Husker baseball expectations?

Jaybird

So Husker Baseball fans, with practice starting yesterday and the start of the season getting very close now, what are you expectations for the season? I know we have a new staff in place and a pretty young team. It sounds like there is a lot of competition at all positions and they have really been working hard in the off season. What do you think they will be able to accomplish in season 1 under the guidance of Erstad?

I would say we will have a major energy boost, I personally like the idea of the hell on the base paths style of baseball. I think we have the talent to be very competitive in the non-conference games and should be the favorite in the conference. I do like the fact that many other universities have started to put some money into their baseball programs, so hopefully in the years to come the conference as a whole becomes much more respectable.

Maybe I am being overly confident but I would say a conference title and trip to the post season is in order in year one of our B1G run in Baseball.

What say you Husker Nation?

I don't really know what to expect out of the Huskers this year in baseball. They went 30 - 25 last year, 9 - 17 in the Big 12. From what i can tell, Big 12 was better in baseball than the Big Ten.

Even when you look at the preseason polls for baseball, not a single Big Ten team is anywhere close to being in the Top 25. Like last year, Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M were ranked in our conference. Purdue is picked to be the favorite this year to win the Big Ten title.

I wouldn't be surprised if we pull out 35 wins this season. I won't go into conference play, i think we play 25 conference games, someone correct me if im wrong.

Here is a link to the Schedule as posted on Huskers.com. Looks like we have 24 Conference games (8, 3 game series).

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=33&SPSID=103

B1G in Baseball is not a very strong conference as shown in this conference RPI rating.

http://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2011/conferencerpi

That ranking puts the B1G at the 16th toughest conference in the nation. The Big XII was 3rd in reference.

I think we should be ok in conference starting out i just hope we can continue to recruit well to maintain it and keep dominating the conference.

Here is a link to the Schedule as posted on Huskers.com. Looks like we have 24 Conference games (8, 3 game series).

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=33&SPSID=103

B1G in Baseball is not a very strong conference as shown in this conference RPI rating.

http://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2011/conferencerpi

That ranking puts the B1G at the 16th toughest conference in the nation. The Big XII was 3rd in reference.

I think we should be ok in conference starting out i just hope we can continue to recruit well to maintain it and keep dominating the conference.

So the Minnesota game during the Dairy Queen event, isn't a conference game? Ok wasn't sure to count it.

i would like to see the tourny move around or find a permanent home in omaha. I expect a more excited team that has alot of spark. unlike MA teams that became flat. I think erstads decision making and aggressive playstyle will help this team achieve more this season. Illinois won the tourny last year with just over a .500 record if i recall correctly. I personally am excited to see many games this year when last year i could have cared less at the halfway point of the season.