Keeping them Home: 5* & 4* recruits in Nebraska

KEEPING THEM HOME

Here's a percentage breakdown from the past three recruiting classes (2009-2011) showing how many four- and five-star prospects signed with an in-state school.

Nebraska 100 percent (3 of 3)

Wisconsin 100 percent (4 of 4)

Alabama 88 percent (29 of 33)

Michigan 75 percent (18 of 24)

Mississippi 73 percent (22 of 30)

Louisiana 68.5 percent (24 of 35)

Iowa 67 percent (4 of 6)

LINK

It's great to see us at the top of this list. Too bad the state of Nebraska doesn't produce a dozen or so four/five star recruits per year.

• Fire 1

KEEPING THEM HOME

Here's a percentage breakdown from the past three recruiting classes (2009-2011) showing how many four- and five-star prospects signed with an in-state school.

Nebraska 100 percent (3 of 3)

Wisconsin 100 percent (4 of 4)

Alabama 88 percent (29 of 33)

Michigan 75 percent (18 of 24)

Mississippi 73 percent (22 of 30)

Louisiana 68.5 percent (24 of 35)

Iowa 67 percent (4 of 6)

LINK

It's great to see us at the top of this list. Too bad the state of Nebraska doesn't produce a dozen or so four/five star recruits per year.

Wow. Those southern states generate so much in-state talent. How can schools compete against that? No wonder the SEc is so tough to contend with.

Wow. Those southern states generate so much in-state talent. How can schools compete against that? No wonder the SEc is so tough to contend with.

Compare their chart of States producing the most 'Rivals' 4 & 5 stars with the second one that shows the number of current NFL (as of 2010) players listed by the State from which they graduated HS.

Interesting difference isn't it? Virtually every southern State is rated higher by Rivals than by NFL scouts conversely northern States are almost universally rated lower.

Rivals:

Florida 160

Texas 138

California 113

Georgia 74

Ohio 46

Louisiana 35

Alabama 33

South Carolina 32

North Carolina 31

Mississippi 30

Virginia 30

Pennsylvania 28

Maryland 26

Illinois 25

TSUN 24

Players in the NFL:

(-2) California 211

(NC) Texas 181

(+2) Florida 177

(-1) Ohio 85

(+1) Georgia 80

(NC) Louisiana 68

(-5) Pennsylvania 56

(at least -7) New Jersey 55 (not in top 15 according to Rivals)

(-6) TSUN 53

(+3) Alabama 50

(NC) Virginia 50

(+4) South Carolina 46

(-1) Illinois 43

(+5) North Carolina 42

(at least +5) Mississppi not in the top 14 NFL producers

(at least +2) Maryland not in the top 14 NFL producers

The number in parenthesis is the difference in overall standing on the Rivals list as compared to the NFL one.

^^ I'd say your NFL numbers pretty closely mirror the 4*/5* numbers. They look remarkably close to me, percentage wise.

Really?

Rivals - Florida produces 40% more talent than California

NFL - Cali produces 20% more players than Florida

Rivals - Georgia produces 60% more talent than Ohio

NFL - Ohio produces 6% more players than Georgia

Rivals - South Carolina produces 14% more talent than PA

NFL - Penn. produces 21% more players than SC

Rivals - NC produces 30% more talent than TSUN

NFL - TSUN produces 26% more players than NC

Players in the NFL:

(-2) California 211

(NC) Texas 181

(+2) Florida 177

(-1) Ohio 85

Maybe I misunderstood your stats. I took the above quote to mean that California produces 2 fewer (-2) NFL players than the number of 4*/5* players coming from California. Texas is even (NC). And Florida produces 2 more (+2) NFL players than the number of of 4*/5* players from Florida. Does it mean something else?

^^ I'd say your NFL numbers pretty closely mirror the 4*/5* numbers. They look remarkably close to me, percentage wise.

I would hope so. Seems like the NFL practice of prefering 'measurables' has worked its way down into the HS rating systems. Probably doesn't help that the majority of population centers are in warm weather at this point. Football culture is pretty engrained in those areas too so they are more polished at an early age. That lends to getting an extra star when someone is on the edge.

Maybe I misunderstood your stats. I took the above quote to mean that California produces 2 fewer (-2) NFL players than the number of 4*/5* players coming from California. Texas is even (NC). And Florida produces 2 more (+2) NFL players than the number of of 4*/5* players from Florida. Does it mean something else?

Sorry for not doing a better job of clarifying

California is #1 at putting players into the NFL

Rivals lists them as the #3 producer of 4/5 stars

California is 2 spots lower on the Rivals list overall than the NFL one

So (-2).

Hope that helps.

I would hope so. Seems like the NFL practice of prefering 'measurables' has worked its way down into the HS rating systems. Probably doesn't help that the majority of population centers are in warm weather at this point. Football culture is pretty engrained in those areas too so they are more polished at an early age. That lends to getting an extra star when someone is on the edge.

Go & look at the actual numbers in the two charts. It shows that northern (and western) States are putting far more players into the NFL than southern based services like Rivals predict.

Pennsylvania & TSUN are both ranked by Rivals as having fewer prospects than North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi & Virginia yet each State puts more players into the NFL than any of the previously listed southern ones.

Players in the NFL:

(-2) California 211

(NC) Texas 181

(+2) Florida 177

(-1) Ohio 85

I think the number in parenthesis is the difference in rank - e.g., California is ranked two spots lower in the Rivals list than in the NFL list, Florida is two spots higher in rivals, etc.

Edit: Apparently I don't type fast enough.

Edited by Mavric

I see what you are saying Muck.

It would be interesting to see some info on the next step from these numbers. Specifically, where they are from, where they go/went to school (stick with the state theme), and who they were drafted by. That would provide some regional context and probably some more head scratching. Is this information stored anywhere? The data analysis would be pretty simple.