn the ball over.

Do we have that at Nebraska? If you think so, tell me why you think so? What about Taylor fits that "Game Manager" term? So many people say he improved as a game manager and I guess I am confused on the meaning of the term or I'm not seeing it. Define Game Manager and how it applies to Taylor.

This isn't a bash Taylor thread, which I know will be the only comment most of you have to add to this discussion, (which is unfortunate). This is an opinion piece about your definition of the term. If you don't want to apply it to Taylor, or don't think it does apply, then don't even mention his name. I am just interested in the thousands of definitions the "Game Manager" seems to have.

Beat me to it. I was going to say Taylor and would even throw in Lee from 2009.

Actually a pretty good topic.....

I tend to agree with almost every post, although a few differ a little. The Zac Lee reference was "spot on" IMO..... A game manager also knows his limitations and plays "within" the system. This doesn't mean that he can't or won't take chances once in awhile, but mostly does exactly what all of you guys have said.

I think that a "game manager" can also have "game breaking" plays. I tend to think of Alex Smith for the Niners. He has a good grasp of the offense. And , in some cases, is able to break a big play.... maybe a safe pass to a wide open TE, who then in turn, takes it 40+ yards for a TD.... Playing under control, putting team in good schematic formations, and typically doesn't beat themselves...

And, as many know, I am a TM supporter, but not to the extent that I refuse to recognize his faults...With that said, I agree with most so far, in saying that this is an area in which he has improved, and will continue to improve as he gets more than 2 years of experience... Once he gets completely in tuned with the "game manager" role, he will be more relaxed and will be able to just PLAY and not THINK as much.... In turn, he may move from a game manager to a game changer.... ( a label that many have already given him)

The Alabama QB was a game manager. When I think game manager it's similar to what most of you have said. Manage the huddle, read the defense, distribute the ball to your playmakers, avoid turnovers, etc. One of the best qualities of a true game manager is they ensure the opposing defense will not shift the momentum of the game. It's not always exciting, it's almost mythodical, it's consistent, it's reliable. A game manager doesn't turn the ball over, they won't take a sack for huge loss, they rarely go 3-in-out. A game manager will win you the field position battle nearly every game.

• Fire 2

The Alabama QB was a game manager. When I think game manager it's similar to what most of you have said. Manage the huddle, read the defense, distribute the ball to your playmakers, avoid turnovers, etc. One of the best qualities of a true game manager is they ensure the opposing defense will not shift the momentum of the game. It's not always exciting, it's almost mythodical, it's consistent, it's reliable. A game manager doesn't turn the ball over, they won't take a sack for huge loss, they rarely go 3-in-out. A game manager will win you the field position battle nearly every game.

This is a good run-down. I would say Zac Lee circa 2009 was Nebraska's best "game manager" in the last decade.

To respond to some of the posts above, I don't think of Zac Taylor as a game manager. He slung the ball around quite a bit - more than a "safe" player would, which I think is a word necessary in the game manager definition.

I've always found the term game manager a bit superfluous. Peyton Manning is a great game manager. Drew Brees is a great game manager. Tom Brady is a great game manager. The only distinction people make between a "game manager" and quarterbacks like these three is that they can make almost any throw. It's a ridiculous term when all of these guys are great game managers, but one characteristic apparently separates them entirely from the 'game manager' tag.

I've always found the term game manager a bit superfluous. Peyton Manning is a great game manager. Drew Brees is a great game manager. Tom Brady is a great game manager. The only distinction people make between a "game manager" and quarterbacks like these three is that they can make almost any throw. It's a ridiculous term when all of these guys are great game managers, but characteristic apparently separates them entirely.

It's one of those phrases that doesn't mean what it says, at least not as specifically as you're defining it. I agree that most times Brees and Manning are good game managers, but in the football lexicon, "game manager" means not just what those guys do, but a guy who does things safely, not aggressively, and whose primary job is to not lose.